+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 50 TetraProp(tm) Boards now ready to ship !

Default 50 TetraProp(tm) Boards now ready to ship !

TetraProp PCBs are now available. I have 50 bare boards in stock.

PM with your mailing address, and I'll respond with my PayPal email and the total order cost.

Price list (1):
    • 1 to 9 boards at $12.50 each
    • 10 to 19 boards at $11 each
    • 20 to 49 boards at $10 each
    • 50 to 99 boards at $9 each
    • 1x8 headers at $0.30 each
    • Assembled board + headers at $99 each (2)(3)
    Notes (1),(2),(3):
    1. California residents add %8.25 sales tax (my rate is higher, but I'll pay the difference).
    2. Introductory price for kits with assembled boards and 24 separate 1x8 stacking headers.
    3. Please allow demand dependent lead time for assembled boards.
    TetraProp(tm) is a Gadget Gangster Propeller Platform compatible board design.

TetraProp(tm) 4 Propeller Feature Set
    • Headers allow interconnections for user's design
    • Four independent Propeller islands on one board
    • Propeller and EEPROM are SMD
    • Other components through-hole for easy modification
    • Jumper selectable reset type
    • Socket for crystal
    • PropPlug header for every Propeller
    • All stacker pins on 0.1" grid for connecting to a protoboard.
    The strengths of this board are that it allows any connection for the user and saves board cost.
    The reset circuit can be configured for normal propeller operation with BOE low or reset hold until released with BOE high.

There are no shorted connections on these boards by design ... sometimes people dream things up to put us down.
    The SCL pins do not have pull-ups and are not necessary for eeprom booting; pull-ups can be added if necessary.

Connecting all the chips to one clock was never the intention of this design. Complaining such things is just silly anti-marketing.

Last edited by jazzed; Yesterday at 07:46 PM. Reason: removed pricing information

Default Re: TetraProp(tm) Propeller Platform Board Pre-announcement

I might just print that, frame it, and hang it in front of my desk at work...nice job!

Jonathan
    Free time status: see my avatar [8^)
    F32 - fast & concise floating point: OBEX, Thread
    Unrelated to the prop: KISSlicer

Looks great! Looking forward to seeing it at UPEW.

Well done.

I agree with Jonathan, that's a very nice board.

Any idea on the price of the bare boards? If the price if right, I'd like 10.

I know other's seem to prefer through hole parts but I've found surface mount parts to be extremely convenient. I'd personally prefer to have the resistors and capacitors surface mount. I think the capacitor holes are close enough to use with a surface mount part.

That's a really cool board. I hope you have them for sale soon.

Duane

Blog Entries

Ok, I'll be the one to ask a stupid question. I know there will be a list of obvious answers, but why 4 independent props on one board?

Excellent layout though. Nice and clean, kept everything uniform for each prop pattern. To satisfy Duane's request, it does appear you have almost all the room necessary to double up each passive location with a set of SMT pads (like the Schmartboard layout). Any reason why R5, R6, R11, and R12 are not in the vertical orientation? If they were, you could fit a 1206 package across the TH pads and you could actually use SMT as it exists without doubling up the pad locations. I have used SMT parts across TH pads/holes many times.
    Andrew Williams
    WBA Consulting

Hi guys. Q&A below. I really appreciate the opportunity to answer. Thanks for asking.

@lonesock, Thank you for your eloquent accolade. You made my day!

Quote Originally Posted by WBA Consulting View Post
    Ok, I'll be the one to ask a stupid question. I know there will be a list of obvious answers, but why 4 independent props on one board?
    Andrew, there are several ways to connect Propellers for multi-processing experiments or otherwise. Lots of people have different ways of doing it. I have a certain vision, but it's not the same as others' visions of how to do that.

Some multiple propeller topographies include:
    • I2C which works well with propeller
    • Point to point serial connections
    • Mesh serial connections
    • Ring connections
    • 10 pin parallel bus
    Now, if someone has a favorite topography, they can use it. And if they need more than one for some reason, I can make the design very quickly (very few traces on the bottom), and produce it for them. Cost of doing a custom depends on their needs and I can be compensated by fee, royalty, or markup - more flexibility. I hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by WBA Consulting View Post
    Any reason why R5, R6, R11, and R12 are not in the vertical orientation? If they were, you could fit a 1206 package across the TH pads and you could actually use SMT as it exists without doubling up the pad locations. I have used SMT parts across TH pads/holes many times.
    There is no particular reason for the orientation. I've used SMT parts like that too just last week
    I'm happy to change the design to allow this.

@davidsaunders, I've made my own boards before, but I don't like doing it at all because of chemicals and other things. There are advantages in having a board house do it.

Cost per board is the biggest driver. The price per board drops as the number of boards built increases. Can't beat that with a stick

I'd like a couple of those boards as well when you go to production..

I'm interested in the bare PCB's. This would work extremely well with pass-through connections so that it can be sandwiched between the Propeller Platform and an AV board.

OBC
    Visit PROPELLERPOWERED.COM -:- PMC/PEB 2014 available now!
    After you are done here, wander over to our friendly forums.
    Projects, not Platforms -:- Follow me on Twitter.

Thanks Duane.

I'll sell individual TetraProp(tm) bare boards at $12.50 each.

10 to 19 boards at $11 each
    20 to 49 boards at $10 each
    50 to 99 boards at $9 each
    100+ PM

Custom TetraProp(tm) designs require a minimum order quantity of 20 boards.
    Other custom board designs would be on different terms.

