+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Support OS X 10.7 Lion

Default Support OS X 10.7 Lion

Hi,

Please support whatever needs to be done to permit Basic Stamp programming using Mac OS X Lion.

Best,

Daniel

Default Re: Support OS X 10.7 Lion

Hello Daniel,
    Apple dropped support (in Lion) for they way that we compiled and delivered the Stamp Tokenizer library. We know about this and have plans to correct it, but for now the way to get around it is to it through Bootcamp to get it to work. I hope that this helps.

-Nick

I've been using VM ware Fusion to run WinXP. It works quite well. In fact, since Lion only supports Win7 in Bootcamp, I have found that VMware fusion runs XP in a virtual environment better than the virtual machine that is part of Win7 Professional.

I think it would be a good idea to recompile the Stamp tokenizer as a "Universal Binary" so it will run natively on both PowerPC Macs (old, but still usable) and Intel Macs, therefore run under Lion. It would encourage use of the BS2px to include that in the tokenizer as well.

As others have mentioned, using Windows XP under VMware or Parallels Desktop works great. It also helps with other Windows-only programs like the PC part of ViewPort and the PropScope. I can also run the Prop Tool even though BST works fine on the Mac.

Exclamation Re: Support OS X 10.7 Lion

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Green View Post
    I think it would be a good idea to recompile the Stamp tokenizer as a "Universal Binary" so it will run natively on both PowerPC Macs (old, but still usable) and Intel Macs, therefore run under Lion. It would encourage use of the BS2px to include that in the tokenizer as well.

As others have mentioned, using Windows XP under VMware or Parallels Desktop works great. It also helps with other Windows-only programs like the PC part of ViewPort and the PropScope. I can also run the Prop Tool even though BST works fine on the Mac.

Yes it would be a very good idea you recompile the stamp tokenuzer ! can you tell us why this is so long to do ? and who is suppose to do this ?

Thank you.

Upvote for Lion Support. Santa brought 2 sumobots this morning, we built, and are now dead in the water then minute we turned the page to start programming. Kids were ticked off at Santa.

Hi,

As requested, we are now updating the PBASIC Tokenizer and will recompile it so that it will work under Lion. We plan to release the new tokenizer by mid-January 2012 and Murat (maker of the MacBS2 software) has indicated he will include it in his next release of the software.

Thank you for the suggestions and for your patience.
    Jeff Martin
    Parallax Inc.
    (916) 624-8333 x3002
    jmartin@parallax.com
    http://www.parallax.com

This is GREAT news! It will be good to be programming again. Thanks to all of you at Parallax and to Murat.

Mike Logan

YES! Happy New Year to that!
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. -- HST

my site: 1uffakind.com
    create bitmap data tool: 1uffakind.com/robots/povBitMapBuilder.php
    resistor ladder tool: 1uffakind.com/robots/resistorLadder.php
    convert images to ascii art: 1uffakind.com/apptoys/convtoascii/
    MC6808/Hero-1 assembler: 1uffakind.com/apptoys/onlinecompilers/MC6800/

YES! Thank you all

I was just going to add support to this topic, but am now very happy that this is being worked on. I have been teaching BOE-Bots in a high school class for about 7-8 years and one of my students brought in a brand new Macbook this year and couldn't use it. The BS2 binary is the main reason I have not upgraded my own machine to Lion as I use it too much, so this is great news!

Hi,

UPDATE: We are working on the solution for this and expect it to be available to the public before the end of February 2012.
    Jeff Martin
    Parallax Inc.
    (916) 624-8333 x3002
    jmartin@parallax.com

How is the current state ? Do you had success recompiling it ? I would really like to use it on my Mac.

Yes, I need this as well. Would it be possible to release a beta at least and have the community identify the remaining issues? Or are we talking like Alpha/Pre-Alpha stage as of yet?

Hi Folks,

I am now targeting April 6th as the date to have this finished and released. I know you're all as eager for this to move forward as I am to get it done.

Thank you!
    Jeff Martin
    Parallax Inc.
    (916) 624-8333 x3002
    jmartin@parallax.com

Hi,

We just received our ordered BOE BOT Robot today, but can't program it since we've only iMAC and Macbook computers in the company.
    Any update on the MAC version of the software?

Best regards,
    Remy Knecht
    3D CONSULT

UPDATE:

As of last week, I have put everything else on temporary hold in order to focus on this PBASIC Tokenizer library update, because it just isn't getting done in-between other projects. So I'll be working on this update this week and will update this thread with new details as soon as I have them to share. Thank you for your continued patience.
    Jeff Martin
    Parallax Inc.
    (916) 624-8333 x3002
    jmartin@parallax.com

just for general information. mac alredy take 20% of the pc market and still counting. this new update will work with basic stamp only or will apply to propeller too?
    thanks

This update is for the Basic Stamp Tokenizer which is the PBasic compiler and downloader for the Stamps. You can already compile and download Propeller programs using BST on the Mac. It runs just fine under Lion and has since Lion was originally released. It has a built-in serial terminal that shares the serial port with the compiler.

The download description for BST on Parallax's website doesn't mention Lion, but that's just the lack of an update to the description once Lion was released. It works fine.

thanks mike i will try....

+ Reply to Thread