+ Reply to Thread

Thread: RFID Reader Distance

Default RFID Reader Distance

Most of the RFID Readers available can only communicated with RFID tags within 2 - 5 inches.
    Is there anyway to increase this distance?

Thanks.
    Tim

Default Re: RFID Reader Distance

I think the problem with the distance isn't so much that the device cannot communicate, but rather it cannot transmit enough power wirelessly to the RFID key to have it transmit at further distances.

Personally I think 5 inches is a pretty good distance to power a device wirelessly and still have it send information back, wirelessly.
    "Humanity is not yet sufficiently advanced to be willingly led by the discoverer's keen searching sense." – Nikola Tesla

Some of my objects:
    MCP3X0X ADC Driver - Programmable Schmitt inputs, frequency reading, and more!
    Propeller-based Database (SPD-LW) - Making life easier and more readable for all your EEPROM storage needs.
    Check out my website (unrelated to this forum): NimonPro.com

I know industry can do it more distantly, but I think they used self-powered tags.
    -----------------
    Thomas Talbot, MD - New Market, Maryland, USA

From what I understand about the "Toll-Tag" systems used for toll roads is that those are RFID. The tags in the car dont have batteries. A senior project team I worked with a few years back did a system that utilized that sort of RFID technology - with the huge power amplifier and antennas. They were able to get good readings 25 ft away, but that box was really expensive (> $2000) and required alot of power.
    Daniel Harris
    Application Engineer, Parallax Inc
    (916) 632-4664 x 3003
    dharris@parallax.com
    http://www.parallax.com

Wavetrend have Active RFID tags that work easily over 20meters and last 5 years on the built-in coin cell ! Also, an RS232 serial reader, which is small and easy to interface to your uC.

Last time I checked the tags were about 20gbp and the reader 60gbp. Might be less... They don't sell small qty's direct, but lots of resellers worldwide to check for prices.

http://www.wavetrend.net

Might be worth a look.. Might be other manufacturers too if you search on Active Rfid.

Has anyone tried applying power to a passive RFID tags to try and turn it into an active one?

I just got an idea for a fox and hare game idea, trying to figure out the cheapest way to make each person's transponder.

But I guess each player would need a tag and a reader, which would put me nearly in the price range of xbees.

I am only looking at a range of 20 to 100 feet to count as a point for the foxes.

+ Reply to Thread