Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Multi-laser speeds computers. A new laser that will allow light to be used on a — Parallax Forums

Multi-laser speeds computers. A new laser that will allow light to be used on a

Bob Lawrence (VE1RLL)Bob Lawrence (VE1RLL) Posts: 1,720
edited 2010-08-30 06:00 in General Discussion
The ultra-small revolution has begun with the invention of a new laser that will allow light to be used on a computer chip. Assoc. Professor David Moss, a senior researcher at the University of Sydney, leads an international team which has developed a multiple wavelength laser on a silicon chip that produces light to process and transmit information, and in doing so will speed up computing.

"The on-chip light source will be key to enabling the simultaneous transmission of multiple data channels either on-chip or between chips in a single optical fibre, each at a different wavelength," says Moss, adding that this technology will ultimately provide the consumer with cheaper and faster computers.

Complete Article:
www.sciencealert.com.au/news/20102201-20527.html

Looks like Prop 2 is a dinosaur already but Prop 3 should interesting. lol.gif

Comments

• HollyMinkowskiHollyMinkowski Posts: 1,398
    edited 2010-01-22 20:57
    Nice.

The future is 3 dimensional processors with internal optical data handling, cooled by pumping
    fluid through a network of pores....only a 2 wire connection for power and
    an optical port for connection to the outside.

The age of single layer silicon processors with wired data handling will soon end...good riddance! Just too many danged wires smile.gif
  • Lab RatLab Rat Posts: 289
    edited 2010-08-29 16:02
    Nice.

The future is 3 dimensional processors with internal optical data handling, cooled by pumping
    fluid through a network of pores....only a 2 wire connection for power and
    an optical port for connection to the outside.

The age of single layer silicon processors with wired data handling will soon end...good riddance! Just too many danged wires smile.gif

as if i wasnt already far enough behind in technology now i will have to figure out how to communicate with new processors and i am just starting to learn to interface with an intel 8080
  • Clock LoopClock Loop Posts: 2,069
    edited 2010-08-30 03:55
    Bah, they've been talking about this for years.

" PHOTONICS " a.k.a the Photonic Crystal

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photonic_crystal

This technology won't be available to the average person for 20+ years.
    The government and military will get dibs. (if they haven't already)
  • LoopyBytelooseLoopyByteloose Posts: 12,537
    edited 2010-08-30 06:00
    I have a Quad computer on my desk with Nvidia video. The truth is that I am not sure I could handle more of anything - storage, speed, and so forth - except for ADSL bandwidth. (And that seems to fall apart when I try going outside of Taiwan, something in the international portal that bottlenecks.)

I find I need to only go so fast while using a work station. As it is, the computer's CPU rarely gets past 15% use, RAM use is no where near the 4Gbytes capacity, and I no only can't fill the 200Gbytes of storage - I'd prefer not to have to do 200Gbyte image backups.

Sure, there will always be a leading edge for governments and research, but desktops seem near capacity (or way over capacity). Just running the machines in Ubuntu Linux revives old hardware to speedy little machines as M$ indeed has bloat.

Besides, those fast machines are optimal 'code breakers' and if they get into public use, we all have social problems. Already some Russian hackers found that NVidia video cards are superb at hacking passwords and have created software to do so.

Americans have always had a love affair with speed and being faster. The only problem is that it seems that nobody really knows the direction or destination. I now see that Asians see far more opportunity in following along that pushing boundaries. I suppose each point of view has its merits, but I grow weary of keeping up with technological change for its own sake.