+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hydra Asset Manager released!

Default Hydra Asset Manager released!

Hey everyone,

The Hydra Asset Manager is ready for it's first release. I've attached a .zip file to this post.

H.A.M. requires .NET Framework 2.0. If you don't have it, here's a link:
    Download .NET Framework 2.0

The Hydra Asset Manager Documentation said...

The Hydra Asset Manager was created to help game authors' organize and update the assets for their games. One of the benefits of the Hydra is it's EEPROM cartridges and their ability to hold more than just the 32k executable image. However, this immediately begs the question, how do the programmers get their game assets onto the EEPROM? Like they say, "Necessity is the mother of invention."

With the Hydra Asset Manager (H.A.M.), you can simply drag and drop files into the application, arrange them in memory and upload to the Hydra. Also, you can also download the entire EEPROM image from the Hydra and save it to your PC for later re-use.
    Hopefully this will help the developers do more experimentation with that extra 96KB :)

Please check it out and I'm open to any comments/suggestions. Do keep in mind that it's a first release and this is the bare minimum in functionality. It's going to get more polished and more features are already being added.

My email address is in my profile and in the Help | About box in the Hydra Asset Manager.

(Update)

Version 1.0.9 is available here:
    http://forums.parallax.com/attachmen...4&d=1330294165

Thanks,
    Richard Benson

Post Edited (Keebler) : 5/26/2008 8:01:48 PM GMT
    Last edited by Keebler; 02-26-2012 at 09:16 PM. Reason: adding attachment to fix stale link

Blog Entries

Richard,
    My computer is asking me to install .Net framework v2.0.50727 when I try to run the program.
    Can you tell me where I can get it ?

Thanks,

Bean.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Cheap used 4-digit LED display with driver ICwww.hc4led.com

Low power SD Data Logger www.sddatalogger.com
    SX-Video Display Modules www.sxvm.com
    Stuff I'm selling on ebay http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZhittconsultingQQhtZ-1

"USA Today has come out with a new survey - apparently, three out of every four people make up 75% of the population." - David Letterman
    Last edited by ForumTools; 09-30-2010 at 02:52 AM. Reason: Forum Migration

Ah, good point. I didn't have to since I had .NET 2005 installed.

Try this:
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en

Apologies,
    Rich

Bean, did you install .net and get it to work? .net is so big, not something you want to include in the install :)

Andre'

Bean? :)

Rich

Blog Entries

Yep, I installed the .NET from the link you gave, and then it worked fine (well it came up, I didn't actually try to download anything into the Hydra yet.).

Bean.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Cheap used 4-digit LED display with driver ICwww.hc4led.com

Low power SD Data Logger www.sddatalogger.com
    SX-Video Display Modules www.sxvm.com
    Stuff I'm selling on ebay http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZhittconsultingQQhtZ-1

"USA Today has come out with a new survey - apparently, three out of every four people make up 75% of the population." - David Letterman

Awesome, thanks.

I'll go ahead and put the link in the documentation.

Rich

I got it working too.

Brian

PS. My daughter loves the piano demo.

Post Edited (Brian Beckius) : 2/2/2007 7:04:17 PM GMT

Another fun thing to do is take a hex editor, edit the binaries, change the text and stuff, and then re-upload them with your personalizations :)

And of course, the tools is good for data logging since if you write some code for your hydra or demo board that writes to the eeprom, there is no way to get it off the eeprom with the spin tool, but with this program and client you can pull data off the eeprom (any size eeprom) as well and download back to the pc.

Andre'

Hmmmm, data logging you say :- )

Brian

AndreL said...
    Another fun thing to do is take a hex editor, edit the binaries, change the text and stuff, and then re-upload them with your personalizations :)

And of course, the tools is good for data logging since if you write some code for your hydra or demo board that writes to the eeprom, there is no way to get it off the eeprom with the spin tool, but with this program and client you can pull data off the eeprom (any size eeprom) as well and download back to the pc.

Andre'
    Yes, one of the features of the Hydra Asset Manager is the ability to "download" the eeprom to the PC. This is especially helpful when you get your game and assets laid out and want to save off the snapshot in it's entirety.

