+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: DEFCON 22 Badge: Code, Schematics and Information Here!

Default DEFCON 22 Badge: Code, Schematics and Information Here!

Click image for larger version

Name:	DC22Badge1.jpg
Views:	14724
Size:	97.3 KB
ID:	110164
    Parallax P8X32A Multicore Microcontroller and DEFCON 22 Badge
    DEFCON 22 Attendees: files you might need for the badge contest are right here!

Youíve arrived at Parallax's DEFCON 22 badge resource page. If youíre in Las Vegas and participating in the DEFCON 22 badge contest to win one of the coveted Uber badges, this page offers a starting point for resources and source code. You'll learn a bit about the contest at the DEFCON 22 Opening Ceremonies on Friday at 10:00 am.

If this is your first time to Parallax forums we welcome you! Feel free to use this forum for anything you need - our local Propeller experts will be happy to answer any questions!

The DEFCON 22 Badge was designed and manufactured for the largest continuously running hacker and computer security convention in the world www.defcon.org. This year's DEFCON is a four-day technical session held at the Rio Hotel in Las Vegas, founded and run by Jeff Moss (DarkTangent). Ryan Clarke (@LostboY), JonnyMac (@J0nnyM@c), and Parallax designed this yearís badge as a core part of the hacking contest. Jon Williams authored the badge firmware and you will be familiar with his coding style if you've seen it before. Parallax was invited to do this project on June 1st, providing only 60 days from concept through production yet our team pulled it together and manufactured almost 14,000 units in our Rocklin, California facility in July!

DEFCON 22 Badge Overview

The badge is based around the Propeller P8X32A 32-bit Multicore Microcontroller. The circuit consists of a Propeller (microcontroller, EEPROM, clock), an infrared LED and receiver for badge-to-badge communication, a bank of eight LEDs for visual feedback, four button touch pads and a USB circuit for data access and programming. Most importantly, this badge is useful well beyond DEFCON because it's a complete Propeller development board. All I/Os, Vss, Gnd connections are clearly ported to the side of the badge so you can solder directly to the I/O pins or jump them off to a breadboard. Stop by DEFCONís Hardware Hacking Village to work with others on badge hacking. Youíll need a micro USB cable which you can source from one of the hardware vendors if you need to reprogram. I suggest asking Garrett Gee at Godai Group - I asked him to bring 300+ micro USB cables.

The contest code is available as a zip archive, below. The contest code initially excludes the infrared communication method required for the contest, yet the infrared objects are included. Therefore, you're only missing a small portion of the firmware. When the contest is over, you get every piece of code including the methods that communicate with the infrared objects.

The badge types were produced in eight color schemes for different types of attendees: ARTIST, CONTEST, GOON, HUMAN, PRESS, VENDOR, UBER, and SPEAKER. The HUMAN badge was produced in eight different variants for 13 unique badge styles.

At the DEFCON 22 opening ceremony attendees will receive key information about how the badge is used to solve the challenge. We really donít know much about the Badge Challenge, but itís really clear that people need to mingle to unlock some cryptology clues. Take a walk around, connect your badge to Parallax Serial Terminal to see whoíve you encountered. Everybody has access to the Propeller objects used in the top-level firmware. They're available for download below.

Propeller P8X32A Verilog Hardware Design Files Released!

Timed with DEFCON 22, Parallax has also announced that the entire Propeller Multicore Microcontroller hardware design is now released open source under the GNU General Public License v3.0. You can now access the Propeller 1 Verilog files and run them on an $89 DE0-Nano FPGA board, changing the code as you wish.

Helpful Resources and Downloads

DEFCON 22 Badge Resources (Creative Commons 3.0), at the bottom of this post:
    • Badge Schematic Page 1 (PDF)
    • Badge Schematic Page 2 (PDF)
    • Badge Schematic (DipTrace)
    • DipTrace Layout (DipTrace)
    • dc22_badge_human - Archive [Date 2014.07.12 Time 14.32].zip - for contest, as provided on DEFCON 22 CD - absent the methods used to talk to to the infrared objects
    • DCBadgeMaster.zip - full badge source code now posted, in entirety, Sunday evening at 9:41 pm Pacific Time
    • DEFCON-22-Badge-C-Code.zip - thanks to David Betz we now have the Spin/ASM code ported to C for running in SimpleIDE. Added on October 2, 2014 and available for download below.
    Propeller Multicore Microcontroller Resources (GPL v3.0):Feel free to ask for more information! You can ask here or find a Parallax person at DEFCON, usually in the Hardware Hacking Village. We're packing our bags this evening yet four of us are already there.

