Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
What happened to FTDI US232B USB to Serial Adapter — Parallax Forums

What happened to FTDI US232B USB to Serial Adapter

GuidoGuido Posts: 195
edited 2006-08-18 00:39 in BASIC Stamp
·I just purchased your new USB adapter......Not very impressed for a couple of reasons!
·My fault did no reall realize it has a mini B adapter. You need to order the 6' cable( Which I didn't!)
·I liked the old one where you just pluged it into your USB Port! Now we seem to be getting into a male-female coupler to directly plug into my USB Port!
Sorry Parallax But sometimes change is not the best!
Wish I could order the old design!
My Opinion
Guidonono.gif

Comments

• allanlane5allanlane5 Posts: 3,815
    edited 2006-08-17 00:27
    I'm not sure FTDI still sells their USB adapter. It sounds from their website like they've become a chip vendor.
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2006-08-17 14:58
    Guido,

·· We stopped carrying the other version because it was $34.00 and still required a Serial Cable ($10.00) to use it.· By contrast, our new adapter is $17.95 with the cable.· Should you not need the cable (for example if you have one from a USB-BOE, PDB or BSLA) you can save·money and get the adapter by itself for $14.95.· While the web page mentions that we have the adapter with and without the cable, we appreciate your feedback and will try to make it even more clear on our website.· If you ever have any·product or compatibility questions, feel free to contact our Sales or Tech Support departments and we will do our best to help you.· Take care.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    csavage@parallax.com

Post Edited (Chris Savage (Parallax)) : 8/17/2006 3:02:17 PM GMT
  • GuidoGuido Posts: 195
    edited 2006-08-18 00:39
    Chris,

I appreciate your response. Like I said I did not see the $17.95 unit and just ordered the USB adapter. I purchased a mini to USB adapter today, but I do no like the design even with the savings. One I am using a Desk top PC, which adds about 3.5" not including the RS232 connector to the length of the PC. Basically shoving it to the wall I have to be carefull. With the old unit it had the 2-3 inch Normal USB adapter that really saved space. Even though you do sell the 6' adapter, I still need the RS232 for my projects. I just don't need an extra 6 feet of cable tossed behind the computer.

Sorry but that is my feelings about your unit. I just picked up the adapter today so I hope the Drivers are working.

Thanks Again Chris, Maybe they could somehow come up with another design or shorter USB adapter cables!!!!

Guido