Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Help in project(sensor) — Parallax Forums

Help in project(sensor)

SaharavarunSaharavarun Posts: 3
edited 2009-03-05 10:38 in Accessories
Hi
I am actually doing a project on building a camera platform to take geo-refernced photographs. Basically I need to·integrate a·gps (which gives me a latitude and longitude reading) and an accelorometer (which gives me the angle of tilt in all directions) and a heading compass (which gives me a bearing). And then I need to take all these readings into the PC that will relate my photo and the readings. Now I am stuck on how to start integrating all three modules and where do I start?
Thanks

Comments

• Jessica UelmenJessica Uelmen Posts: 490
    edited 2009-02-24 16:56
    Hi,

Your duplicate post in the Stamps in Class forum has been removed.

Thank you!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jessica Uelmen
    Education Department
    Parallax, Inc.
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2009-02-24 18:00
    Make sure you understand how to handle each of these sensors individually. There's sample code available on the product webstore page for each of the sensors sold by Parallax. If you're using some other manufacturer's sensor, you'll have to contact the manufacturer for their documentation and any sample code.

Make sure you can get the readings you expect and that you can get them in the form you need.

The sample programs should all have the I/O pin numbers provided via constants so you can change them easily. Obviously, you'll have to use different I/O pins for different sensors. You should be able to make minor changes in each sample program to make it possible to combine them as subroutines in one larger program. Your new main program would call each subroutine to get a set of values, combine them in whatever fashion you need, and send the data to your PC using a SEROUT statement
  • SaharavarunSaharavarun Posts: 3
    edited 2009-02-25 10:48
    Hi
    Thanks for the reply. Actually I also wanted some suggestion on whether to use basic stamp 1 or 2 here? And also how to program it such that it gives you the readings from different sensors only when the camera is clicking?
    Thank you very much
  • Jessica UelmenJessica Uelmen Posts: 490
    edited 2009-02-26 00:09
    Hello Saharavarun,

For your project, the BASIC Stamp 2 will best suit your needs. It has a faster processing time, lager memory, and most of our sample code corresponds to this microcontroller. So if you're trying to figure out how to integrate each sensor, it will be easiest with the BASIC Stamp 2.

To address your coding request, we recently had someone post an application for integrating a camera with the BASIC Stamp 2:

http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=788013

You can consider doing something like this, where when you push a button, the camera turns on, waits awhile for the sensors to start taking data, and then snaps pictures. In any case, you will have to crack open a camera to get to the parts you need.· If you don't feel comfortable doing this, you can also simply turn the board on and start taking data when you're ready to start taking pictures. Using GPS you can also timestamp all of your data, so when you retrieve it, you know what GPS data corresponds to what picture.

Hope this helps!

Jessica

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jessica Uelmen
    Education Department
    Parallax, Inc.

Post Edited (Jessica Uelmen (Parallax)) : 2/26/2009 12:15:10 AM GMT
  • SaharavarunSaharavarun Posts: 3
    edited 2009-03-05 10:38
    Hi,
    Please can you also tell me what is the difference between 8 I/O pins to 16 I/O pins and if I am having cost issues , would basic stamp 1 could be·used for my project?·