Ken Gracey
    Parallax Inc.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Ken Gracey; 10-02-2014 at 05:06 PM.

Ken Gracey | Parallax Inc.| Direct
    : (916) 625-3010 | www.parallax.com

Follow me on Twitter

Default Re: DEFCON 22 Badge: Code, Schematics and Information Here!

Name:	DC22Badge9.jpg
Views:	13596
Size:	173.1 KB
ID:	110176

Name:	DC22Badge2.jpg
Views:	13541
Size:	188.7 KB
ID:	110175

Name:	DC22Badge7.jpg
Views:	13470
Size:	83.8 KB
ID:	110171

Name:	DC22Badge1.jpg
Views:	13490
Size:	97.3 KB
ID:	110165

Name:	DC22Badge5.jpg
Views:	13460
Size:	102.8 KB
ID:	110169

Name:	DC22Badge10.jpg
Views:	13330
Size:	88.3 KB
ID:	110174

Name:	DC22Badge4.jpg
Views:	13368
Size:	150.9 KB
ID:	110168

Name:	DC22Badge8.jpg
Views:	13285
Size:	87.1 KB
ID:	110172

Name:	DC22Badge3.jpg
Views:	13230
Size:	89.2 KB
ID:	110167

Name:	DC22Badge6.jpg
Views:	33782
Size:	95.4 KB
ID:	110170
    Last edited by Ken Gracey; 08-07-2014 at 02:16 PM.

Follow me on Twitter

A video of DEFCON 22 badge manufacturing:

Follow me on Twitter

Been a little busy, eh?

BTW, the videos you have been pushing out lately have been stellar! Are you doing them in-house?

Jim
    Infernal Machine

Very nice! I guess I need to attend this 'CON next year so I can get one of these cool badges!

Quote Originally Posted by Publison View Post
    BTW, the videos you have been pushing out lately have been stellar! Are you doing them in-house?
    Robert, a relatively new (and very talented) employee, takes care of all of our photography and video needs. We love his work too!

A short video showing how the Uber badge controls the other ones. - Ken

Follow me on Twitter

Apart from shelling out thousands of euros to get to the States, attend DEFCON, and get a badge like that, how do I get one?

I might be dumping firmware images as we speak. I'm collecting the set

:-)

Quote Originally Posted by __red__ View Post
    I might be dumping firmware images as we speak. I'm collecting the set

:-)
    I'm guessin' your in Vegas now. Best of luck with the badges.They should be a hit like last year.
    Infernal Machine

Quote Originally Posted by Heater. View Post
    Apart from shelling out thousands of euros to get to the States, attend DEFCON, and get a badge like that, how do I get one?

Ebay after the show, or wait for the DEFCON store to materialize???

Quote Originally Posted by Heater. View Post
    Yeah, it would be nice to have one of these and also one of JonnyMac's LED shields.

Got mine talking. Very nice. Only trouble is that I haven't found a serial monitor in the Parallax IDE for my Mac so I am using BST still.

They are using the same pins for the LEDs as two years ago; my code from then works with the new badge!

Super neat Ken! They are amazing as always...
    Whit+

"I love to work on problems that are hard, because I love to learn." - Sebastian Thrun

Fizzymagic, let's get together here at the con, I would love to see what you have going on. You going to be at the hardware hacking village?

Can someone else please sanity-check me on the diptrace files. They seem to be, erm... "odd" ?

@fizzymagic, @icemuppet, and others

Try one of these PropellerIDE packages while you have internet access.

http://forums.parallax.com/showthrea...=1#post1283880

Will it clash with a currently installed SimpleIDE on MacOSX?

Quote Originally Posted by __red__ View Post
    Will it clash with a currently installed SimpleIDE on MacOSX?
    It shouldn't.

Quote Originally Posted by icemupppet View Post
    Fizzymagic, let's get together here at the con, I would love to see what you have going on. You going to be at the hardware hacking village?
    I'm also here, though i'm not really much of a hardware hacker, i got it up and running on my mac. Not sure how to dump the list of the folks i've encountered via IR. I suppose that's the part of the source which has not been included.

btw - i am using PropellerIDE. The serial console displays fine in debug mode when running a .spin file. But i'm not sure how to use it as a console for the embedded firmware.

+ Reply to Thread