+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 26

Thread: "Und3rb3lly" - Upgrading the Propeller Proto Board to C3 style memory

  1. #1

    Default "Und3rb3lly" - Upgrading the Propeller Proto Board to C3 style memory

    This board is a by-product of another project i'm working on. It fits under the propeller proto board and gives it C3 compatible memory functionality - twin SRAM, one Flash, one ADC, one USD.

    There is also 3 resistor TV out, but no audio just yet.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Und3rb3lly_top.jpg‎
Views:	388
Size:	76.4 KB
ID:	77879   Click image for larger version

Name:	Und3rb3lly_Proto.jpg‎
Views:	357
Size:	118.7 KB
ID:	77878   Click image for larger version

Name:	Und3rb3lly_Closeup.jpg‎
Views:	373
Size:	145.7 KB
ID:	77877  

  2. #2

    Default Re: "Und3rb3lly" - Upgrading the Propeller Proto Board to C3 style memory

    That is a lot of stuff for such a tiny circiut board, very cool stuff Tubular.

    How do I attach it? looks like it is soldered from the top side of the Proto board, Yes?
    Also where/how do I hook up the TV?

    This is why this forum exist's, thanks Tubular.

  3. #3

    Default Re: "Und3rb3lly" - Upgrading the Propeller Proto Board to C3 style memory

    Very nice! Is this board going to be for sale or is it just something you built for your own use?

  4. #4

    Default Re: "Und3rb3lly" - Upgrading the Propeller Proto Board to C3 style memory

    Tubular,

    Cool. Are you selling them?

    I'm pretty sure I haven't seen a microSD socket that small before.

    How many ADC channels?

    I'm really bad at reading "vanity" license plates. For those who are also so impaired the board is called "Under Belly". I think I'm probably the only one who wont see that imediately.

    It's a nice looking board. I hope I'm not the only one who thinks circuit board are "pretty"?

    Thanks,

    Duane

    Edit: I didn't see David's post before posting mine. I was still trying to figure out "Under Belly".

  5. #5

    Default Re: "Und3rb3lly" - Upgrading the Propeller Proto Board to C3 style memory

    Quote Originally Posted by Duane Degn View Post
    Tubular,

    It's a nice looking board. I hope I'm not the only one who thinks circuit board are "pretty"?
    Duane,

    I have to agree, that is a "pretty" circuit board, the purple solder mask really sets is off.

    One of the things I miss on the surface mount boards is the color bands on resistors, those are one of the things that made circuit boards look "neat" when I was a kid.

    C.W.

  6. #6

    WBA Consulting's Avatar
    Location
    4.3 Light Years from Rigil Kentaurus
    Posts
    2,139
    Blog Entries
    26

    Default Re: "Und3rb3lly" - Upgrading the Propeller Proto Board to C3 style memory

    Beautiful!!!! I love the design and the uSD socket you used. I am a big fan of that socket line from Molex even though they aren't very available. I have about 30 from a Molex rep and have a plan for a tiny board to make the tiniest micro SD card breakout board anyone has seen. Your concept of an add on board that mounts to the underside of a proto is well executed. What design software did you use?
    Andrew Williams
    WBA Consulting

  7. #7

    Default Re: "Und3rb3lly" - Upgrading the Propeller Proto Board to C3 style memory

    Quote Originally Posted by WBA Consulting View Post
    Beautiful!!!! I love the design and the uSD socket you used. I am a big fan of that socket line from Molex even though they aren't very available. I have about 30 from a Molex rep and have a plan for a tiny board to make the tiniest micro SD card breakout board anyone has seen. Your concept of an add on board that mounts to the underside of a proto is well executed. What design software did you use?
    Yep those have an amazingly small footprint (about 13x6mm), I find them really useful. And the higher versions > 3.35mm are not too bad to hand solder (3.35 3.75 5mm). The lower profile ones are difficult due to overhang of the body above the pins.

    I have a paid copy of Diptrace, but often revert to Rimu which was recommended by someone here on the forum. Kiwi product, very easy to use. But its schematic companion isn't a patch on diptrace or eagle.

    I showed someone who manufactures products with uSD that connector during the week. They had never seen anything like it. It does seem to be unique - perhaps patented?

    I look forward to seeing what you do with it

  8. #8

    Default Re: "Und3rb3lly" - Upgrading the Propeller Proto Board to C3 style memory

    Quote Originally Posted by ctwardell View Post
    Duane,

    I have to agree, that is a "pretty" circuit board, the purple solder mask really sets is off.

