Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
How do PropScope and the old Parallax USB Oscilloscope compare? — Parallax Forums

How do PropScope and the old Parallax USB Oscilloscope compare?

jaycee2ujaycee2u Posts: 6
edited 2010-05-26 21:13 in Accessories
I notice this weekend the old Parallax USB Oscilloscope is on sale.· I read somewhere on the internet that a version of software for the Parallax USB Oscilloscope does not have uninstall capability.· Is that true on either version 4.x or 5.x?· Would I better off purchasing the PropScope?· My initial purpose of a scope right now is for experimenting.

Comments

• turbosupraturbosupra Posts: 1,088
    edited 2010-05-26 03:07
    I'm pretty sure that internet rumor is false, I just went to my add/remove and here is a screen capture of the software which I still have installed for my old usb scope.

If would recommend you get the propscope, the software interface is what makes the propscope more desirable in my opinion. I have kept my old usb scope just as a comparator, but the propscope interface is awesome. The software for the old scope is no good in my opinion.

oldusboscope1.jpg

jaycee2u said...
    I notice this weekend the old Parallax USB Oscilloscope is on sale. I read somewhere on the internet that a version of software for the Parallax USB Oscilloscope does not have uninstall capability. Is that true on either version 4.x or 5.x? Would I better off purchasing the PropScope? My initial purpose of a scope right now is for experimenting.
  • jaycee2ujaycee2u Posts: 6
    edited 2010-05-26 05:08
    Hi turbosupra,

Thank you for the information. I have since obtained a bench scope and Parallax USB Oscilloscope with Understanding Signals. I decided with the Parallax USB Oscilloscope solution simply because it has been around for some time and is compatible with the Understanding Signals book. I use the Parallax USB Scope and Understanding Signals manual as a benchmark to compare results with my bench scope. So far, I would highly recommend the Parallax USB Oscilloscope with Understanding Signals as a tool to become more familiar with a scope. I would have gone with the PropScope if a revised Understanding Signals book for PropScope was available. I'm confident that the PropScope is a high-quality product consistent with other Parallax products, and I expect to get my hands on one during the upcoming convention in June.
  • Steph LindsaySteph Lindsay Posts: 767
    edited 2010-05-26 16:07
    jaycee2u said...
    Hi turbosupra,

Thank you for the information. I have since obtained a bench scope and Parallax USB Oscilloscope with Understanding Signals. I decided with the Parallax USB Oscilloscope solution simply because it has been around for some time and is compatible with the Understanding Signals book. I use the Parallax USB Scope and Understanding Signals manual as a benchmark to compare results with my bench scope. So far, I would highly recommend the Parallax USB Oscilloscope with Understanding Signals as a tool to become more familiar with a scope. I would have gone with the PropScope if a revised Understanding Signals book for PropScope was available. I'm confident that the PropScope is a high-quality product consistent with other Parallax products, and I expect to get my hands on one during the upcoming convention in June.
    Hello Jaycee2u,

I'm glad you found the original·"Understanding Signals" book to be useful to you!·

I·just wanted to let you know we are working on the book "Understanding Signals with the PropScope"·right now.·The first draft is written, and·although it follows a similar outline as the original, it is pretty much a complete rewrite though I'm sure some of the BASIC Stamp programs will be familiar. It will·be a much thicker book than the current "Understanding Signals" because the PropScope has a much larger set of functions and features.···The book will be available printed, and also as a·free·PDF download.

Thanks much,
    -Steph
  • turbosupraturbosupra Posts: 1,088
    edited 2010-05-26 16:16
    No problem Jaycee, sometimes it's hard to get a response in here so this was something I at least had experience with and could respond to.

@ Steph ... thank goodness, there really needs to be some comprehensive information on the pscope! I can't wait to read that.

Steph Lindsay (Parallax) said...
    jaycee2u said...

Hi turbosupra,

Hello Jaycee2u,

I'm glad you found the original "Understanding Signals" book to be useful to you!

I just wanted to let you know we are working on the book "Understanding Signals with the PropScope" right now. The first draft is written, and although it follows a similar outline as the original, it is pretty much a complete rewrite though I'm sure some of the BASIC Stamp programs will be familiar. It will be a much thicker book than the current "Understanding Signals" because the PropScope has a much larger set of functions and features. The book will be available printed, and also as a free PDF download.

Thanks much,

-Steph
  • Q*bertQ*bert Posts: 59
    edited 2010-05-26 19:14
    Steph,

Any idea when we might see the new book?
  • Steph LindsaySteph Lindsay Posts: 767
    edited 2010-05-26 21:13
    I wish I could give a solid release date, but it is too early for that and I hate to be wrong and dissapoint!

Right now Hanno is making some final adjustments to the software based on the feedback generated while writing/reviewing (he's been awesome about that, thank you Hanno!)

Once that's set, Andy will reconcile the text against the changes and then retake screencaptures as necessary - it's about 350 pages with a lots and lots of screencaptures, so this will take a while. Then it is my turn for formatting, editing, proof review, and printing. I think the best case scenario would be the end of summer.

I can release the PDF as soon as it is ready for the print shop, so those who already have PropScopes don't have to wait any longer than necessary! The individual components in the hardware kit that will go with the book are easy to find or to order online from parallax.com. The parts list will be in the book.

-Steph