+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Run ActivityBot C Code in the Arlo!

Default Run ActivityBot C Code in the Arlo!

Hello everybody,

Ken announced on Parallax insider News that the Andy’s “Arlodrive” is ready for use! Does anyone tried to run any code from ActivityBot into an Arlo robot or any other large robot with Arlo’s motor and wheel kit?
    Where we can found the “arlodrive.h”? What exactly steps we must follow in order to use this new ability?
    Any diagram in order to connect the encoders with the HB-25 end the Propeller Activity Board?
    I hope that Andy has given parameters in his code on characteristics like: wheel diameter, turning radius and speed in order to give the opportunity to users with other large robots (not necessary Arlo robots) to take the benefits of his code!

Nikos

Default Re: Run ActivityBot C Code in the Arlo!

Been looking forward to the insider post. Does not look like the actual code was posted yet, or at least I cannot find it. Ken posted a sneak peak of the code a few weeks back, but I could not get it to work. I suspected it was missing a ArloCalibrate file and the insider post suggest this was the issue but the zip file Ken posted didn't include the ArloCalibrate.

Quote Originally Posted by fataldave View Post
    Been looking forward to the insider post. Does not look like the actual code was posted yet, or at least I cannot find it. Ken posted a sneak peak of the code a few weeks back, but I could not get it to work. I suspected it was missing a ArloCalibrate file and the insider post suggest this was the issue but the zip file Ken posted didn't include the ArloCalibrate.
    Apologies for it not being uploaded to that web page - it's attached to this post.

Ken Gracey
    Attached Files Attached Files

Ken Gracey | Parallax Inc.| Direct
    : (916) 625-3010 | www.parallax.com

Follow me on Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Gracey View Post
    Apologies for it not being uploaded to that web page - it's attached to this post.

Ken Gracey
    No problem, Thought it might have been posted on the Learn site but could not find any Libs with a recent change date. Looking forward to giving this a try when I get back. Already downloaded and got it loaded in SimpleIDE.

Thanks for the update!

Dave

Had time today to get the code loaded and try it out. Looks like the missing ArloCalibrate was my original issue. Did some testing with it, noticed that the example had the following code to make it go forward:

Code:
    drive_rampStep(100, 100);                 // Forward
    but that just made it go in a circle. I actually had to change it to

Code:
    drive_rampStep(-100, 100);                 // Forward
    to make it go forward. I suppose this is because one of the encoders has to be installed in reverse from the other. Going to have to look up some of the ActivityBot examples now.

Thanks Ken!

I think what you are seeing is the +/- terminals on one of the motors being reverse of what it is in the prototype. I'd recommend swapping the +/- terminals on the motor that goes backwards when it's expected to go forward. Then, your code will be able to match what's in the .zip.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Lindsay (Parallax) View Post
    I think what you are seeing is the +/- terminals on one of the motors being reverse of what it is in the prototype. I'd recommend swapping the +/- terminals on the motor that goes backwards when it's expected to go forward. Then, your code will be able to match what's in the .zip.
    I have both Blue wires going to M2 on each HB25 and each Red wire going to M1. So each is wired the same unless they are wired wrong inside the motor. I can reverse one so that Red=M1/Blue=M2 and Red=M2/Blue=M1 and check that.

Yeah, I'm not sure who's got the Arlo right now, but they'll likely reply with more info when they see my APB. While writing the test code, I asked the guy who put it together to make some motor wire changes so that the code (as written) would make the Arlo go straight forward with drive_speed(128, 128). I do not remember the details, but I set it up so that the power switches were at the "tail" of the Arlo. BTW, if you swap motor leads, re-run the calibration code.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Lindsay (Parallax) View Post
    Yeah, I'm not sure who's got the Arlo right now, but they'll likely reply with more info when they see my APB. While writing the test code, I asked the guy who put it together to make some motor wire changes so that the code (as written) would make the Arlo go straight forward with drive_speed(128, 128). I do not remember the details, but I set it up so that the power switches were at the "tail" of the Arlo. BTW, if you swap motor leads, re-run the calibration code.
    Alright reversed the polarity on one of the motors then re-ran the calibration and now all is well, a +/+ drives forward and -/- reverse.

Edit:

For others, the way I have it setup now is:

Left Motor
    Red=M1
    Blue=M2

Right Motor
    Red=M2
    Blue=M1

(Left and Right are figured while looking at Alro with the Parallax logo on the base of Arlo pointing at you)
    Last edited by fataldave; 12-31-2013 at 02:24 PM.

Motor 1
    Red=M1
    Blue=M2

Motor 2
    Red=M2
    Blue=M1
    I think is useful to make clear which one is the Motor Left and which one is the Motor Right.
    Instead of Motor 1 and Motor 2 use Motor Left and Motor Right. For instance when you said Motor 1 you mean the Left or the Right motor?

