Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
EMIC2 as tone generator? — Parallax Forums

EMIC2 as tone generator?

Hi,
Ive been trying to figure out if I can get the EMIC2 to produce a continuous tone of specific frequency, but not getting anywhere. It seems it just plays tweaked up phonemes where the pitch and duration can be set to specific values.
Is it possible to play a specific (pure) tone, and also how do I get it to play it, or a "tone phoneme" continuously until terminated by 'X".
thanks and regards,
JEFF

Comments

• ercoerco Posts: 20,244
    Hopefully Emic-2 Joe Grand will chime in here.

Funny that the tone you describe is easily generated by most any micro, all the way down to a BS-1, but perhaps not easily or obviously by the Emic. Presumably you are using some micro with your Emic. Heck, even a 4-cent 555 timer is up to that task.

So there are two possible backup plans for you.
  • Thanks. Yes, using PIC to control EMIC2, but would prefer not to use another external IC such as 555 and therefore another speaker. Want to integrate tone function into PIC+EMIC2+speaker functionality. My question about how to code for continuous tone is the one really need to solve.
  • Are you applying a constant pin for it to repeat the phoneme?
    If so, have you tried pulsing the pin?
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,244
    You can contact Emic2 inventor Joe Grand at http://www.grandideastudio.com/contact/
  • Thanks for your help with this, guys.
    I have sent and email to Joe Grand.
    regards,
    JEFF