Published on 09-16-2014 02:44 PM
It's the Thurber Feeder 5000 - A custom built, home CNC'd / 3D printed robotic dog feeder.
Our dog (Thurber) eats so fast he's constantly getting food stuck in his throat and choking. It terrifies my girlfriend, so I built a thing to deliver his usual amount of food at a trickling pace, forcing him to slow down. It's been so effective, he actually eats slower even when we *don't* use it, which was an unanticipated (but very welcome) side effect.
- Parallax Propeller microcontroller to run the priming / feeding cycles
- CNC'd polycarbonate enclosure (home built CNC machine)
- 3D printed part interfaces between the pulley and the chocolate fountain auger
- 44 oz-in stepper, with a 6:1 belt reduction
- LED's - GLOWING, PULSING, LED's!
- Feeding and priming cycles can be interrupted or restarted, all with a 1-button interface
- Also, it actually does feed the dog