+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Propeller Board of Educations being assembled on the Pick-n-Place

Default Propeller Board of Educations being assembled on the Pick-n-Place

Caught the first part of a 500-unit Propeller BOE production run this afternoon. Didn't get to photograph all of the steps, but here's a snapshot. The crew is working two shifts to get these boards finished.

1. Boards are panelized 6-up. First step is on the screenprinter where solder paste is applied to the pads.

2. Next stop is the Pick-and-Place. Note that feeders are loaded on both sides of the machine - lots of parts on this board.

Name:  PBOE-2.jpg
Views: 580
Size:  133.5 KB

3. Visual inspection before the reflow oven.

Name:  PBOE-3.jpg
Views: 601
Size:  134.8 KB

4. Boards eject from reflow oven.

Name:  PBOE-4.jpg
Views: 595
Size:  239.1 KB

5. Stuffed with through-hole parts and loaded into the selective solder. Special fixtures hold the panels to keep them flat.

Name:  PBOE-5.jpg
Views: 565
Size:  89.7 KB

5. Sent through pizza cutter to separate into singles.

6. Breadboard attached.

7. Test, packaging, shipping.

Name:  PBOE-1.jpg
Views: 565
Size:  111.7 KB

Ken Gracey | Parallax Inc.| Direct
    : (916) 625-3010 | www.parallax.com

Follow me on Twitter

Default Re: Propeller Board of Educations being assembled on the Pick-n-Place

Woohoo! Congrats to Parallax for another awesome product well done!!
    Whisker is a hardware and wetware hacker, and produces geeky content on a daily basis. Atdiy is a cardiovascular nurse by day and an electronics n00b at night. Together we're the Toymakers (Tymkrs) and we post videos/blogs on electronics, DIY projects, and whatever else we happen upon! Visit us at http://tymkrs.com, http://zombietech.tv, and http://firstspin.tv! Our projects are on http://tymkrs.com/forum and you can chat with us daily at #tymkrs!

Cool! I think I saw mine on the line there!
    MOV OUTA, PEACE

... Rick

I've stopped using programming languages with Garbage Collection, they keep deleting my source code!!

"Forth is FUN!"

Introduction to TACHYON Forth

PropFORTH Wiki

@Tymkrs - Thank you very much - I will be sure to pass this on to the manufacturing team. Between the engineers, education program and manufacturing I must say there's a tremendous effort in this product. To know that customers appreciate our work is an incentive to deliver more in the future.

@mindrobots - Maybe so! We'll repeat this process for about 100 more times to make over 500 units in the next couple of days. We'll probably finish all of these before we ship a single unit. I really need a couple of these too since I'm working with various prototypes that seem to be missing key components. Since you're a writer and I'm a business person I'll make sure you get one before me. Same for Tymkrs, too.

We're carefully spending your money to give you the finest quality product with a lifetime guarantee, made in the USA. If anybody's thinking about buying one of these you should know that you have no risk whatsoever - we want our customers to be happy with this board and the educational program.

Ken Gracey

Follow me on Twitter

I'm already really happy with my Prototype PropBOE. It's really right up there as one of the top boards your team has made. I'm finding that it's seeing more use than even my PPDB lately for just experimenting with stuff.

Roy

Hey, don't forget about Education staff. We need some too! ;-)

We have about 75 pages of content developed on a prototype PropBOE that need to be updated with the actual production units so we can continue releasing a ton of material. We already released some here:
    http://learn.parallax.com/PropellerBOE

But after we have the boards we will be back on track updating more content as explained here:
    http://learn.parallax.com/node/168
    Ari Alvarez
    President - SimplyTronics

This is great news! I have three robots in need of an update from the discontinued Propeller Robot Controller Boards.

Ken & Aristides, with a lifetime guarantee, made in the USA and awesome educational material I can't see why any educational program wouldn't invest in these boards from Parallax.

Glad to be a Parallax customer,
    Tony

This is a very exciting event as the Propeller "generation" begins effectively to supplant the Basic Stamp "generation", building directly on the long history and mass of material for the Basic Stamp BOE. It's also interesting to me that the "bar" has been raised. With the release of the Raspberry Pi board for educational use in the UK and elsewhere, the expectations for programming education for the general population has clearly been raised as well.

Thanks for the reminder. For some unknown reason I've been putting off pre-ordering one but just did after seeing this thread! Can't wait to get it!

@Mr. Gracey,

In the video of the pick-&-place activity, there's a moment when the "head" passes over a part of the machine and a "flash" occurs.

What's that about?

Quote Originally Posted by davejames View Post
    @Mr. Gracey,

In the video of the pick-&-place activity, there's a moment when the "head" passes over a part of the machine and a "flash" occurs.

What's that about?
    That's the camera and a flash, providing part positioning prior to placing on the board.

Ken Gracey

Follow me on Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by 4x5n View Post
    Thanks for the reminder. For some unknown reason I've been putting off pre-ordering one but just did after seeing this thread! Can't wait to get it!
    Same here - I just ordered one.

Didn't get an order confirmation Email though ??? - maybe because it is a pre-order...

I couldn't find a board schematic anyplace - is it available?

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Czapala View Post
    Same here - I just ordered one.

Didn't get an order confirmation Email though ??? - maybe because it is a pre-order...

I couldn't find a board schematic anyplace - is it available?
    Here ya go Ron, post #68

http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?137235-Propeller-Board-of-Education-Quick-Look-and-Pre-order/page4&highlight=Propeller+BOE

I have three propellers

@hover1,
    Thanks! That post says "preliminary" but certainly helps!

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Gracey View Post
    That's the camera and a flash, providing part positioning prior to placing on the board.
    ...okey dokey - thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by davejames View Post
    ...okey dokey - thanks!
    I assume it both makes up for the random variation in positioning caused by the extra room in the tape/reel packaging as well as checking it actually did pick up a component! (Or is that done via pneumatics?) Mmmmm, lovely machine!

Thumbs up Re: Propeller Board of Educations being assembled on the Pick-n-Place

OMG Ship the things already! Too much waiting!!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5995sm.jpg‎
Views:	45
Size:	163.7 KB
ID:	90214  

Blog Entries

I just have to say, remembering being in that room for the UPEW tour last year, that Parallax has about 40,000 sqft worth of plant stuffed into 20,000 sqft worth of building. It would drive me nuts. I work in a 20,000 sqft building too, started out as warehouse rather than light manufacturing form factor and my boss divided it up into a few big rooms. I share the building with about 10 employees and a 400 sqft office with one salesman and some file cabinets. Parallax has about as many people in that one building as we do in 10 offices including 2 of 20,000 sqft and many of whom spend much of their day out doing field service. Ken, have you guys given any thought to future expansion?

Its actually pretty spacious in some places in Parallax.
    Nyamekye,

@localroger - I'm not sure if real estate is any less expensive in New Orleans than California. California is notoriously, artifically, and significiantly overpriced. Rocklin is still about half the price of the San Francisco Bay Area but twice that of neighboring states like Nevada, Utah, or Oregon.

To answer your question, Parallax owns the building so relocation is a bit complex (sell this, buy another one). If we grow the Propeller business to higher levels of success then we'll look carefully at a 40-50K SF building in the next couple of years. I can certainly see this being part of our plan in the next five years. We need double the space in manufacturing, double the warehouse, and probably about 20% increase in office area. Hopefully we will grow before the recession is over so we can take advantage of the many vacant buildings in our Tech Center. Several large office/light manufacturing spaces were in progress around 2006 and never occupied, and are now owned by banks.

Ken Gracey

Follow me on Twitter

+ Reply to Thread