Quote Originally Posted by NikosG View Post
    I think is useful to make clear which one is the Motor Left and which one is the Motor Right.
    Instead of Motor 1 and Motor 2 use Motor Left and Motor Right. For instance when you said Motor 1 you mean the Left or the Right motor?
    I edited the post to be clear on that.

Hi fataldave - Forgive me for stepping in late on this...dis-regard the following if it's redundant :-)

Don't reverse the + and - power on the HB-25's. Only reverse the outputs (that are connected to the motors).

That's the bi-directional output to the motors (I know you know this, but it's for others that may come across this thread that might not).

...and for the record, every Arlo I've ever built gets *stolen* by somebody in this building - I don't have one that's functional right now...I'll fix that on Friday
    so that I've got test-case machine too!
    For others, the way I have it setup now is:

Left Motor
    Red=M1
    Blue=M2

Right Motor
    Red=M2
    Blue=M1

(Left and Right are figured while looking at Alro with the Parallax logo on the base of Arlo pointing at you)
    -Perfect.

-MattG
    - Matt Gilliland -
    - mattg@parallax.com
    - (916) 624-8333 x3018
    Ask me about the Lifetime Warranty on the Propeller BOE

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Gilliland View Post
    Don't reverse the + and - power on the HB-25's. Only reverse the outputs (that are connected to the motors).
    Yep, Just reversed the M1/M2 terminals as noted. To also avoid confusion, the Red/Blue are wires from the Parallax Wheel Kit. Problem was resolved after doing this, just wanted to document it for others.

...and for the record, every Arlo I've ever built gets *stolen* by somebody in this building - I don't have one that's functional right now...I'll fix that on Friday
    I can see that being a problem, At least they are fun to build!

Hi fataldave - Forgive me for stepping in late on this...dis-regard the following if it's redundant :-)

That's the bi-directional output to the motors (I know you know this, but it's for others that may come across this thread that might not).

-Perfect.

-MattG
    Hi Matt,

I' m trying to build an Arlo Robot with the motors from the MadeUSA Robot Base Kit.
    I replaced the old encoders with the NEW 36-position Quadrature Encoder Set
    The old motors wires was yellow and Blue, The NEW Arlo motors have blue and Red wires.
    Can you tell me please in wich cable correspondence the blue and the Red ?

Hi Matt,

I' m trying to build an Arlo Robot with the motors from the MadeUSA Robot Base Kit.
    I replaced the old encoders with the NEW 36-position Quadrature Encoder Set
    The old motors wires was yellow and Blue, The NEW Arlo motors have blue and Red wires.
    Can you tell me please in wich cable correspondence the blue and the Red ?
    If you want to figure this out before Matt responds, you can wire them up assuming Yellow=Red. If you are wrong when you send a +/+ command to go forward and it goes in reverse you just have to reverse each side and you are good. As Matt said, just do not reverse the input power (From the battery) on the HB25's.

If you want to figure this out before Matt responds, you can wire them up assuming Yellow=Red. If you are wrong when you send a +/+ command to go forward and it goes in reverse you just have to reverse each side and you are good. As Matt said, just do not reverse the input power (From the battery) on the HB25's.
    What mode of operation do you use for the HB-25s Connections ?
    Mode -1 or Mode-2 ?

I suppose that we must use the mode-1 because the Propeller Activity Board uses two pins in order to control the servos.

Have I right?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	mode_1_2_HB25.jpg‎
Views:	251
Size:	72.2 KB
ID:	105868  

What mode of operation do you use for the HB-25s Connections ?
    Mode -1 or Mode-2 ?

I suppose that we must use the mode-1 because the Propeller Activity Board uses two pins in order to control the servos.

Have I right?
    Yeah you have to use Mode 1 with this code. Just figure each HB25 is a 'Servo' in the example above.

Each encoder has two sockets. Which goes to the HB-25 and which to the propeller activity Board?

Name:	arlo_wiring_encoder.jpg‎
Views:	248
Size:	69.3 KB
ID:	105895  

Each encoder has two sockets. Which goes to the HB-25 and which to the propeller activity Board?
    None go to the HB25, I ran the A line to the Activity Board and left the B line unplugged for now. The code as it is now does not support the quad encoders yet, I hear its coming some day but for now I just used the one side.

Dave

So,
    according what you said, you and Matt (post #12) ,
    the Arlo wiring diagram in order to run the Andy's Arlodrive must be the next?

Name:	arlo_wiring2.jpg‎
Views:	241
Size:	144.0 KB
ID:	105903  

+ Reply to Thread