Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Parallax's Chris and Wendy Savage - an important call to our customers for assistance — Parallax Forums

Parallax's Chris and Wendy Savage - an important call to our customers for assistance

Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,386
edited 2015-06-22 10:50 in General Discussion
Hello,

This is the first time I've felt compelled to ask our customers to contribute financially to a need we feel is very important.

You are already familiar with our Tech Support Lead Chris Savage and the http://www.savagecircuits.com/content.php community he has built around the electronics and programming hobby we all enjoy. Parallax hired Chris from the very distant Upstate New York area over ten years ago. He came complete with a very supportive and kind wife Wendy along with their two sons to Rocklin, California. They're a very unassuming couple with positive support for each other. As Chris might say "in upstate New York we don't do things like you do in California" - a reminder that they're used to a simple life but have adapted to a place some may consider totally opposite of where they're from.

His commitment to Parallax and our customers is significant, having answered tens of thousands of e-mail and phone support inquiries while contributing to (and designing) many product improvements along the way. Between Savage Circuits and his articles, Chris seems to breath electronics and community.

Just recently, Wendy Savage was diagnosed with terminal stage four cancer in several portions of her body, including lungs. This was her second diagnosis from a brief reprieve that lasted over a year. Doctors have given her a limited lifespan of a few months to some period of time longer. Since the diagnosis, Chris continues to hold the course for his family and Parallax though this is not necessary, even training two replacements quickly. We're supporting Chris to take all the time he needs and to see that the parents are able to visit. Wendy continues to smile and keep a positive spirit at the same time, a humbling thought for people around her. We all realize what they're up against and the whole Parallax team stands together with them.

I'd like to ask our customers to consider making a financial contribution to Chris and Wendy. From what I'm seeing even at this stage, they're going to need a lot of help. The costs are significant: deductibles, urgent care appointments, very expensive medicines not covered by insurance, needs at home, etc. Having funds won't change the outcome, but it will make the coming days a lot easier with one less thing to worry about.

http://www.wendyjosavage.com/?page_id=357

There's a simple way to donate using PayPal, right here (edited from my prior post where I provided an incorrect link):

knight_designs@yahoo.com

I encourage you to consider a donation.

A refresh to this thread would be helpful as we keep this request visible.

Sincerely,

Ken Gracey
Parallax Inc.

Comments

• jonesjones Posts: 281
    edited 2015-02-17 09:11
    Ken, the Paypal link does not appear to be working. I got a "Sorry — your last action could not be completed" message.
  • PublisonPublison Posts: 12,366
    edited 2015-02-17 09:15
    jones wrote: »
    Ken, the Paypal link does not appear to be working. I got a "Sorry — your last action could not be completed" message.

You can use the first link to Savagecircuits.

http://www.savagecircuits.com/conten...-and-Gratitude

I have used that before to donate.
  • GordonMcCombGordonMcComb Posts: 3,366
    edited 2015-02-17 10:15
    Ken, thank you for posting this.

I used the link on the Savage Circuits link, and it worked fine.

I am so sorry to hear of this news.
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,248
    edited 2015-02-17 10:41
    Done, I used Pub's link to find http://www.savagecircuits.com/content.php?12-Wendy-s-Breast-Cancer-Benefit Paypal link on left.

Thanks for posting, Ken. God bless Wendy, Chris and their family at this very difficult time. Thoughts and prayers their way.
  • jonesjones Posts: 281
    edited 2015-02-17 11:18
    Publison wrote: »
    You can use the first link to Savagecircuits.

http://www.savagecircuits.com/conten...-and-Gratitude

I have used that before to donate.
    Thanks, that worked. I hope our donations will help.
  • GadgetmanGadgetman Posts: 2,436
    edited 2015-02-17 11:32
    There's a nice little checkbox on that donation page to set up a recurring payment...
    Many small streams a large river makes...
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2015-02-17 14:02
    Hey everyone! Wendy doesn't have an account on these forums, but she wanted me to convey our most heartfelt thanks for those who have donated and even those who are just sending well wishes/prayers/thoughts/etc. Sometimes it feels like we're sinking regardless of how well we handle things. Wendy shares her updates on my website so that others facing what she's going through might have some understanding of what they may be facing. She lays it all out and tries to keep a sense of humor in the face of a terminal circumstance. When she started getting notifications of your donations she was overwhelmed, shocked and happy all at the same time. Financial burdens invoke stress and add to an already unfortunate situation. So once again, thanks everyone! There's no sufficient way to express ourselves on these forums short of that.

As a note, if you've sent Wendy a donation you've been added to our Thank You banner on the side of the page. Sometimes people don't want to be listed or the name PayPal gives us isn't exactly right. Please let me know if I need to manually change anything on that banner.
  • JonnyMacJonnyMac Posts: 8,918
    edited 2015-02-17 15:44
    Chris,

I was saddened to learn about what you and Wendy are going through. My best to you both, and to your family. You're in my prayers.
  • doggiedocdoggiedoc Posts: 2,239
    edited 2015-02-17 16:29
    Chris has always been there for me. Hope I can help.

Paul
  • $WMc%$WMc% Posts: 1,884
    edited 2015-02-17 17:22
    My Heart goes out to the Savage Family.
    '
    I closed my PayPal account years ago, But I was able to donate via Visa card. Just an FYI to others that have done the same.
  • NWCCTVNWCCTV Posts: 3,629
    edited 2015-02-17 21:10
    Done. It's not much but I know it all helps. Chris and Wendy, our hearts go out to you both. Stay strong.
  • Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,386
    edited 2015-02-17 22:53
    NWCCTV wrote: »
    Done. It's not much but I know it all helps.

