Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Ken/Cluso99/ W9GFO/JasonD's QuadCopter Build Log (updated info ELEV-8 + availability) - Page 17 — Parallax Forums

Ken/Cluso99/ W9GFO/JasonD's QuadCopter Build Log (updated info ELEV-8 + availability)

Comments

• JasonDorieJasonDorie Posts: 1,930
    edited 2011-12-15 14:48
    Stay off the porch! Find a soccer field or some other large, empty body of grass. Much more forgiving than concrete / asphalt / walls. (sorry to contradict you, Ken)
  • schillschill Posts: 741
    edited 2011-12-15 14:54
    Ken Gracey wrote: »
    Today we're kitting up 22 sets of ELEV-8s. I was able to get this shot from the Tech Support guys, as the first kits are built out of our regular production cycle as a more extensive QA/QC process.

Now we will issue kitting jobs to build the ELEV-8 Crash Pack! Sorry guys, if you don't have the guts to crash please stay on the porch. This kind of product takes a pretty solid set of assembly skills and electronic capability (soldering, some Propeller knowledge, some patience, etc.).

Ken Gracey

Now we just need a way to order them. How am I supposed to crash if I have nothing to crash?

http://www.parallax.com/StoreSearchResults/tabid/768/txtSearch/elev-8/List/0/SortField/4/ProductID/799/Default.aspx
  • Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,386
    edited 2011-12-15 15:07
    schill wrote: »
    Now we just need a way to order them. How am I supposed to crash if I have nothing to crash?

http://www.parallax.com/StoreSearchResults/tabid/768/txtSearch/elev-8/List/0/SortField/4/ProductID/799/Default.aspx

schill - got your other e-mail - will reply ASAP. Need to knock off for the rest of the day but should reply tomorrow.

As for this, as soon as they are received into stock you can order.

Very interested in what you all think of this one.

Ken Gracey
  • ratronicratronic Posts: 1,451
    edited 2011-12-15 15:18
    I thought you were not going to have them on the store sight? I also called and spoke to Chantal to see if I could preorder that 80000 part#. She said she would email me back and let me know when I can.
    edited 2011-12-15 15:26
    ratronic wrote: »
    I thought you were not going to have them on the store sight? I also called and spoke to Chantel to see if I could preorder that 80000 part#. She said she would email me back and let me know when I can.

Well, even though they're mostly for you guys as we get started we needed a way to take orders, hence the store.

Chantal => top brass service from Parallax.

Ken Gracey
    edited 2011-12-15 15:32
    I agree, she already emailed me back and put me in the que when they ship next week.
  • Cluso99Cluso99 Posts: 18,069
    edited 2011-12-15 15:44
    That box of goodies looks fantastic Ken. I can see lots of quads running from xmas day onwards - just about the timeframe I am hoping to get some free time for my quad.
  • Roy ElthamRoy Eltham Posts: 2,996
    edited 2011-12-16 01:02
    I finally put together a blog post (simple and short) and video of my ELEV-8 build and first flights.

http://rpef.blogspot.com/2011/12/parallax-elev-8-quadcopter.html

Ken, I have good hires versions of the photos in the beginning of that video. If you want any of them for any reason, just say so and I'll send em your way.
  • Cats92Cats92 Posts: 149
    edited 2011-12-16 03:27
    Roy , thanks for photos and video , it helps to see others experience.

It seems that your quadcopter is sometimes going down a bit quickly.

I have the same problem and asking myself if it is possible to improve a bit the landings for a beginner by using the transmitter setup.

Perhaps With a DX8 it possible to adjust the throttle curve or the expo ?

Hoping that somebody knows ?

Jean Paul
  • W9GFOW9GFO Posts: 4,010
    edited 2011-12-16 09:04
    The ELEV-8 SolidWorks Assembly.zip does not appear to include the part files.
    edited 2011-12-16 09:31
    Cats92 wrote: »
    Roy , thanks for photos and video , it helps to see others experience.

I have the same problem and asking myself if it is possible to improve a bit the landings for a beginner by using the transmitter setup.

