+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Arlo Switch Plate

Default New Arlo Switch Plate

Hey all Arlo fans...

We're thinking about enhancing the Arlo Power Distribution Switch Plate..
    It has a cutout across the top allowing replacement of all fuses, without the plate needing to be removed.

Plus, It's made from .093 Delrin so it's much more rugged than the acrylic version.

This is a prototype...what do you think?

-MattG
    Attached Images Attached Images
    - Matt Gilliland -
    - mattg@parallax.com
    - (916) 624-8333 x3018
    Ask me about the Lifetime Warranty on the Propeller BOE

Default Re: New Arlo Switch Plate

I think you should put it in production pronto!

Ken Gracey

Ken Gracey | Parallax Inc.| Direct
    : (916) 625-3010 | www.parallax.com

Follow me on Twitter

'Tis a beauty to behold!

All it needs is a knock-out for an optional keyswitch.

Blog Entries

Is it an optical illusion or is the 1 amp fuse blocked still?
    Andrew Williams
    WBA Consulting

The 1 amp fuse is very-removable...it's just the angle of the camera. It is easier on the big 1 ampere fuse to just "rock it out from under the plate"- meaning tilting it toward the clear space- it's easy. The smaller fuses are easiest to remove by using a small needle-nose pliers and pulling them straight up.

Since we introduced the Arlo Power Distribution Board, I've heard of at least a couple of breaks of the original blue acrylic version. Delrin is a far superior material for this application, but it's only available in black (that's what we stock here for production material).

Fellow Parallaxian Stephanie suggested adding the l and 0 indicators, The Arlo "Bot" moniker has been dropped, in favor of simply "Arlo", per our Marketing Guru Jen.

The etched i and 0 and the "Motors" and the "Main" are difficult to read when etched. We suggest putting a little dab of liquid paper or "white-out" over the etchings and then simply wiping away the non-recessed excess - really easy and quick - and makes the words "pop".

And instead of raster-etching the "Arlo" logo, we've cut it all the way through (lt's difficult to see in this photo- will try to do better pic soon). So now when you look at the cut-through logo, you see the white silk-screened Parallax branding on the APDB "peaking" from below...a happy accident.

We've always liked "early adopters" because you're willing to be a test-pilot so-to-speak. But it's a bummer when you ADOPT EARLY and then IT'S IMPROVED. Parallax's got your back...if you already own one of the APDB's kits - PM me with your mailing address and we'll mail you out a new Delrin plate once they're in stock (shhhhh! Don't tell the boss!.

-Matt-delrin is a oool material-G
    - Matt Gilliland -
    - mattg@parallax.com
    - (916) 624-8333 x3018

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Gilliland View Post
    Delrin is a far superior material for this application, but it's only available in black (that's what we stock here for production material).
    I have some white Delrin - so I'm pretty sure that black is not your only option.

Looks great! Really good improvement too! Thanks for all you guys do!

@Ken - what is that behind you? @Matt - PM'd you!
    Whit+

"I love to work on problems that are hard, because I love to learn." - Sebastian Thrun

Quote Originally Posted by W9GFO View Post
    I have some white Delrin - so I'm pretty sure that black is not your only option.
    +1, white is also available. Delrin is very strong, machines great, holds a thread, self lubricating, but it gives off very noxious formaldehyde fumes when it burns (and it burns with a nearly invisible flame), said the pyromaniac. http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb...delrin-173503/
    "Give a man an inch, and right away he thinks he's a ruler." Maxwell Smart

McMaster-Carr has white delrin (acetal resin).

I know there's white delrin available .

It sounds like there's a consensus about "white" - what that means for us however, is that we have to figure out our cost for the (relatively low) volume of white that we would use for this product. We use a TON of black on the Elevate and Robot Wrenches and Encoder disks, and and and. This gives us great buying power because of the quantities that we buy.

