+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Force new topics to have a subject line

Default Force new topics to have a subject line

To help the willfully clueless who seem unable to grasp the concept of a subject line, how about having the forum refuse to accept a new forum topic unless it has a subject line? This will prevent moderators from having to tell people to "use the pencil icon", which only further confuses the already confused.

Thanks,
    PeterM
    Last edited by ForumTools; 10-02-2010 at 11:14 PM. Reason: Forum Migration

Parallax Engineering

Blog Entries

Peter,

That has been a wish for a long time. The current software does not support this feature, however we are looking into this. Take care.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage

Parallax Engineering
    50 72 6F 6A 65 63 74 20 53 69 74 65
    ·

Peter,

This has been suggested. I even mentioned once that, if it couldn't be forced, the default subject line should be changed from, "(No subject)" to, "The poster didn't care enough to include a subject, so this thread is probably not worth reading," or somesuch. But the problem, as I understand it, is that the forum software is a bit brittle and that making any small change would be like pulling a loose thread on a sweater.

-Phil

Personally, if a subject line couldn't be forced, then I would like a variable subject line where no subject was there for a day or so, then it switched to something like Phil said. Usually when I forget a subject (most often in email) it's because I am concentrating on the body so much that I forget the subject.

2c

If I see a post with the No Subject, I always open that post because I'm getting very curious on what that new thread contains...

We found a way to locate the wayward threads. Josh is correcting all of the threads that have missing subjects. That doesn't fix the problem but it masks the symptoms quite well.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jim

Parallax IT Dept.

+ Reply to Thread