Hoping that somebody knows ?

Jean Paul

Hey Jean Paul - the rapid descents are a result of Roy's control. I've noticed that almost all quadcopter newbies tend to descend too quickly. They get concerned about the speed and reduce the throttle, but they actually need to increase it on descent. There's plenty of power to stop quickly.

Ken Gracey
    edited 2011-12-16 10:52
    Ken is right, it is all in my newb pilot skill level. :) I am getting better, and hopefully in the coming week I'll be able to make a new video showing more stable flying.
  • Nick ErnstNick Ernst Posts: 138
    edited 2011-12-16 12:11
    Hey Guys,
    I just wanted to let you all know that the ELEV-8's are on the site and available. Enjoy!

-Nick
    edited 2011-12-16 12:13
    I snook in my order yesterday.
  • BumpBump Posts: 592
    edited 2011-12-16 12:14
    Hi everyone, just letting you know that my mouse clicks will soon toggle a little checkbox to 'on' and when that happens a certain product may become open for orders.
    http://www.parallax.com/Store/Robots/AllRobots/tabid/755/ProductID/799/List/0/Default.aspx

Edit:
    Wait for it... shipping has the weight in at 9999999 lbs once that is cleared up it will go through.
  • Kevin CookKevin Cook Posts: 159
    edited 2011-12-16 12:36
    That's right! ELEV-8 now in stock!!
    Forum users get the first announcement and a chance at the 18 units we developed for the test run of this new platform.
  • schillschill Posts: 741
    edited 2011-12-16 12:39
    I don't get an "Add to Cart" button on that page.
  • JasonDorieJasonDorie Posts: 1,930
    edited 2011-12-16 12:49
    Cats92 wrote: »

This is a very common thing for inexperienced fliers - it happens with R/C helicopters too. Very small adjustments to the throttle make a difference in your lift, and once you don't have enough lift to stay airborne, you accelerate toward the ground. By the time you get there, you can be moving pretty quick. To slow down you have to apply more throttle than it took to hover. It takes some getting used to.

You can adjust the throttle curve, though you may have to put your radio into "helicopter" mode to do it, as planes typically don't use this feature. I've never looked, but I can check my DX7 when I get home tonight - it may support it in plane mode too.

If you DO set your radio in helicopter mode, it'll work fine as long as you specify a standard 90 degree swashplate setup. (Don't use 120 or 140 degree).

There are two things you can do to help your throttle management. The first is to make the throttle less responsive around your hover range, and the second is to make the throttle less responsive over your usable throttle range.

To do the first, set the throttle curve to linear, then fly it and figure out how much throttle you need to hover. Let's say it's 50%. You then make 50% your "mid stick" position, and make your 1/4 stick and 3/4 stick positions produce 40% and 60% throttle respectively. This decreases the response of the throttle around your hover position, making you less likely to over or under-throttle when hovering. However, it also requires that you move the throttle MORE to recover from a rapid descent, so as soon as you're OK hovering you should start moving back toward a linear throttle curve.

In the attached image, the black line is a linear curve, the green line is an adjusted curve with the response dampened around the 50% point. This is roughly how it would look in your radio setup.

For the second option, a decent amount of the throttle range is taken just getting the blades up to a speed where they're useful - You'd never run your motors lower than, say, 35% in normal flight, so assigning 35% of your throttle range to something you never use is a waste. So make the first 10% of your stick correspond to 35% of the throttle output, and use the remaining 90% of the range for the rest. This makes your useable throttle range linear, but more precise. This is what I'm showing in the blue curve.

If this isn't clear from the description I can elaborate on this with images and post it somewhere.
    200 x 200 - 4K
  • BumpBump Posts: 592
    edited 2011-12-16 12:57
    Bump wrote: »
    Hi everyone, just letting you know that my mouse clicks will soon toggle a little checkbox to 'on' and when that happens a certain product may become open for orders.
    http://www.parallax.com/Store/Robots/AllRobots/tabid/755/ProductID/799/List/0/Default.aspx

Edit:
    Wait for it... shipping has the weight in at 9999999 lbs once that is cleared up it will go through.
    schill wrote: »
    I don't get an "Add to Cart" button on that page.