If the cost of white (in small quantities) is close to the cost of black (in very large quantities), then maybe it's doable - especially if it looks really good. (Although this results in more internal costs to us -stocking, purchasing, tracking, etc. as well). End result may well be that we might see an uptick in retail price because of these factors. Is it worth a premium price to be white? I don't know - you tell me

I'll get some sample pieces on order and we'll see how it looks...then the only challenge will be to find some "black-out correction fluid" to make the etched labeling show up

-MattG
    - Matt Gilliland -
    - mattg@parallax.com
    - (916) 624-8333 x3018

Since we introduced the Arlo Power Distribution Board, I've heard of at least a couple of breaks of the original blue acrylic version.
    There is a big difference in durability between cast and extruded acrylic. Extruded is garbage in my opinion, suitable only for picture frames. If you were using extruded acrylic consider trying some cast, if you were already using cast then maybe just increase the thickness.

In my opinion, cast acrylic should be more than strong enough for this application. Cast is prettier, easier to engrave (no color fill needed) and makes less toxic fumes while processing - less expensive too, unless you are getting a killer deal on your Delrin.

Quote Originally Posted by W9GFO View Post
    There is a big difference in durability between cast and extruded acrylic.
    To test whether it is cast or acrylic light a small piece on fire. If it sizzles and crackles it is cast, if it melts and drips fireballs to the floor it is extruded.

Blog Entries

I know there's white delrin available .
    Of course you do, you read the other posts...... ;-) nyuk, nyuk....

Here's a snap of a "PCB" I did last week out of 1/16" thick White Delrin. I etched the silkscreen and component pads on the laser, cut out the TH locations and PCB outline, then filled in with a sharpie. I used a very large blunt sharpie to fill everything in, wait about 30 seconds, then take a piece of scrap delrin (in the shape of a putty knife) wrapped in a cotton cloth and rub across the top to remove the excess marker from the surface. This was made as the PCB to check fit in a 3D printed case to verify form/fit/function as well as do some preliminary assembly time studies.

As for the color, I think the black looks nice, as long as you have good ink fill. LaserBits sells color fill ink in 12 different colors but the problem is getting the ink to stick to the Delrin. It takes a pretty sophisticated paint to stick to Delrin long term. I recently did a plaque for the playground at my church out of Delrin and ended up using a Pilot Gold Paint Pen. Nothing else wanted to stick even to the etched surface.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Andrew Williams
    WBA Consulting

Won't a white switch plate look cheesy alongside a black HDPE Arlo? The fact that polyacetal comes also in white is hardly the issue. Batman doesn't wear orange boots for a reason. Dude's gotta stay cool.

Will vinyl decals (e.g. Oracal 651) stick to Delrin? Phil, anyone?

Blog Entries

Yes, they do. And, if you raster the surface ever so slightly to kill the naturally super slick delrin surface, they get better adhesion for longevity. Laserfoils can also be used so you can do the cutting and lettering in the same shot.
    Andrew Williams
    WBA Consulting

Quote Originally Posted by GordonMcComb View Post
    Won't a white switch plate look cheesy alongside a black HDPE Arlo? The fact that polyacetal comes also in white is hardly the issue. Batman doesn't wear orange boots for a reason. Dude's gotta stay cool.
    I am with Gordon on this one! Black is the way to go... Plus Matt's "white-out" trick wouldn't work nearly as well! ;-) Do they make "black-out?"
    Whit+

"I love to work on problems that are hard, because I love to learn." - Sebastian Thrun

What about plywood?

Quote Originally Posted by jdolecki View Post
    What about plywood?
    Yea! I am surprised that erco didn't suggest that one!
    Whit+

Quote Originally Posted by WBA Consulting View Post
    Yes, they [vinyl decals]do [stick].
    Then I offer to Parallax FREE vinyl decals for the power switch positions. White Oracal 651 -- the same stuff they use for car window stickers. A couple of dozen wouldn't take long to cut out and prep. These things are very easy to apply. As long as they'll stick to the Delrin, I think they'll look much better than the wipe-on/wipe-off paint.

Gordon - sounds neat! Can't wait to see...
    Whit+

+ Reply to Thread