Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
That's my dog - A Taiwanese Tugo [with a bit of Huskie] — Parallax Forums

That's my dog - A Taiwanese Tugo [with a bit of Huskie]

LoopyBytelooseLoopyByteloose Posts: 12,537
edited 2004-08-19 08:26 in General Discussion
For what it is worth,
my avitar has a photo of my dog - Shao Hei.

Forgive me for being so, but I am very proud of the guy -- wonderful personality and intelligent.

If you look carefully, you will see that he has one blue eye and one brown eye.
This is because one of his parents was a Huskie and the other a local street dog.

The Taiwanese believe his Yin-Yang eyes can see ghost, but sadly his white feet are considered unlucky as the will take money out of the home.

I prefer to think those eyes reverse his bad luck and make it into good forture. (He certainly makes a lot of new friends for me where ever I go)

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
G. Herzog in Taiwan

Comments

• GadgetmanGadgetman Posts: 2,436
    edited 2004-08-12 13:18
    Woof?

I'm more of a cat person(cats doesn't need to be taken out for walks...), but he looks nice.

smile.gif
  • Jim EwaldJim Ewald Posts: 733
    edited 2004-08-12 15:38
    I used to have a beagle that loved to raid the neighbor's outdoor grill when they were not looking. Shao Hei looks like he has some Doberman in him, based on the long snout and the pointy ears. He's a good looking animal.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Jim
    Parallax IT Dept.
  • J. A. StreichJ. A. Streich Posts: 158
    edited 2004-08-13 04:33
    I'm a cat person too, I have 2 and we're watching a third cat for a little while. My cats are so funny when it comes to BOE, They are a little afraid of them, so they stay back a little ways; but, they are also curious so they gather in the room and watch it. After a little while one of them will want to play with the bot, and that when I put it away... As pouncing on a bot can unseat the stamp or pull wires lose.
    edited 2004-08-13 09:41
    We have an older cat that want's nothing to do with the Boe-Bot. The cat usually heads for high ground when the Boe-Bot rumbles into the room.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Jim
    Parallax IT Dept.
  • LoopyBytelooseLoopyByteloose Posts: 12,537
    edited 2004-08-14 13:55
    Maybe, we have found a new robotic product -- animal control.
    You can have a bot make a pathway for the post man, run off that noisy cats at 3AM, or chase the dogs off your lawn.

Shao Hei definitely does not like my toddler - Taiwan Todd. Bots just seem to make him nervous.
    I had a cat [noparse][[/noparse]called Sock] that I bought a wind-up mouse to play with -- but it was the same thing.
    It ran for high ground. Regular mice were okay.

By the way... they say.....
    Cats have a great deal of contempt for any animal that can only wag its tail side by side.
    On the other hand, if you feed a cat, it remebers what it ate.
    If you feed a dog, it remembers you.

I'd rather have the friendship though I have had a good cat friendship too.

I AM NOT A PURIST in anything, THEY LEARN LESS.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    G. Herzog in Taiwan
    edited 2004-08-14 15:40
    I spent an entire summer trying to teach the cat to open a sliding screen door. I thought that, if the animal, wanted to come in bad enough, it would learn how to do this. Now the cat will sit outside, making all sorts of noise, until someone opens the screen door. But there are times that the cat will slide the door open when it suits the needs of the cat. I'm convinced that cats believe that we are here to serve them.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Jim
    Parallax IT Dept.
  • J. A. StreichJ. A. Streich Posts: 158
    edited 2004-08-14 22:01
    Dogs think that we are gods, cats think that they are gods.

A animal control bot is kinda cool, an animal controlled bot would be even more cool... I read about a researcher who has interfeced with a monkey's mind to control a simple arm, now if only that amount of control was possible with contact sensors... *dreams of a day when cats control little "mouse bots" ... Dreams of the day a dog can turn a light on and off with thought ... worries about a day when robots conrolled by animals enslave man kind*
  • LoopyBytelooseLoopyByteloose Posts: 12,537
    edited 2004-08-19 08:02
    How about using a BasicStamp for an automated pet feeder.

It could be tied to the telephone and you could dial in and feed remotely.

The Japanese are advertising one such item for 60,000YEN ( a mere $500 plus USD)

Actually, decoding the telephone with X10 interfacing (BS2p) you could control a lot of things when away from home,

and you could tie them all into your IR remote control as well when you are home.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    G. Herzog in Taiwan

Post Edited (Herzog) : 8/23/2004 1:25:10 PM GMT
  • GadgetmanGadgetman Posts: 2,436
    edited 2004-08-19 08:26
    IT Guy (Parallax) said...
    I spent an entire summer trying to teach the cat to open a sliding screen door. I thought that, if the animal, wanted to come in bad enough, it would learn how to do this. Now the cat will sit outside, making all sorts of noise, until someone opens the screen door. But there are times that the cat will slide the door open when it suits the needs of the cat. I'm convinced that cats believe that we are here to serve them.

Cats do whatever suits them best...

We once had a cat that jumped up onto the banister and used the doorbell when he wanted to get in.

The cat we have now knows hot to open a door that has been left slightly ajar, but refuses to do it herself if anyone is nearby to open it for her.

The big difference between cats and dogs is that you can teach a dog just about any trick, but a cat will only learn what it believes to be advantageous to itself. (Taking orders is considered 'not advantageous' by cats)

·