Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Spintris - NTSC/PAL video game for Propeller — Parallax Forums

Spintris - NTSC/PAL video game for Propeller

JT CookJT Cook Posts: 487
edited 2007-12-17 10:08 in Propeller 1
Spintris - 12-15-07 - Source code release

Tetris video game for NTSC or PAL·TVs,·features·2 player with sound from Andrew Arsenault's HSS sound driver.

2 player version includes first to eliminate 25 lines or battle where if a player eliminates 2 or more lines, it will add those lines, minus 1, to the other player's playfield.

Play using the keyboard or gamepads.

Includes source code configurations for Hydra, Hybrid, and Demo boards

Post Edited (JT Cook) : 12/16/2007 3:22:33 AM GMT

Comments

• JT CookJT Cook Posts: 487
    edited 2007-12-16 02:41
    I also have had this posted in the Hydra forums, but now I have released the source and added support for demo boards/proto boards. Even if you have a different configuration you easily be able to remap keyboard, video, and audio pins to whatever setup you have.

Any coments/question/etc feel free to post them.

*edit* Just fixed a bug with the battle mode, now on source release 2 smile.gif

Post Edited (JT Cook) : 12/16/2007 3:23:10 AM GMT
  • PerryPerry Posts: 253
    edited 2007-12-16 14:58
    Nice little toy! , while not a gamer 'tris has some fascination for me. Way back about 1984 I started a job and all of the software engineers there seemed to be spending more time on 'tris than on work. LOL.

One bit of advice though, not all demo board users use the recommended pins for video. I changed the example demo board configuration to this:

basepin = 16
      Video_Pins = (basepin & $38) << 1 | (basepin & 4 == 4) & %0101       ' pin location for video out

Perry
  • ClemensClemens Posts: 236
    edited 2007-12-16 15:26
    Wow, thats cool, JT! Looks very nice on my PAL TV, the colors are well chosen, there Is hardly any noticable colorflicker. Thank you very much! This can be seen as a best practice project running on hydra/hybrid/demoboard, ntsc/pal, keyboard/NES/Atari.
  • JT CookJT Cook Posts: 487
    edited 2007-12-17 04:57
    Perry: I am glad you were able to get it to work ok.

Clemons: I live in The States and just have NTSC TVs (the one I use with the Prop is run through RF) and I checked out PAL through my video capture card and I couldn't beleive how vibrant and clear it was. It actually has me jelous of PAL owners.
  • BaggersBaggers Posts: 3,019
    edited 2007-12-17 10:08
    Yeah JT good choice of colours, looks crisp on PAL
  • Excuse the decade-spanning necropost, but here's an improved version I wrote at some point (that point being earlier today...)
    Features include:
    - controls that don't suck
    - scoring in singleplayer mode
    - improved piece randomization
    - blanking the screen when the game is paused
  • cgraceycgracey Posts: 14,133
    Wuerfel_21 wrote: »
    Excuse the decade-spanning necropost, but here's an improved version I wrote at some point (that point being earlier today...)
    Features include:
    - controls that don't suck
    - scoring in singleplayer mode
    - improved piece randomization
    - blanking the screen when the game is paused

Any chance you could post a video of it running?
  • Here you go:

Doesn't really look very different from the old version, except for the addition of aforementioned scoring.

I'm trying to do a thing where I archive and document all the P1 games (and other video-outputting applications) anyways, might as well work a bit on that while I've got the capture card hooked up...
  • Wuerfel_21Wuerfel_21 Posts: 4,370
    edited 2019-10-03 15:56
    I've noticed the randomizer sometimes getting biased towards large floods of Z pieces (one can see this in the video - it deosn't happen every time) when there wasn't one among the first couple pieces (due to bag refill being biased towards them). Bag refill in case of a drought length tie is now random, which should fix this issue.
  • Well, I did one last year, so I guess I had to... Here's another update:

- Added music and new sound effects (I'll post Oscilloscope videos in the Retronitus thread later)
    - Improved the controls some more
    - Cleaned up the code a little

• Wuerfel_21Wuerfel_21 Posts: 4,370
    edited 2020-10-12 20:18
    Oh, and here's the video for the new update: (still unlisted so I can set it public after I finish the current batch of gunk...)

Additionally, here's a nice photo: S7300832.JPG
    3072 x 2304 - 4M
  • It's amazing how much more enjoyable sound and music make a game...sounds great :mrgreen: ...the stereo really adds to it, too. I think I have this on my P1 games SD...will have to update it to this ver

Cheers

• avsa242 wrote: »
    It's amazing how much more enjoyable sound and music make a game...sounds great :mrgreen: ...the stereo really adds to it, too.
    Inndeed. A lot of the P1 games don't have good (or any!) audio, despite @Ahle2 's best efforts :) And yeah, the voices playing the chords are on the surround channel, makes it sound really wide. And I do think my new sound effects are a lot nicer than what was here before.
    avsa242 wrote: »
    I think I have this on my P1 games SD...will have to update it to this ver
    Be sure to stop by the archive while you're at it - you might find something you haven't seen before. Also check out Spin Hexagon if you haven't yet.
  • I haven't tried to play it yet (I played it somewhere else awhile back...Android? Steam? I forget now...) and remember how bad I sucked at it lol...but it was pretty fun...I'll check it out in the next few days if I can remember to
    One thing I just remembered though, unfortunately, my Prop game board is a Propeller Platform USB...I think the audio on it was only a mono RCA jack...that'll hurt. Will have to rig up a controller to a different board or see if it's practical to hack on a second jack to the Platform
  • @Wuerfel_21
    Did you ever post your Ventilator Computer design?
    I've seen the Schematic. Do you have photos? Or other design tips?
    I'm interested in this!
  • DaveJenson wrote: »
    @Wuerfel_21
    Did you ever post your Ventilator Computer design?
    I've seen the Schematic. Do you have photos? Or other design tips?
    I'm interested in this!

No. I guess I could post the EAGLE files for Rev A, but I kinda don't want to, since it has a bunch of terrible problems. Yet I'm kinda too lazy to design a new fixed version... I eventually want to make it available as a kit, but that's gonna take some cost optimization - I think I paid ~120€ to build the single unit, I'd hope to push that to maybe 60€ (for a small run), which I think would be a good price.

Here, I've compiled a couple images...

In terms of design tips / lessons learned:
    - make sure your components actually match your footprint - my PS/2 socket isn't properly mounted...
    - increase the clearance between pin holes and your ground fill - I just recently had the video signal intermittently short to ground until I scratched around the pins a bit.
    - Audio AC coupling caps should be larger than 47uF to reduce attenuation of bass frequencies.
    - It'd be good to better decouple/isolate the SD card power supply to reduce noise on the audio outputs
    - I think doing the proper 5V level shifting for the SNES gamepad port paid off - I can use a bluetooth dongle on it, although its inrush current seems to trigger a brown out when powering on.
    - If you want to solder to a DIN plug, use leaded solder.
  • Thank you!
  • That. Was. Incredible!