Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Auto Complete window for Propeller Serial Terminal functions won't let me select a choice — Parallax Forums

Auto Complete window for Propeller Serial Terminal functions won't let me select a choice

I start typing pst.(text here) and I get the pop up list for auto completion but I can't find a key to let me insert the selection. I have to click it with the mouse...
I'm new to the Propeller IDE but not microprocessors, etc.
I'm using my Mac for this, with all the latest software everywhere.

Comments

• avsa242avsa242 Posts: 429
    edited 2017-09-09 18:41
    jlastofka wrote: »
    I start typing pst.(text here) and I get the pop up list for auto completion but I can't find a key to let me insert the selection. I have to click it with the mouse...
    I'm new to the Propeller IDE but not microprocessors, etc.
    I'm using my Mac for this, with all the latest software everywhere.

jlastofka,

If you mean PropellerIDE, you can select a symbol from the list it brings up using the up and down arrow keys and hit Enter on the selection. If it's bringing up the box when you don't want it to, you can just press the period "." key again, and it should close the box. Hope this helps.

Cheers,
    Jesse
  • Thanks for trying to help, but I know about those steps. They work on my Windows machine but didn't on my Mac. It's a fairly new Mac and I have all the latest updates. I loaded the USB serial driver and the IDE on the Mac and found a few oddities (like this popup list selection thing). Then I started having problems with my USB ports, and the machine would hang at times (that pretty much never happens usually, like maybe a couple times per year....) and I finally used Time Machine to put my computer back a couple days and got rid of the flaky USB driver and the IDE. (I had first used the uninstall procedure from the USB software's website and it said it worked, but the problems didn't stop, so I doubt it.) The computer's been perfect as usual for a few days now:-) I'll use my Windows machine for this Parallax stuff I guess.

In decades of Mac use I've NEVER had to load a USB driver manually (what kind of crummy setup is that?) and I've NEVER had problems like I was having from this IDE and/or driver. Maybe others have different setups, but I don't know. Maybe Parallax doesn't have a real Mac programmer on staff and they just port the software over somehow and don't check it out very well.

I like the Propeller a lot, though:-) I'm doing some multi-channel radio control mixing functions and having a few cogs in parallel is going to be great.
  • Yeah Propeller IDE autocomplete is not fun on a Mac. I have the same problem too. I just press ESC every time it pops up to get rid of it. The period key doesn't work for me and Return doesn't do anything. Its either mouse or escape every time you press the # key. One trick I found when writing PASM constants, if you don't leave a space before the # it won't pop up the annoying/broken autocomplete thing. That helps a little.
    e.g.
    mov a,#3

instead of
    mov a, #3