    One of the things I miss on the surface mount boards is the color bands on resistors, those are one of the things that made circuit boards look "neat" when I was a kid.

    C.W.
    C.W., when I was a kid I loved the look of 5k6/56k/560k resistors, something about the blue and green bands I guess. To this day my favourite number is 56 as a result.

    The purple boards are Laen @ Dorkbotpdx's new standard color, they certainly do stand out. But he sure had some horrible murky browns on the way to finding that purple!

  9. #9

    Default Re: "Und3rb3lly" - Upgrading the Propeller Proto Board to C3 style memory

    David,

    Thanks!. I don't have the time/infrastructure to sell these at the moment. These will eventually be manufactured as they the heart of an upcoming product, but I'm still tweaking the "Prop" side of the board, but that doesn't affect the underbelly side, which tests fine.

    So in the spirit of open source I'll make the design available in a few different formats. ExpressPCB is a good match as you could fit 6 on each MiniBoard, and the 7 mil traces are required. Its a single sided design apart from that pesky link, so its also home etchable for the adventurous.


    Quote Originally Posted by Duane Degn View Post
    Tubular,

    Cool. Are you selling them?

    I'm pretty sure I haven't seen a microSD socket that small before.

    How many ADC channels?

    I'm really bad at reading "vanity" license plates. For those who are also so impaired the board is called "Under Belly". I think I'm probably the only one who wont see that imediately.

    It's a nice looking board. I hope I'm not the only one who thinks circuit board are "pretty"?

    Thanks,

    Duane

    Edit: I didn't see David's post before posting mine. I was still trying to figure out "Under Belly".
    Hi Duane,
    The MicroSD is from Molex and I haven't seen anything else on the market quite like it. You can mount it next to the Prop chip as I have done on the "Prop side" and it slides across the top surface of the prop chip. The footprint is about 13x6mm.

    There are just two ADC channels on this board, connected with power from the 4 surface solder pads. Thats all I could fit on that inner 1.0" square. I am going to make a minor mod so that a second board at SPI address 9-14 can be stacked, so that would give a whole second set of peripherals and 4 analog inputs in total.

    Point taken regarding the "3" vs "e" thing. You're clearly not the only one! I might have to change that on the next rev.

    Thanks for the kind words.

  10. #10

    Default Re: "Und3rb3lly" - Upgrading the Propeller Proto Board to C3 style memory

    Quote Originally Posted by Ttailspin View Post
    That is a lot of stuff for such a tiny circiut board, very cool stuff Tubular.

    How do I attach it? looks like it is soldered from the top side of the Proto board, Yes?
    Also where/how do I hook up the TV?

    This is why this forum exist's, thanks Tubular.
    Hi Ttailspin,
    There are two, 12 or 13 pin 0.1" SIL headers than connect through to the proto board. One for P8-15 and one for P24-31. You can just use a header and solder both ends (for something rigid), or use a header and socket like I've done (so it can be removed). I'll attach a photo shortly to better show what I mean.

    The TV signal is one of the pins on the end of each 12 pin header. It needs to attach to an RCA phono connector, let me get a photo of that too.

  11. #11

    Default Re: "Und3rb3lly" - Upgrading the Propeller Proto Board to C3 style memory

    Tubular,

    Don't change the name on my account. Most people catch number/letter tricks much faster than I do.

  12. #12

    Smile Re: "Und3rb3lly" - Upgrading the Propeller Proto Board to C3 style memory

    so you just make these beautiful little boards to tease us huh?
    I would like to see one with 4 spi rams so that a whole long could be fetched like bill was doing...and may eventually get done. Maybe you could help out the guy with the proppad as it is a nice little device, but is missing a lot, and you like to cram a lot of stuff in a little space like I like. Or maybe you could get with jazzed to make a tiny little board with 32MB and uSD, etc.

    Thanks,

    Doug

  13. #13

    Default Re: "Und3rb3lly" - Upgrading the Propeller Proto Board to C3 style memory

    Quote Originally Posted by hinv View Post
    so you just make these beautiful little boards to tease us huh?
    I would like to see one with 4 spi rams so that a whole long could be fetched like bill was doing...and may eventually get done. Maybe you could help out the guy with the proppad as it is a nice little device, but is missing a lot, and you like to cram a lot of stuff in a little space like I like. Or maybe you could get with jazzed to make a tiny little board with 32MB and uSD, etc.
    Hi Doug. Sorry for the tease, can't afford to support these for others right now, really wish I was retired and then it might be easier. Or perhaps I need to talk to GG.

