Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Futurlec - are they for real? — Parallax Forums

Futurlec - are they for real?

w4fejw4fej Posts: 264
edited 2010-09-24 09:21 in General Discussion
Anyone care to comment on their experience (if any) with Futurlec? I just looked through their web site and can't believe the prices they state. Things like the 74HC595 mini board for $4.90! I can't buy all the parts for that to build it up.

Are they for real or is their stuff too good to be true??

Mike B.

Comments

• Ron CzapalaRon Czapala Posts: 2,418
    edited 2010-09-10 11:44
    I only ordered from them once.
    Their prices are really great but it takes a while to get your order.
    I think it was almost 2 weeks.
    They have a nice DS1307 real time clock board...
  • w4fejw4fej Posts: 264
    edited 2010-09-10 11:53
    Ron: Yea, I saw that. I looked at the '585, '165, SD card, RS232/3.3v and the 1307 all for just over $30!! I can't get all the parts, especially the interconnecting stuff for that, plus they all make a neat stack!

Two weeks? I can handle that..lol :jumpin:

Mike B.
  • txmarshtxmarsh Posts: 58
    edited 2010-09-10 12:01
    I've ordered from them a few times... never any problems.
    Tim
  • sylvie369sylvie369 Posts: 1,622
    edited 2010-09-10 12:13
    I ordered from them as well, exactly once, and while it took a while to arrive, the stuff I got was pretty decent, and definitely a bargain.
  • sam_sam_samsam_sam_sam Posts: 2,286
    edited 2010-09-10 12:35
    I have order a few time from them It dose take any where from two to three week for you to get your order

When you set up your account and need to change the info on it the link in there web site has not work for about two year

If you need the link I can give it to you :)

I have ordered there 5 volt switching regulating boards they are very nice boards for only $6.90

ET-MINI_POWER_SUPPLY.jpg
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,244
    edited 2010-09-10 12:42
    All true, just give 'em time for shipping from Futurlec. About the last place to find the elusive LM3909 chip at a decent price.

http://www.junun.org/MarkIII/Store.jsp is another favorite of mine for parts & sensors. And in similar fashion, sometimes it takes a LONG time to receive your order, even though they are in Portland.
  • TubularTubular Posts: 4,620
    edited 2010-09-10 13:32
    I've ordered several times. Never had a problem. They have some very useful and cheap SMT converter boards http://www.futurlec.com/SMD_Adapters.shtml which I always keep a few on hand and replenish with each order

They have a cost effective PCB service attached with low cost NRE setup. I haven't tried that just yet

They seem to be related to Et-team which is also worth checking out. While the site is in Thai, its easy to navigate and glean what their modules do. Here's their prop board for US$46 with a couple of nice extras (switching reg PSU, rs232, audio socket). http://www.futurlec.com/P8X32_Controller.shtml

The other Thai site, taydaelectronics with its excellent pricing, makes me think Thailand must have quite an electronics scene

cheers
    tubular
    edited 2010-09-10 17:23
    tubular

The other Thai site, tadyaelectronics with its excellent pricing, makes me think Thailand must have quite an electronics scene

Could You Post the link to the site you are talking about
  • pacmanpacman Posts: 327
    edited 2010-09-10 17:28
    Tubular wrote: »

The other Thai site, tadyaelectronics with its excellent pricing, makes me think Thailand must have quite an electronics scene

cheers
    tubular

Got a link for those tadayaelctronics guys? all my searches have turned up a blank.

(I have used futurlec in the past -and I agree about them being slow - good gear for the $ though)

TIA
  • RobotWorkshopRobotWorkshop Posts: 2,307
    edited 2010-09-10 17:48
    pacman wrote: »
    Got a link for theses guys? all my searches have turned up a blank.

TIA

Have you tried:

http://www.futurlec.com/
  • Dr_AculaDr_Acula Posts: 5,484
    edited 2010-09-10 18:19
    I started using futurlec about 3 years ago - now I buy about 95% of my parts from them. They have had my credit card number all that time with no problems. The search can miss a few things - if you have a moment, browse through all the categories as there are some real gems in there. eg on I just found - looking for A to D converters, in the Integrated Circuits/A-D converters are a lot of National ones, but in the Special Function section are a huge number of Maxim and TI converters.
  • Invent-O-DocInvent-O-Doc Posts: 768
    edited 2010-09-10 20:09
    I order from futurlec. They take time to ship and sometimes will hold up an order for a month for one part not in stock yet. They do deliver on what they promise, though.
    edited 2010-09-11 02:26
    My bad.. I spelt it wrong. Sorry about that. Erco or Holly put me onto Tayda. Here's the link

http://www.taydaelectronics.com/servlet/StoreFront

while we're at it
    edited 2010-09-11 09:27
    "My bad.. I spelt it wrong."

