Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Prop Tools under Development or Completed (Index) - Page 2 — Parallax Forums

Prop Tools under Development or Completed (Index)

2»

Comments

• BeanBean Posts: 8,129
    edited 2009-10-20 11:28
    PropBASIC Compiler

The PropBASIC compiler will compile BASIC code into Propeller assembly language (PASM).

The compiler is based on the SX/B compiler that was written for the SX processor.

The compiler does a "compile in place". In other words each line is translated directly into PASM code. This results in very fast code.

PropBASIC is still in development, but some example programs are posted in this thread http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=835500·comments are welcomed.

Parallax is interested, and it is my hope that PropBASIC can be built-in (or become a plug-in) to the propeller IDE software. Much like SX/B is with the SX-Key IDE software.

Future versions are planned to use LMM (Large memory model) mode on the propeller, which will allow much larger programs than the current 492 instructions per cog limit will allow.

Bean.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Does that byte of memory hold "A", 65, $41 or %01000001 ?
    Yes it does...

·
  • Cluso99Cluso99 Posts: 18,066
    edited 2009-10-20 12:20
    ZiCog - an Z80/8080 emulator (by heater)
    • runs CPM2.2, CPM3·(programs, development tools and languages)

http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=788511

heater: can you please post something to this thread and then I will delete this post. Although not strictly a development tool, it enables a lot of development tools under CPM.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Links to other interesting threads:

· Home of the MultiBladeProps: TriBlade,·RamBlade,·SixBlade, website
    · Single Board Computer:·3 Propeller ICs·and a·TriBladeProp board (ZiCog Z80 Emulator)
    · Prop Tools under Development or Completed (Index)
    · Emulators: CPUs Z80 etc; Micros Altair etc;· Terminals·VT100 etc; (Index) ZiCog (Z80) , MoCog (6809)
    · Search the Propeller forums·(uses advanced Google search)
    My cruising website is: ·www.bluemagic.biz·· MultiBladeProp is: www.bluemagic.biz/cluso.htm
  • Bill HenningBill Henning Posts: 6,445
    edited 2009-10-20 16:25
    LAS

Large Model Assembler for the Propeller, by the guy who came up with LMM in the first place [noparse]:)[/noparse]

v0.10 of LAS is available at http://Mikronauts.com/downloads/

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Please use mikronauts _at_ gmail _dot_ com to contact me off-forum, my PM is almost totally full
    Morpheus & Mem+dual Prop SBC w/ 512KB kit $119.95, 2MB memory IO board kit $89.95, both kits $189.95
    www.mikronauts.com - my site 6.250MHz custom Crystals for running Propellers at 100MHz
    Las - Large model assembler for the Propeller Largos - a feature full nano operating system for the Propeller

Post Edited (Bill Henning) : 10/20/2009 4:38:13 PM GMT
    edited 2009-10-20 16:28
    PropellerBasic

A Basic compiler for the Propeller.

Parallax is interested in this compiler as well, and it may become part of the Propeller IDE in the future.

I will be releasing demo's in the future, but not before it reaches a level of functionality and correctness that I am happy with.

I expect to release demo's before the end of this year.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Please use mikronauts _at_ gmail _dot_ com to contact me off-forum, my PM is almost totally full
    Morpheus & Mem+dual Prop SBC w/ 512KB kit $119.95, 2MB memory IO board kit $89.95, both kits $189.95
    www.mikronauts.com - my site 6.250MHz custom Crystals for running Propellers at 100MHz
    Las - Large model assembler for the Propeller Largos - a feature full nano operating system for the Propeller

Post Edited (Bill Henning) : 10/20/2009 4:38:29 PM GMT
    edited 2009-10-20 16:33
    LARGOS

A Unix-like operating system for the Propeller.

I demonstrated the shell and some utilities at UPEW 2009 to a few people including Ken & Chip smile.gif

Current internal test version uses 10k of HUB memory, target is no more than 8k of HUB used, including generic 2k buffer.

As LARGOS provides dynamic loading of device drivers, it actually allows for larger Spin programs than stand-alone Spin programs.

LARGOS has an advanced file system for NOR Flash devices, and includes automatic wear leveling, full sub directory support, deterministic timing, and much more - with a far smaller footprint than FAT.

I will be porting my file system to SD/SDHC cards in the future.

Not currently available, expected to be available sometime in 2010.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Post Edited (Bill Henning) : 10/20/2009 4:40:11 PM GMT
  • Bob AndersonBob Anderson Posts: 122
    edited 2009-12-21 23:30
    Event Driven Logic State Analyzer -- an add-on for ViewPort

This add-on only works properly with version 4.2.5 of ViewPort (see www.HannoWare.com).

This program is particularly useful during the development of SPI and I2C drivers for the Propeller Chip. It provides a stable display that makes it easy for precise measurements to be taken.