My comment above was related to this issue, we can't ship something (or sell it) until the weight is correct.
    No standard shipping agent will take an order of that magnitude!

The product is now able to be ordered, the correct weight of 3.7 lbs is in.
    edited 2011-12-16 12:57
    JasonDorie wrote: »
    If this isn't clear from the description I can elaborate on this with images and post it somewhere.

I think that is well said.

On my regular helis I have the "throttle" curve much like the green line. I put throttle in quotes because it is really the curve of the collective. The throttle is managed by the governor. I have yet to fly a quad but I expect that changes in altitude will be more sluggish and a little more difficult to be precise. It's hard to compete with the instantaneous thrust changes that come with collective pitch.
    edited 2011-12-16 13:57
    Kevin Cook wrote: »
    That's right! ELEV-8 now in stock!!
    Forum users get the first announcement and a chance at the 18 units we developed for the test run of this new platform.

Any ETA on the crash packs? I want to buy a couple. :D
    edited 2011-12-16 14:12
    Roy Eltham wrote: »
    Any ETA on the crash packs? I want to buy a couple. :D

Pretty soon. We have the parts and supply to build crash packs. How about a couple of days?

Ken Gracey
    edited 2011-12-16 22:09
    GoPro 1080p HD on woot! right now (sold out) for $129.00, perfect for carrying on your new ELEV-8!

Use coupon code TAXSUCKS to save five bucks.
    edited 2011-12-16 22:40
    Just ordered one.

You posted this here, and I posted it on the other thread in robotics before I saw this one!
    edited 2011-12-16 22:45
    Yeah but you save five bucks if you see it here first! ...unless you edit your post.
  • Cats92Cats92 Posts: 149
    edited 2011-12-17 00:12
    Hello,

Ken, Jason , thanks for the explainations.

It seems that first i have to fly a lot to improve.

The DX8 has throttle curves in planes mode.

The blue curve seems a good option , will try it.

Jean Paul
  • LtechLtech Posts: 366
    edited 2011-12-17 03:17
    I use The green curve with DX8 on a gaui quadcopter (gu344), after themporary lost my quad on a roof 250meter away of starting base.....
    It take about 5 sec to bump the quad on the 45° roof, to short to react !
    It was my first flight, and I learned of it, Quad can be verry fast, and dangerous for peoples !
  • WebheadFredWebheadFred Posts: 27
    edited 2011-12-17 14:18
    Greetings All,
    I have been reading the thread with great interest as I'm a Propeller fan and have built my own quad from scraps and HomeDepot. I'm using the HoverFly pro and have never flown any type of RC. As an air traffic controller, I didn't have too much of an issue with orientation as we do that daily looking out the window and on the radar. I agree with the throttle curve if you have one and aileron/elevator/rudder curves as well. It makes it quite a bit easier to land and take off. In fact, I've placed the curve point on my Futaba throttle just below the point of lift off and attached to to a switch. The quad gets to that point and lifts slowly and smoothly. As I bring her to the ground, it's much more smooth than a linear curve. Since its on a switch, I can switch it out if I'm feeling uncomfortable. Nice work gentlemen. Maybe the wife-unit will approve a 'Christmas present'.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMKbprU0e9Q&feature=youtube_gdata_player
    edited 2011-12-19 09:18
    Here's another HD camera for your ELEV-8 in case you missed the woot! deal. Free one day shipping too!

Contour Roam HD for $89 Use coupon code 89ROAM89
    edited 2011-12-19 10:21
    W9GFO wrote: »
    Here's another HD camera for your ELEV-8 in case you missed the woot! deal. Free one day shipping too!

Contour Roam HD for $89 Use coupon code 89ROAM89

The Contour weighs 15.2 ounces and the GoPro weighs 5.9 ounces including the housing. It looks like the Contour could be a better camera from the standpoint of other specifications, but the higher weight is a relevant consideration for quadcopters. What are your thoughts on it overall, Rich?

Ken Gracey