+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Support OS X 10.7 Lion

Default Re: Support OS X 10.7 Lion

Update 2:

Hi Parallax Fans! I have good news and bad news...

Good News: I've addressed a number of issues (hundreds actually) in the PBASIC Tokenizer source so that it now compiles via XCode 4 on OSx Lion without any errors or warnings.

Bad News: I can't get it to link to my tester code. In fact, I can't get XCode to generate anything other than a ".a" file which I'm not sure is the right thing (we wish to release this as a static or dynamic library to be included in any software that wishes to compile for BASIC Stamp 2 and later... like we've done in the past). I think I may be on the right path now, but to make sure, I would sure appreciate it if a well-versed XCode developer would kindly donate a little of his/her time to speak with me over the phone. I've searched many resources internally and on the net, but am not able to find clear answers, which makes me think I'm asking the wrong questions.

Regardless, I'm still pursuing this effort and wanted you to know.
    Jeff Martin
    Parallax Semiconductor
    (916) 624-8333 x3002
    jmartin@parallaxsemiconductor.com
    http://www.parallaxsemiconductor.com

Update 3:

Well, no one responded, but now I've solved the generation and linking problem I had (I think). But there are many failures while running the test suite on PBASIC code. The type of errors I see are probably related to a set of common issues and I'm going to have to carefully weed them out. There's still a chance it's something I'm overlooking, but proof of that will likely show up as I try to solve each problem. I'll report back the next milestone I reach.

Thanks.
    Jeff Martin
    Parallax Semiconductor
    (916) 624-8333 x3002
    jmartin@parallaxsemiconductor.com
    http://www.parallaxsemiconductor.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Martin View Post

Regardless, I'm still pursuing this effort and wanted you to know.
    Thanks for working on this and sharing your progress. I am sure that many (hundreds, thousands?) of Mac users are eager to program the Basic Stamps in OS X.

Yes I am waiting eagerly for the OS X Lion BASIC programming environment to be ready for use
    FIRST Robotics Competition Team 2370 awards
    2008 Highest Rookie qualifier award, Website award
    2009 Really hard game, no awards
    2010 Quality Award Sponsored by Motorola, Regional Finalists (2nd place overall)
    2011 Regional Winners (went from dead last to 1st place and winning)
    2012 Top 20 Qualifiers

It appears that Parallax isn't going to support the Basic Stamp. So I have moved on to the Arduino Uno. If anyone is as frustrated about the support for the Basic Stamp as I am, I highly recommend the Ardunio. It has been a smooth transition for me. It is great to be programming again!

By not supporting the Stamp anymore you mean???
    2010 Quality Award Sponsored by Motorola, Regional Finalists (2nd place overall)
    2012 Top 20 Qualifiers

Drive by troll....ignore it
    Improvment....prototyping....radical development....call it whatever u want
    I call it "Having fun til it breaks...then makn it harder to break"

Still have my fingers crossed, and checking periodically. Anything?

Quote Originally Posted by tobdec View Post
    Drive by troll....ignore it
    I wasn't trying to offend anyone. I was just stating my situation of not being able to program in pBasic using OSX Lion. I have been a customer of Parallax for many years and have used their products while coaching Science Olympiad. I have not been able to use the Basic Stamp since January after upgrading to Lion. At some point I decided that I must move on...

checking in everyday. Any word on the Lion version yet?
    2012 Top 20 Qualifiers

I have a new Macbook Pro with Lion. When I run BST, it launches off screen and I can not interact with it. any ideas?

from what I have heard is that a new mac/windows compiler is on its way .. what date I have no clue .

I dont remember if it was for Prop only or both ..

Ken Et Al .. you know I will support all the parallax products .

But if Some one asked can i use a mac with a BS2 I have to say .. NO...
    its not like Us mac nuts can just shoehorn 10.5 on a new mac to please Old SW . this is not a PC you can ""upgrade"" From Vista to XP on LOLS

it t was that easy I bet Many would do it ..

cause 90% of the time its a New mac user . not some old Fart like me on 10.5.8 !

all this said ,,,,,

PEOPLE Please ! Please!! LEARN VMs!

ANY modern computer can Run VMs with minimal hassle ..