    Thanks for the feedback. I think Bill was picking up data in a parallel nibble at a time, which would be faster, the restriction here is really one SPI device at a time (unless more than 1 underbelly is stacked somehow). I think Jazzed is working on something small too, not sure what exactly.

  14. #14

    WBA Consulting's Avatar
    Location
    4.3 Light Years from Rigil Kentaurus
    Posts
    2,139
    Blog Entries
    26

    Default Re: "Und3rb3lly" - Upgrading the Propeller Proto Board to C3 style memory

    Tubular, nice, if you would be willing to share your library file for the molex footprint, I would love to have it to help me make the board quicker and I'll send you a couple PCBs when i get tehm made. As for the different heights, you are spot on. I have 3 different heights and they can work great a few different ways. I am slo planning on using it like you are with the uSD card hanging over the prop on my backpack board for my M44D40+ module.
    Andrew Williams
    WBA Consulting

  15. #15

    Default Re: "Und3rb3lly" - Upgrading the Propeller Proto Board to C3 style memory

    WBA, sure. What's your preferred pcb layout program?

  16. #16

    WBA Consulting's Avatar
    Location
    4.3 Light Years from Rigil Kentaurus
    Posts
    2,139
    Blog Entries
    26

    Default Re: "Und3rb3lly" - Upgrading the Propeller Proto Board to C3 style memory

    Oh, oops, guess I should have mentioned that. I have the full version of DipTrace. Thanks!
    Andrew Williams
    WBA Consulting

  17. #17

    Default Re: "Und3rb3lly" - Upgrading the Propeller Proto Board to C3 style memory

    Quote Originally Posted by Ttailspin View Post
    That is a lot of stuff for such a tiny circiut board, very cool stuff Tubular.

    How do I attach it? looks like it is soldered from the top side of the Proto board, Yes?
    Also where/how do I hook up the TV?

    This is why this forum exist's, thanks Tubular.
    Ttailspin, here are those couple of photos I promised.

    This version needs to mount behind (under) the proto board, which isn't ideal. I'm working on a couple of variants that mount on top of the proto board above the Prop chip.

    tubular
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00938.jpg‎
Views:	182
Size:	94.2 KB
ID:	77938   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00940.jpg‎
Views:	147
Size:	95.5 KB
ID:	77939  

  18. #18
    Cluso99's Avatar
    Location
    Sydney/Brisbane Australia or 'sailing on the high seas'
    Posts
    9,982

    Default Re: "Und3rb3lly" - Upgrading the Propeller Proto Board to C3 style memory

    Nice tubular I find the uSD sockets a bit fiddly because they are so tiny.
    My Prop boards: CpuBlade, TriBlade, RamBlade, www.clusos.com
    Prop Tools (Index)
    Emulators (Index) ZiCog (Z80)
    Prop OS (also see Sphinx, PropDos, PropCmd)

  19. #19

    Default Re: "Und3rb3lly" - Upgrading the Propeller Proto Board to C3 style memory

    Quote Originally Posted by Cluso99 View Post
    Nice tubular I find the uSD sockets a bit fiddly because they are so tiny.
    Know what you mean. I've given up trying to do everything with one tiny board, I'm heading towards two versions, one ultra compact with limited breakout and one which will use the full size SD cards

  20. #20

    Default Re: "Und3rb3lly" - Upgrading the Propeller Proto Board to C3 style memory

    I think this warrent's the slang phrase,,"That's the Bomb, dude"..

    This in kit form, different components could be selected to customize heights and such. yes?

    So, when, where, and (i have to ask,) how much $...


    P.S. this is somewhat off topic,
    I am cursed to notice everything today.. don't take time to answer, if You don't have time... but..
    Is there a funny story behind that scuff mark on that big capacitor in the picture with the RCA jack?

+ Reply to Thread

Similar Threads

  1. "No propeller chip found on any serial port. Proto board stopped being recogni
    By bill-phx in forum Propeller 1 Multicore Microcontroller
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 03-22-2012, 04:04 PM
  2. Build your own "Propeller Mini Development Board"
    By Bean in forum Propeller 1 Multicore Microcontroller
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-13-2010, 03:44 AM
  3. "Identify Hardware" on propeller proto board does not work
    By sago in forum Propeller 1 Multicore Microcontroller
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-03-2008, 12:46 AM
  4. Separating the "Stack" and "Free" regions in the "View Info" window of
    By epmoyer in forum Propeller 1 Multicore Microcontroller
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-28-2007, 08:04 AM
  5. Children's Church "Press Your Luck" or "Whammy Board" HELP
    By Darin Roberts in forum BASIC Stamp
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 12-13-2005, 04:28 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts