+ Reply to Thread

Thread: a 24x1 LCD (All Elect. LED-111 a Wintek# WDC2401P-1GNNA)

Default a 24x1 LCD (All Elect. LED-111 a Wintek# WDC2401P-1GNNA)

Has anyone used this LCD?

For some reason the initialization of $1C, $14, $28, $4F, $E0 doesn't seem to work. Is that a correct sequence?

I got this from a couple of sources. Googling Parallax wasn't helpful. I'm trying to use it with a QuickStart board. At $1.85/module; only problem s te 50 mil i/f header. I got mine several years back.
    Last edited by HShanko; 08-25-2011 at 11:27 PM.
    Harley Shanko

Sydney/Brisbane Australia or 'sailing on the high seas'

Default Re: a 24x1 LCD (All Elect. LED-111 a Wintek# WDC2401P-1GNNA)

There are some drivers for LCDs based on the HD...780? chip in the obex. I suggest you try that.
    BTW I noticed that the pinouts for some LCDs have the RW, RS & E pins in different order.
    My Prop boards: CpuBlade, TriBlade, RamBlade, www.clusos.com
    Prop Tools (Index)
    Emulators (Index) ZiCog (Z80)
    Prop OS (also see Sphinx, PropDos, PropCmd)

Thanks Cuso99

This LCD used the the Hitachi 66717 IC. This is a new onne for me. I'll look into the OBEX in case there's any thing there on it.

I Googled the display but got mostly all All Electric references. And I didn't notice any there of help. Maybe I 'looked' too fast. Ive got a document on the IC but I didn't see any reference to 'init' in the ~100 pages. Trying to do too much at once I suppose with the QuickStart module.
    Harley Shanko

I've finally added a photo to my avatar. A stray female showed up 4+ years ago, then winter came and she didn't show up until early Spring. Soon she was 'showing'. A calico which had a pleasant attitude to humans; oh yeah, we fed her. Soon, she would come into the house, then quickly exit. More of this and she realized we'd not hurt her. Finally she 'picked a spot' behind a bookcase for her 4 babies. No two the same. A large 'tiger' striped, a orange striped, a calico and a smaller grey patterned kitten. We call her Cubby (I chose Chubby; wife thought Cubby better). She is still chubby somewhat. Anyway, recently she climbed up on another bookcase and fell asleep. I couldn't resist this snoozer. Should have gotten a slightly more zoomed shot. OFF SUBJECT, but some members are cat lovers.
    Harley Shanko

Cluso99,

I did find some info in the OBEX on this item. It seems they don't use the reset pin of the LCD.

Maybe my part is 'bad'; I do have 2 others. Unfortunately the 0.050" spaced pins on the LCD don't lend themselves to any cable/connector. I soldered wire-wrap wires from the LCD to a 2x7 header, and that is a tedious job to repeat. But I'm not giving up yet one this.
    Harley Shanko

Sydney/Brisbane Australia or 'sailing on the high seas'

I would try one of the 44780 obex drivers. Take that and remove the character downloading as this is different. Check to see it is initialising correctly in 8bit mode (as the specs say it does not work in 4 bit mode).
    My Prop boards: CpuBlade, TriBlade, RamBlade, www.clusos.com
    Prop Tools (Index)
    Emulators (Index) ZiCog (Z80)
    Prop OS (also see Sphinx, PropDos, PropCmd)

@ Hanno, or anyone else who's more familiar with ViewPort than I am, as far as getting it ro load and run.

Now that I've verified that ViewPort is working properly, for some reason this program doesn't load or configure properly. I'm not sure is our 3 cats have 'been playing/laying/stepping' on wrong keys and modified my code. I had copy/pasted and edited what I had working with VP. I can't see what is wrong. I've ploughed through the VP manual, but don't notice any funnies. Yet this QuickStart board and VP runs Hanno's 4-bit counter demo.

Q. Can 'vp.share include Longs on down to Bytes?

LCD_24x1.spin
    Harley Shanko

Finally found why this LCD wouldn't work. After checking the wiring many times, today I found I had even/odd pairs swapped in the wiring on the mezzanine board. Rather than mess any thing up further, I just wrote code to do the swapping. Voilâ! It now works.

Having lost my schematic generating CAD when the old Mac PS failed, and cannot find anyone to replace parts/boards. So my hand-sketch had some missing resistors (incase I used the Read feature on the LCD which is 5v powered), and just did that from my memory. Guess I was thinking I was working from the bottom side of the mezzanine perf board.

Also wasn't sure if the LCD worked, having bought 3 some years back from All Electronics. Now, if I can recall what I wanted to do with this setup, it's been so long. Well, it was just something to test on the QuickStart board. That LCD is longer than the QS board; a bit awkward, with the ends of the LCD hanging out on each side. But wasn't done for looks; in fact the soldered wire-wrap wire on the mezzanine board topside makes it messy looking. To me the QS board is a beauty. Thanks Parallax.
    Last edited by HShanko; 08-26-2011 at 09:29 PM. Reason: nceed typos
    Harley Shanko

+ Reply to Thread