Quote Originally Posted by Duane Degn View Post
    I agree with Jonathan, that's a very nice board.

Any idea on the price of the bare boards? If the price if right, I'd like 10.

I know other's seem to prefer through hole parts but I've found surface mount parts to be extremely convenient. I'd personally prefer to have the resistors and capacitors surface mount. I think the capacitor holes are close enough to use with a surface mount part.

That's a really cool board. I hope you have them for sale soon.

Duane

I'm in for 2. Would you like us to pre-order? Set up a scenario that you are comfortable with and I'll bet there is an order for twenty here.

OBC

Thanks OBC. Yes, i thought about the stacking too, but I don't have room on the board to make stacking super easy.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldbitcollector (Jeff) View Post
    I'd like a couple of those boards as well when you go to production..

I'm interested in the bare PCB's. This would work extremely well with pass-through connections so that it can be sandwiched between the Propeller Platform and an AV board.

OBC

Outside of maybe a CAP, I don't see why this board doesn't lend itself to being stacked.

I created a single Propeller version of this board last weekend, and have had no issues with resistor/wire jumpers from the inside row of pins to connection points on my board.

OBC

I'm in for four.

I agree with Andrew, I'd like all the resistors in the vertical orientation so I can use 1206 smt resistors.

Duane

Quote Originally Posted by Duane Degn View Post
    I'm in for four.

I agree with Andrew, I'd like all the resistors in the vertical orientation so I can use 1206 smt resistors.

Duane
    But then those of us who don't want to have to deal with SMT parts end up having vertical resistors that can more easily bend and break off and generally look messy. It seems like if you're going to cater to SMT you might as well just get rid of the option for through-hole entirely.

I'm not a big fan of vertical resistors either, but a 1206 plays nice with a 0.35" spaced (or greater) through-hole.

Click image for larger version

Name:	1206_and_point35in.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	6.3 KB
ID:	80974

I'm in for one board (sorry it's a small number, and not even a prime number at that!)

Jonathan
    Free time status: see my avatar [8^)
    F32 - fast & concise floating point: OBEX, Thread
    Unrelated to the prop: KISSlicer

If it was just me, I would make everything SMD except the large polar capacitor and the headers.

Anyone opposed to that option? I know there is lot's of "resistance" to that, but it's worth a try.

The EEPROM pull up resistors have to be either SMD or vertical.

Quote Originally Posted by lonesock View Post
    I'm not a big fan of vertical resistors either, but a 1206 plays nice with a 0.35" spaced (or greater) through-hole.

Attachment 80974

I'm in for one board (sorry it's a small number, and not even a prime number at that!)

Jonathan
    @OBC, yes stacking is definitely an option.

I'm not a fan of vertical through-hole resistors. I guess I'd vote for surface-mount, especially since the Props are surface mount anyway.

First off, GREAT JOB. I love seeing a 4 processor board on the market at last! (Using a Propeller of course.) Kudos to you!

BTW, I've designed a PCB with SMD parts, but I have never produced it mainly because I can't solder those close pins with my budget soldering iron. Now that I see these are selling in bare boards.... Hmm.... this inspires me.
    Projects, tutorials, and more! http://microcontrolled.com/

What are the expected applications for this board?
    Weather forecast? Molecular modelling?

Ok. Here's the plan.

1. Board Change: All components are SMD except the big capacitor and the headers. I've added dual footprint bodies for the optional reset circuit so you can have horizontal through-hole or SMD. The top post picture is updated. Make sure your reset BOE* configuration is strapped down for normal operation with the SV jumpers.

2. Prototypes: I will be building 2 prototype PCBs for design verification on a quick-turn. The 2 board cost will be $110.00. I hope to have one an assembled board available for UPEW.

3. Production: After I know the boards are good, I'll start a small production build of about 20 boards. This build will cost more than the number of offers on the table, but that's Ok. Hopefully more will come. Given past experience I expect that the boards will be in my hands by June 7th.

4. Sales Orders: Once boards are ready, i'll take orders according to the price list posted in my response to Duane. Hopefully by that time www.MicroCsource.com will be working. If it is not operational, PayPal transfers can be used.

5. Assembly Help: For those of you who may need some pointers on Propeller assembly, I'll be looking around for some videos that could help. If I can't find anything demonstrating some "SMD by hand with a fat soldering iron tip" techniques, I'll make a video for you.

That's the plan. Thanks.

@william chan, Thanks for asking as It allows me to clarify. I am not delusional about what "super things" might be done with this hardware.

This board is designed to be used with a Propeller Platform main board such as Propeller Platform USB or the classic kit board to allow 5 (or maybe 9) Propeller experiments. The original intention for the board is delivery to the person who encouraged me to build the board. There has been some interest in multi propeller experiments in the forum before, and there probably will be again.

The board is designed for flexibility and owners can do whatever they like with it. Some interconnection possibilities for multi-processing have already been listed. Some customization with the basic platform can be done if someone needs it to have permanent connections.

I will not be personally trying to write drivers for this board soon because I have enough to do already. If you want one example of my experiments which validate my thinking on some of the reset options and other concerns, you can click here for the octoprop thread..
    Last edited by jazzed; 05-08-2011 at 12:37 AM.

SMD and put it the toaster oven.
    (one that is never used for food after that)
    Video of me doing it.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8j0impc6ebQ

+ Reply to Thread