Anything will help, so it's appreciated. - Ken
  • MoskogMoskog Posts: 554
    edited 2015-02-18 00:34
    Chris has always been very kind and helpful, so why shouldn't we give a little help back.

Thanks to Ken too for this reminder.
  • ChetChet Posts: 150
    edited 2015-02-18 11:50
    Chris, I want to wish you and Wendy well. You have always been there for others and I hope the contribution will help. If more is needed more will come. You're in my prayers
    Stay strong
    edited 2015-02-18 12:44
    Hey everyone, Wendy has been in a lot of pain lately so she doesn't spend much time on the computer, however she sat down today to say, "Thank You!" to everyone and posted that at the link below. Please see the following article by her. As a note, I am still adding names to the list on that page. Thanks for your patience.

http://www.savagecircuits.com/content.php?227-A-Heartfelt-Personal-Thank-You
  • NWCCTVNWCCTV Posts: 3,629
    edited 2015-02-18 15:54
    Bump. I know it's against Forum rules but I think this thread needs to be at the top for a while.
  • Tim-MTim-M Posts: 522
    edited 2015-02-23 22:40
    Chris, Wendy and Family,

We may not have had the opportunity to meet one another, but know that each of you are in our prayers every day.

I couldn't agree more with Andy, this thread needs to stay at the top and in front of the most eyes possible!

Tim
    edited 2015-02-24 10:05
    Tim (and everyone else),

Thanks a lot! We really appreciate all the support the community has shown us. Wendy just posted an update that was important in the sense that for quite some time we've been worried about the amount of pain she was in constantly and it turns out that it may be the majority of that pain was related to something non-cancer. We haven't confirmed this yet, but that's what it seems. So while her cancer is still progressing and she's still stage IV (terminal) the pain has gone down significantly, which means she can now focus on her bucket list, which was very difficult up until Saturday. You guys are great! I've been reading all the posts and messages sent to us. She is in awe at the community support out here on the internet.
  • Martin HodgeMartin Hodge Posts: 1,246
    edited 2015-02-24 13:43
    I just can't imagine going through this. You have my sympathies.
  • Tracy AllenTracy Allen Posts: 6,656
    edited 2015-02-24 21:13
    Chris ,

I value your friendship through many years going back a long time on things BASIC Stamp, I think even before you started working for Parallax. You've been so steady with your helping hand and with your insights and contributions to the community. Now I am very saddened to learn how much you need that steady helping hand at home. And insights, I expect you and Wendy now have insights into frailties of body you never imagined or wanted, and strengths despite that. To both of you, and your family, my heartfelt hugs. And as a member of this community, we are at your side.
    edited 2015-02-25 08:52
    Martin, Tracy,

We're going to try and plan for Wendy to visit Lake Tahoe next week. We haven't seen our youngest in over a year so she's really looking forward to that. The rest of our family is in NY. It's the support of the community that really makes a difference in times like these.
    edited 2015-02-25 10:25
    Hey,

I found another way to donate and get Parallax gear as a plus!

Commander Data is selling two Professional Development Boards WITH a BS2pe chip for $80.00 each.

http://www.savagecircuits.com/showthread.php?695-Professional-Development-Board(s)

You will have to sign up with the SavageCircuits to buy. You should sign up anyway. It's a great site!
  • stamptrolstamptrol Posts: 1,731
    edited 2015-02-25 10:29
    Hi Chris,

So sorry to hear the troubles you and your family are going through.

Just add me to the list of folks keeping you in our thoughts.

Tom Sisk
  • KMyersKMyers Posts: 433
    edited 2015-02-25 13:24
    Hi Criss

You all are in my thoughts and prayers.
  • AleAle Posts: 2,363
    edited 2015-02-25 22:44
    It deeply saddens me to know. You at Parallax are a very nice lot.
    edited 2015-02-26 09:04
    Thanks guys for the well wishes, we really appreciate it!
    Publison wrote: »
    Hey, I found another way to donate and get Parallax gear as a plus! Commander Data is selling two Professional Development Boards WITH a BS2pe chip for $80.00 each. You will have to sign up with the SavageCircuits to buy. You should sign up anyway. It's a great site!

Publison, good point, Data does have two listed. However if someone is interested and doesn't want to sign up they can contact him directly via email. Just PM me for the address. If I post it and he gets spammed I'll never hear the end of it. =)
  • KB3JJGKB3JJG Posts: 95
    edited 2015-02-26 18:21
    Chris,

I have been following you since before you joined parallax, I remember you posting about getting the job, and thinking Parallax scored a great employee. I cannot imagine what you and your family are going through. Stay strong and enjoy every moment you have!

Joe B.
  • Tim-MTim-M Posts: 522
    edited 2015-03-05 15:34
    It's against the forum rules, but this thread is just too important not to be Bumped back to the top!
  • mindrobotsmindrobots Posts: 6,506
    edited 2015-03-05 15:38
    +100

If a moderator needs to scold you, maybe they will wait a week or so when it needs another bump!
    edited 2015-03-05 15:39
    Tim-M wrote: »
    It's against the forum rules, but this thread is just too important not to be Bumped back to the top!

Tim-M Bump away...it's important!