Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
SX Key 3.0 Chip connection Error — Parallax Forums

SX Key 3.0 Chip connection Error

TfaseruTfaseru Posts: 2
edited 2015-08-11 20:47 in General Discussion
Im not sure if this question goes here. Im new to this forum.

I have followed all of the instructions to hook up this SX Key to my SX Tech Board. I am running into the error. Chip Connection Failed. I have no idea what to do. I have tested to voltage and I get always 4.9-5V.
The Resonator is in. OSC1 and OSC2 are connected in the right place and VSS is connected.

Please Help!

Comments

• Perhaps you should remove the resonator and let the SX-Key provide the oscillation while programing.

The may seem odd, but the SX-Key actually is capable of providing variable speed and single-step operation.
  • TfaseruTfaseru Posts: 2
    edited 2015-08-12 17:39
    Okay So I took the resonator out and I tried to verify the chip connection and the verification failed at the device or sometimes oscillator. :( Any advice there? Thanks for the previous advice though. It got me through one hurdle :)

One other thing is that I need 16MHz and I thought the key could only do up to 4MHz
  • LoopyBytelooseLoopyByteloose Posts: 12,537
    edited 2015-08-13 06:12
    Not sure what to say...
    we all tend to have difficulties the first time and have to check and recheck everything.
    First the obvious, and then the not so obvious.

Is it possible that bent a pin on the SX chip while inserting it?
    Is the back of the board clean and not in contact with anything that conducts electricity?
    Are your cables in good working order?
    Is your download software installed properly?
    And so on.....

Mostly I have 4Mhz, 20Mhz, and 50Mhz resonators... but I just may have a 16Mhz one that I could spare and mail to you. I would have to check my supply. Send me a private message with your postal address if you wish me to do so.
  • LoopyBytelooseLoopyByteloose Posts: 12,537
    edited 2015-08-13 09:58
    If all else fails, you might just set aside the SX-Tech board and breadboard an SX-28 chip and the SX-KEY with a 5VDC regulator (important for power to the SX-KEY, 3.3V won't work).

If that works, there is something wrong with the SX-Tech board.
    If it doesn't work, the problem lies in the bits in front of you. You might try a different SX-28 to see if that works.
  • Sometimes, one simply plugs in the SX- key upside down.