Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Wow, the C3 is AWESOME..... but .... — Parallax Forums

Wow, the C3 is AWESOME..... but ....

Ahle2Ahle2 Posts: 1,178
edited 2011-01-23 10:33 in Propeller 1
But whyyyyyyy is the audio cut off frequency so DAMN low ? :innocent:
(The same goes for the demo board and the El Jugador as well)

If the R and C values are correct in the C3 manual, it gives:
f3db = 1 / (2 * pi * 1k * 0.1uF) = 1591 Hz

I tried to run a new audio driver (I'm currently working on) at a sample rate of ~80kHz and it sounded very muffled and Lo-fi. On my modified "El Jugador", which now has got a cut off frequency of ~20kHz, it sounds MARVELOUS. :smile:

I DO understand that audio drivers with low mixing frequencies (like 22kHz or lower) produces a lot of audible aliasing distortion and probably sounds better with a cut off frequency lower than 20kHz. But C'MON 1.5kHz ????

Of course, I'm going to modify my C3 to sound better, but to be honest it should sound better from factory.

Lastly, I just want to thank Andr

Comments

• Oldbitcollector (Jeff)Oldbitcollector (Jeff) Posts: 8,091
    edited 2011-01-22 09:29
    @Ahle2

I think there is a minor revision in the works, perhaps this could be brought to Parallax's attention.

Either way, please post your mod.

OBC
  • AndreLAndreL Posts: 1,004
    edited 2011-01-22 15:51
    We used that values on the HYDRA I think, so that's why I picked them, just so things would sound the same. But, on the next revision of people want me to bump the resistor a bit, that's obviously easy. However, you are going to make one group happy or another group, and one sad :) So, since 99% of all the initial games used the hydra and that has a .1 and 1K for that RC filter, I stuck with that. But, try changing the resistor and see if you can find something that works good for EVERYTHING and email the value and I will switch it next rev. Just make sure all the games sound good, etc.

Andre'
  • Ahle2Ahle2 Posts: 1,178
    edited 2011-01-23 06:50
    @OBC
    I will post information on the mod soon.

@Andr
  • Oldbitcollector (Jeff)Oldbitcollector (Jeff) Posts: 8,091
    edited 2011-01-23 10:33
    Wow..

Yeah, that's a big deal..

I'll be looking for your mods.

OBC