Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
IR sensor testing — Parallax Forums

IR sensor testing

pepijnpepijn Posts: 1
edited 2009-09-12 17:00 in BASIC Stamp
Hi,

I just bought the BOEbot and succeeded in building and programming my first moves. However, when arriving at chapter 7, IR lights, I got lost.
I build the basic circuit with one IR sensor and 1 IR detector and wanted to test it, but the signal form the receiver remains 1.
I checked the circuit over and over and also the code and also changed the sensor and the detector with the other ones, but still no result.

anybody an idea how to check the sensor and receiver (are they both broke?) or knows how to solve this problem?

Please, understand that I'm a beginner withh electronics

best regard, Pepijn
·

Comments

• VaatiVaati Posts: 712
    edited 2009-09-12 16:44
    Welome to the forums!

I would follow these troubleshooting steps:

1. check to make sure you built the circuit correctly. Check for shorted wires, and make sure not to have exposed leads too close.

2. check the IR LED shield. Make sure it is secured properly and that the visible part of the LED is pointing in the same direction as the receiver; that is, so the two are not pointing towards eachother.

3. Check to see if the code is correct.

Other than those steps, I can't think of anything to do...

Hope that helps,

Forest

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Quit buying all those fixed voltage regulators, and·get an Adjustable Power Supply·for your projects!· Includes an LED testing terminal!

*-NEW-* SD Card Adapter·Now available!· Add extra memory to your next Propeller project with ease!
  • cyberbiotacyberbiota Posts: 79
    edited 2009-09-12 17:00
    Pepijn-

you can test to see if the IR diode is coming on by looking at it with any digital camera (a phone cam works great for this). The sensor chip in most digital cameras sees farther into the IR spectrum than human eyes do, thus you can verify that the emitters are working.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

<FONT color=purple>Director, Research and Technology

<FONT color=#800080>Peter.charles@cyberbiota.com

ttp://www.cyberbiota.com</A>