Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
My First PCB — Parallax Forums

My First PCB

SXleeSXlee Posts: 47
edited 2010-12-16 05:49 in General Discussion
Hi all,
I'm designing a board for my SX28, with a 4Mhz resonator and they are surface mounted, I'd like to get some feedback

R1 = 0 ohms

The blue:
1: is a jumper
2: is a resistor, I don't know if it's necessary
3: is the resonator.
1.JPG 89.9K

Comments

• TCTC Posts: 1,019
    edited 2010-12-14 17:46
    from my understanding, you have to remove the resonator to program the SX.
  • Martin HodgeMartin Hodge Posts: 1,246
    edited 2010-12-14 18:58
    TC wrote: »

Resonators and crystals can remain in while programming. TTL oscillators must be removed.
  • SXleeSXlee Posts: 47
    edited 2010-12-15 10:28
    TC, Martin Hodge
    Thank you for the reply's

It's my understanding, that it's necessary to remove the resonator only for debugging.

SXlee
  • LoopyBytelooseLoopyByteloose Posts: 12,537
    edited 2010-12-16 00:24
    I took a look at your board and one suggestion comes to mind - consider relocating the SX-Key port to an edge of the board.

My first SX board had the SX-Key set up somewhat similar to yours and the SX-Key had to stand on end. It really wants to lie flat. So it is better to position it somewhere near an edge and to install a 90* 4 pin header. You will cut down the risk of damage to the SX-Key and the board.

Another alternative is to set up a flexible cable from the SX-Key to the board if you just can't or don't want to change it.
    edited 2010-12-16 03:14
    SX-Key had to stand on end. It really wants to lie flat. So it is better to position it somewhere near an edge and to install a 90* 4 pin header. You will cut down the risk of damage to the SX-Key and the board.

Thanks for the reply and the suggestion Loopy,
    I can turn the header 90* and move the reset, and add a 90* 4 pin header, (Good idea!).
    I've changed the board 3 or 4 times now, and I guess I'll change it one or two moor.

Would you please look at my schematic.

SXlee
  • LeonLeon Posts: 7,620
    edited 2010-12-16 03:36
    Why are there all those funny angled tracks? They should be mitred right angles.
    edited 2010-12-16 04:18
    Leon wrote: »
    Why are there all those funny angled tracks? They should be mitred right angles.

Hi Leon,

1: I didn't draw a schematic before designing the PC board BIG MISTAKE!
    2: Some start points are not at right angles with end points.
    3: I read that tracks should be at the les of a angle as possible, two 45s is better than one 90, so on.
    4: I thought it look nice.
    5: I'm new at this.

Hmm
    that's the best I can come up with, sorry!.

SXlee
  • LeonLeon Posts: 7,620
    edited 2010-12-16 04:34
    They should also be parallel to each other.
  • LoopyBytelooseLoopyByteloose Posts: 12,537
    edited 2010-12-16 04:37
    I started out in Eagle with my first board not having a schematic. It was certainly the easiest way to get started.
    But if you do the schematic it serves two purposes - [1] a better build and [2] you can post it on the Forum if you have any trouble.

Of course there is a third fact.....
    [3] You don't have to start from scratch every time you design. You can rename the file and revise the schematic to generate a different board.
    edited 2010-12-16 05:49
    I'm learning.:smile:
    Leon wrote: »
    They should also be parallel to each other.
    Y?

Loopy
    I made a schematic in ExpressSCH and post it on the Forum here.

With the PCB and SX28, is it OK to run the Vss track under the SX (Vss pin 14 to Vss pin 1)