Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Man builds working mechanical television camera & monitor — Parallax Forums

Man builds working mechanical television camera & monitor

Comments

• Heater.Heater. Posts: 21,230
    Tohle je krásné

Technology from my father land. Original Tesla tubes and all.

Interestingly, before the second world war the BBC broadcast both mechanical and electron tube TV from the same place, Crystal Palace, for a while. Two transmitters, two sets of studios, etc. It was some kind of test to see which people preferred. They were both crappy at the time.

Seems neither of them had figured out how to send picture and sound at the same time. You would get the image of the presenter, news reader, actors, whatever, for a while. Then the picture would go blank and you hear them speak. And so on.

Just so happened that the mechanical TV studios burned down during the test period. Then came the war which put a halt to TV progress for a long time.

• Oh my stars........ I was at Maker Faire today. erco those robots of yours need to be crowd trained, as I could see them tripping over people.

I stopped in the internal portion, inside the New York Hall of Science. they had the usual activities. But one group, who I believe might have been NYC Resistor, I couldn't find their banner. It concerned the right and wrong way to do video generation, and one had simple stuff going. We were talking about that activity.
  • Heater,

There is an article on Mechanical Television at the Talking Electronics website.
    I am amazed at what can be done with much cruder technology.
  • Heater.Heater. Posts: 21,230
    Ah, the famous Colin Mitchell.

Wish he'd sort out is web site design.

Do you have a link to the article?
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,250
    LOVE the wooden case and point to point wiring.

Old school rulez!
  • Heater,

Just scroll down the list on the right until you see Mechanical TV. Luckily it's in alphabetical order.
    http://www.talkingelectronics.com/te_interactive_index.html