Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Lunch with Sir Gordon — Parallax Forums

Lunch with Sir Gordon

ercoerco Posts: 20,250
edited 2015-01-22 14:06 in General Discussion
I just had lunch with my favorite robot author and well-known forumista Gordon McComb. Many of us have his book "Robot Builder's Bonanza" on our shelves or in our e-readers. What a great guy! This was my first time and pleasure meeting Gordon. We've chatted (and sparred) in the forum and swapped a few emails over the years. He lives ~90 miles from me and came up for an afternoon meeting with the Spinmaster people who designed the Meccanoid robot which debuted at CES.

We chatted for nearly 3 hours and could have easily gone 3 more. Gordon is incredibly articulate and has experience in all aspects of robots and business. He should be a keynote speaker when Parallax has another Robotics Expo (it's been 3 years)! And now he even has the proper headwear for just such an occasion. :)

attachment.php?attachmentid=112892&d=1421882121

Comments

• Duane DegnDuane Degn Posts: 10,588
    edited 2015-01-21 15:22
    I'm envious of you both (and not just for your hats).

Next time I'm in southern California I'm going hunt at least one of you down to buy lunch (I'll buy, not force either of you to do so).

Sounds like a lot of fun.
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,250
    edited 2015-01-21 15:43
    Hurry, Duano, I only have one hat left for the next forumista who visits me here in God's country!
  • PublisonPublison Posts: 12,366
    edited 2015-01-21 15:48
    Great that you two go together. That had to be a GREAT meeting.

There had to be something that came out of that.

We will wait to hear the unavailing. :)
  • zappmanzappman Posts: 418
    edited 2015-01-21 15:59
    Wish I could have been there!

I wish there was a Propeller / Robotics Expo in the Mid-Atlantic region of the east coast.

Nice hats and I like your T-Shirt
    attachment.php?attachmentid=112893&d=1421884440
    edited 2015-01-21 16:06
    zappman wrote: »
    I wish there was a Propeller / Robotics Expo in the Mid-Atlantic region of the east cost.

Capital idea!

Gordon and I are available for traveling expos, birthdays, anniversaries and bar mitzvahs.

Clothes make the roboteer! Pretty fast fingers, zappman!
  • ValeTValeT Posts: 308
    edited 2015-01-22 03:59
    Wish I could have been there!

I wish there was a Propeller / Robotics Expo in the Mid-Atlantic region of the east coast.

attachment.php?attachmentid=112893&d=1421884440

@zappman:

Luckily, there is an expo coming up that Parallax might be at. It is called RobotFest and is located in Baltimore, Maryland. The timing is in April though, so a little ways to go still.

http://www.robotfest.com

ValeT
  • GordonMcCombGordonMcComb Posts: 3,366
    edited 2015-01-22 09:14
    Who's that old guy with you? I don't recognize him! :)

A had a great time too, and I was able to see the one-servo figure-8 walker in action.

Funny story: After occupying the table in the restaurant well past the lunch hour, we decided to go out to the car to continue chatting. Erco put his box of goodies on the top of the car, and no fewer than half a dozen people came by to warn us of it before we drove off!
    edited 2015-01-22 09:36
    Who's that old guy with you?

Nonsense! Don't trust anyone who doesn't have some gray in their beard, kiddies!
  • Heater.Heater. Posts: 21,230
    edited 2015-01-22 10:20
    Looks as cool a pair of dudes as I ever saw.

I'm curious. What's in the cardboard box on the table there?
    edited 2015-01-22 10:34
    Heater. wrote: »
    . What's in the cardboard box on the table there?

Why, some of Erco's CoolVentions, of course.

Speaking of my visit with Spin Master later the same day (Erco hooked me up with them - thanks Erco!), they just posted this neat video from CNN with Morgan Spurlock:

There WILL be ways to control this thing using a Propeller or even BS2. Oh, yes. Fun times are coming!
    edited 2015-01-22 11:28
    Publison wrote: »
    There had to be something that came out of that. We will wait to hear the unavailing. :)
    What's in the cardboard box on the table there?

The future of the free world was forever changed by this meeting and the contents of that box.

Now Gordon, remember our NDA! :)
  • Heater.Heater. Posts: 21,230
    edited 2015-01-22 12:08
    erco,

Your secrets are safe, NDA or not, Gordon does not even remember he was there (see post #8) :)

Only joking Gordon.
    edited 2015-01-22 14:06
    Your secrets are safe, NDA or not, Gordon does not even remember he was there (see post #8) :)

I only remember the Peruvian chicken. And it was delicious!