Ditch the apple version .. VM XP and GET ON WITH LIFE ... Trust me once you master this a Whole new world of compatibility opens up !
    Last edited by Peter KG6LSE; 06-03-2012 at 12:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter KG6LSE View Post

all this said ,,,,,

PEOPLE Please ! Please!! LEARN VMs!

ANY modern computer can Run VMs with minimal hassle ..

Ditch the apple version .. VM XP and GET ON WITH LIFE ... Trust me once you master this a Whole new world of compatibility opens up !
    I second this....my gf ran a VM'ed version of her vista pc for months on her macbook until she fully learned OSX. Windows XP on ANY Mac built in the past 5 years would be cake work in a VM if one was to only program the BS2 or Prop IDE.
    Improvment....prototyping....radical development....call it whatever u want
    I call it "Having fun til it breaks...then makn it harder to break"

I fully understood that you and your team had just a little amount of time and that you had trouble porting this to OSX Lion. But meanwhile i'm really pissed. I paid a lot of money for your products and you make promises about the finish date of the port which you can't hold.

Please keep in mind that there are a lot of customers on OSX Lion. Do you know back there in 2011 when you wrote that the support for OSX Lion should be done by "mid-January 2012". Well its june now !

Sincerely,
    a angry and impatient customer.

Have you tried running in a VM as suggested above? Or is it easier to just sit and be upset? If you were really so upset I would think that you would be doing whatever was in your control to alleviate the situation and get on with your coding/developing. You bought a computer with an operating system that is not supported (yet) so it's the fault of Parallax that they haven't 'fixed' your situation?

I too am looking forward to the long-awaited arrival of an IDE for the Basic Stamp on Lion. And JLocke, it is an issue of choice: I choose the Stamp long ago because there was a means of programming it via the Mac, and I choose to not have any Windows bits on my machine. I'm not upset...it's just silly that a proper release has been long promised and taken so long, and it's an indication that Parallax does not deem native support for the Mac to be of a high priority. I respect that.

So, gentlefolk at Parallax, why don't you release this code into the wild, and make it open source? Clearly a) it is not important enough to you that it warrants a timely update to run on Lion, b) I cannot believe that the economic value of this code is so high that you'd lose any revenue - indeed, there's an obvious upside, for now you reopen the market to Macophiles under Lion and beyond - and finally c) I have to believe in the power of crowd sourcing, for if the traffic on this board and elsewhere is any indication, I expect you'd find dozens of folks who would leap at the chance to bring this code to a place where I can run under Lion.

It is unfortunate that the only support currently available for the Stamps on the Mac relies on running Windows on a VM. It does work though.

On the Propeller side of things, BST is a lost cause under Lion or Mountain Lion, but that's not Parallax's fault and you can still use BSTC as a command line tool. In fact, SimpleIDE works great under Mountain Lion and you can compile either Spin (using BSTC) or C (using GCC) with it.

I have enough tools that only run under Windows that it's well worth maintaining a copy of Windows XP under ParallelsDesktop. I can run the PropScope software, Hanno's various programs, the Stamp Editor, the Propeller Tool, PST, and others.

I have invested a lot of time and effort in projects with BS. Main reason to work with BS was the compatibility with Mac and the editor from murat konar. Could anyone of the parallax folks tell me why they are so unfriendly with all the Mac users out there and dont update the tokenizer ? As with Windows we Mac users are updating our systems from time to time and actual we are with Lion and Mountainlion. So I (and a lot of other Mac-people) am still waiting for an update to the konar editor, but not for long anymore... I might switch to arduino (lot of people do), rasperryPi or whatelse , but not BASIC STAMP anymore !! Sorry, but time is running out... and this is a real sad story at all !
    Last edited by guebeli; 09-10-2012 at 08:58 PM.

While I can't let apple off the hook totaly......... Riddle me this . Why could rosetta not just be a Extra to install .... you want it .. then here is the URL .. have Fun .

You don't bog the normal users but We get what we need .

Unhappy Re: Support OS X 10.7 Lion

I too really would like to have a compatible version of the stamp editor that is Mac Os X intel compatible.

We have a lab of intel iMacs. And we actually plan to buy more soon.

It looks like we will have to retire the old fleet of USB boebots and move on to LEGO mindstorms and other products if parallax doesnt get their act together.

+ Reply to Thread