Rich

Rich,
    I tried to download from hydra (I set the com port).I get a "Send:address-timedout" error.

Brian

Brian Beckius said...
    Rich,
    I tried to download from hydra (I set the com port).I get a "Send:address-timedout" error.

Brian
    Hmm.. You should only get that error if something is really wrong. Basically, it means the PC hasn't heard from the Hydra in a full second.
    Did the Hydra say, "Sending EEPROM Contents to PC" ?

Can you tell me exactly how you tried to do it? Did you have HAM 1.04 running on the Hydra with it saying "Waiting" ?
    When did you get the timeout error? What percentage was the status bar showing in the lower right corner of the PC app?

Also, which EEPROM chip are you trying to download from? We're currently working on a problem with the microchip 24LC1025 chip.

Thanks Brian,
    Rich

Rich,
    I reloaded the hydra and now I can get it to download . I see that it saves it as a eeprom file ,but how do I veiw it.

Thanks,Brian

Ps. is saving like this 14585732985239757.eeprom.spin

Post Edited (Brian Beckius) : 2/5/2007 1:13:45 PM GMT

It's just a binary file. You can view it in any binary editor. You can also view it as well as reupload it with the Propellor tool.
    You can also drag it into H.A.M. and reupload images in their entirety. Admittedly, it's a little tricky to fit an asset that is exactly the size of the EEPROM. I'll fix that soon, but in the meantime, just drag the asset in above the top of memory and the code will clamp it to address 0 and it will fit :)

As far as the name, I'm not sure where you get the .spin on the end from?

It always saves it as Download_%%Date%%_%%Time%%.eeprom. This way, it should always be unique.
    For example, one of mine is Download_01272007_154844.eeprom (01/27/2007 - 15:48:44). You're free to rename them after they're downloaded of course...

Hope that helps,
    Rich

Rich,
    What binary editor would you recomend , also for some reason my computer is attaching .spin in the end of the file.

Thank's Brian

Brian Beckius said...
    Rich,
    What binary editor would you recomend , also for some reason my computer is attaching .spin in the end of the file.

Thank's Brian
    Your computer can't change my code :) However, you probably allowed the Propellor Tool to associate .eeprom files with the tool, so maybe it's showing it as a Spin file in Windows Explorer? This won't be a problem if you uncheck "Hide extensions for known file types" in Windows Explorer, Tools, Folder Options, View (Tab)... Then it should definitely show up as a .eeprom.

Anyways, I haven't had a need for a binary editor anytime recently, but when I did, I simply used .NET since it worked fine.
    Doing a Google search for Binary Editor pulls up a ton of applications, but I'm sure if someone reading this thread has one they like a lot, they'll chime in with a link.

On a side note, I've been working on integrating the ability to Hex Edit the assets from within the Hydra Asset Manager...

Rich

Rich,
    Now that I have a hex editor on my computer I don't get the .spin added. Works AWSOME !

Thanks, Brian

PS. I have a feeling that the hex editor is going to do nothing but get me introuble

Post Edited (Brian Beckius) : 2/6/2007 10:12:54 PM GMT
    Attached Files Attached Files

Anyone succeed with the prop protoboard? I get Send:address-timedout" error, You say it needs to be connected on startup, but my usb serial is com 18 ( I work in a serial industry), you app defaults to com4 (my IR) is this the problem? is there a command line arg for ports? I select com 18 and see the flashing, used propeller to download the driver and demo, modified to 64k for the demo board....

bassmaster said...
    Anyone succeed with the prop protoboard? I get Send:address-timedout" error, You say it needs to be connected on startup, but my usb serial is com 18 ( I work in a serial industry), you app defaults to com4 (my IR) is this the problem? is there a command line arg for ports? I select com 18 and see the flashing, used propeller to download the driver and demo, modified to 64k for the demo board....
    It iterates the available ports at startup and adds them all to the combo box. If you can't select the correct COM port, that's a huge problem.

I'm confused though, you said, "I select com 18 and see the flashing". So I'm not sure if you can select COM18 or not.

What percent is the progress bar when it times out?

Thanks,
    Rich

+ Reply to Thread