Lol... "spelt" :lol:

Mike B.
  • mparkmpark Posts: 1,305
    edited 2010-09-11 15:18
    w4fej wrote: »
    "My bad.. I spelt it wrong."

Lol... "spelt" :lol:

Mike B.

Per Merriam-Webster, the definition of spelt:
    chiefly British past and past participle of spell

Hardly lol-worthy.
  • DavidMDavidM Posts: 626
    edited 2010-09-11 16:33
    Hi,

I use to order from Futurlec but not any more!

I once ordered some NAT SEMI Regulators LM2595T-5.0, I received COUNTERFEIT Regulators, I made them replace my order with the correct ones, they did but it took over 4 weeks! They are slow to reply

I will NEVER order from them again

1) There is NO PHONE Number, to contact them on.
    2) They take a long time to deliver.
    3) They are NOT Authorised distributors of the MAJOR brands.
    4) Who knows where they buy there components from? Surplus, rebranded, counterfeit "SHOP FRONT" for stolen items.

NEVER GIVE THEM YOUR CREDIT CARD INFO!, They ask me for this via E-MAIL!

try googling "futurlec scam" , have a read and then make up your mind!

Maybe you can buy connectors etc from them, but if you are in Australia, Just give RS-Components a call, get them to QUOTE on your items, Lately they have offered far cheaper prices then even Digikey or mouser.

The PCB demo boards are not made by them, they just distribute for TTL.

I Mainly order from...

RS-COMPONENTS
    MOUSER
    DIGIKEY
    FARNELL
    RT Nollet for prop chips

there are also

ALTRONICS
    JAYCAR
    ELECTUS

Arrow
    Avnet
    Breamac

It all depends on who has what at the time, I am doing production quantities of 25 units (pcb's) at a time. I need components that are genuine, and that companies have some kind of QA/RMA system.

regards

Dave M
  • edited 2010-09-11 20:48
    I ordered some resistors and some LEDs from them. I got what I ordered. I haven't had any problems with my credit card through using them.
    edited 2010-09-11 21:06
    Dr_Acula wrote: »
    I started using futurlec about 3 years ago - now I buy about 95% of my parts from them. The search can miss a few things - if you have a moment, browse through all the categories as there are some real gems in there. eg on I just found - looking for A to D converters, in the Integrated Circuits/A-D converters are a lot of National ones, but in the Special Function section are a huge number of Maxim and TI converters.

Thanks Drac, I had no idea they had those parts tucked away there. Do they really have them in stock? I get suspicious of sites that claim everything is all in stock, all the time...
    edited 2010-09-12 04:56
    Tubular

Do they really have them in stock?

No they do not always have every thing in stock if you do not see your order in three week send them an Email asking where is my order then they will tell you that something in your order was out of stock

Also some time you have to resend the same email a few time to get a response

This is one thing that is real bad about them is there Customer Service
    is very bad this also why I only pay by Paypal when I order from them
    edited 2010-09-12 06:59
    Hmmmm.. Well I think I have heard enough to shy away from them. I'm an instant gratification kind of person and waiting 3-4 weeks for parts won't do. I get stuff from Parallax and DigiKey in 2 days max!

I have most of the parts I need with the exception of some 20 pin, rectangular IDC wire wrap connectors which I can get at Jameco or the like.

I was kinda intrigued by Futurlecs Mini Boards because of the "standard" foot print they all had but I'll make do with the wirewrap method.

Thanks to all who responded.

Mike B.
  • vettezr1vettezr1 Posts: 77
    edited 2010-09-13 12:07
    All the stuff I order shows up on time I think they are great
  • Ray0665Ray0665 Posts: 231
    edited 2010-09-17 14:29
    These are the guys I ordered my HM-TR 433mhz transceivers ttl modules from. The order arrived in about two weeks with no problems.
  • Dr_AculaDr_Acula Posts: 5,484
    edited 2010-09-23 19:28
    I ordered some parts on the 11th and they arrived today. An mix of unusual chips eg A to D converters, display drivers and watchdog timers. All arrived as ordered which suggests they do keep chips in stock.
  • LoopyBytelooseLoopyByteloose Posts: 12,537
    edited 2010-09-24 09:21
    Futurlec is good of some hard to get chips, though at least one person claims they are selling fakes.

Shipping is usually slow as parts come from different places (They make boards in China, have stock in Thailand and maybe Australia).

Prices are good and the fact that one can get an odd ball chip from them that nobody else seems to sell in small quantity are their appeal.