One of the minor miracles of the Propeller chip is that all 8 cogs can "see" the state of all 32 I/O pins at the same time and can read and modify locations in Hub memory at any time. This makes it possible to "self-test" during development on a Propeller by using one or more cogs to "watch" what's going on in Hub memory with variables and read the state of I/O pins. This is the approach that ViewPort takes. In order to see/modify variables, one cog is loaded with a program (Conduit.spin) that streams at up to 2 Mbps the value of selected variables to the ViewPort GUI. Conduit.spin provides a bi-directional link that allows variable values to be changed while the program-under-test is running. It also provides a mechanism for the setting of breakpoints and single stepping through a SPIN program.

ViewPort has a second program (QuickSample.spin) that can be loaded into a cog (or optionally 4 cogs). This program continually samples all 32 I/O pins at a fixed rate and streams their values back to the ViewPort GUI where a logic state analyzer (LSA) displays the results. QuickSample can be configured from the ViewPort GUI to take samples at a rate as fast as one sample every 4 instruction times, which is every 200 ns when the Propeller is running at 80 Mhz. 356 samples are taken in a burst, then streamed to the GUI for display.

The Event Logger program is an add-on that communicates with ViewPort via the DDE (Dynamic Data Exchange) protocol and provides an event oriented (i.e., edge transitions) LSA as opposed to the sampling LSA that ViewPort includes. The EventLogger.spin program is loaded into a cog (either instead of QuickSample or in addition to). After a specified trigger condition is satisfied, this cog records the time (via the CNT register) of changes of state on a specified set of I/O pins. Up to 99 events will be recorded and then sent via Conduit.spin running in the Propeller chip to ViewPort and on to the Event Logger Client.exe where a GUI displays the results in a plot that can be zoomed, scrolled, measured, printed, etc.

An event driven LSA is better able to deal with "bursty" data where some events of interest take a relatively long period of time, but are then followed by much faster events. On a sampling LSA, the sample rate would have to be set low enough to allow the long events to be seen, but then there would be insufficient resolution to see the fast events accurately. Sometimes ways can be found to work around this conflict, but an event driven LSA is easier to use in such a case.· Attached are two images showing this in action.

I also attached the manual (it's a .chm file, so you have to tell Windows it's safe to open else it won't show the contents).

Link to Object Exchange... Event Driven Logic State Analyzer for ViewPort

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    edited 2010-04-03 14:53
    BlackCat: A source code debugger for Catalina C

BlackCat is a Windows based source code debugger for use with Catalina C 2.4 and above (available here) and is particulary easy to use with ViewPort 4.3.2 and above (available here).·

FYI: ViewPort now includes a nice·C code editor and automatically·calls Catalina and BlackCat as required, making it an effective·IDE for C programmers.· Code::Blocks can also be used as an IDE.

BlackCat·allows you to step through your code in a variety of ways, place breakpoints, examine and modify variables while at a breakpoint, trace calling path, etc, and supports XMM LARGE and XMM SMALL as well as LMM on a variety of commonly available hardware platforms such as MORPHEUS, TRIBLADEPROP, HYDRA, HYBRID, DEMO, etc.

If you haven't installed Catalina C 2.4 yet, I have included a demo that was compiled using Catalina 2.4 (I used ViewPort 4.3.2 as the IDE)·that you can use right now to get a little "stick time" on BlackCat.

Unfortunately, though we tried hard, BlackCat will not run under Linux.· To serve that community, as well as those that prefer to use command line utilities, there is a command line version of BlackCat (called BlackBox) that Ross Higson built and·has been·released with Catalina 2.4.· It strongly parallels BlackCat, so running BlackCat will give you a good feel for what BlackBox will provide.

The necessary files are available on the Object Exchange (here).· The text below refers to version 1.32.· This is bound to change, but the Obex will always contain the most recent version.

The BlackCat1.32.zip file should be downloaded and the extension changed to zip.· If you already have a Catalina installation, unzip BlackCat1.32.zip into the bin sub-directory found there.· That is where ViewPort will look for it.· If you don't have a Catalina installation, unzip it in any convenient location.

The BlackCatDemo.zip file should also be downloaded·from the·auxilliary files.· Unzip this in any convenient location, including its sub-directories.

To run the demo, you will need a serial connection to a propeller chip.

In the BlackCatDemo directory, navigate to bin/Debug.· There you should find three files named DemoProject with .binary, .dbg, and .lst extensions.· Use the Propeller Tool to load DemoProject.binary to your propeller.

Go to wherever you unzipped BlackCat1.32 and open blackcat.exe.

On the Propeller Communications panel that opens up, select 115200 baud.· Then click the COM port drop down box.· It will be populated with available serial ports.· Select the one that is connected to the propeller.· Then click Open.· You can close this dialog now.· All settings are "sticky", and if you had been using ViewPort, all this would have been done for you.

On the BlackCat panel, click the menu item Open dbg file.· Navigate to DemoProject.dbg and select it.· You should be debugging now!· Use the Help menu item to bring up on-line help.· The on-line help is a manual organized around the kind of questions a new user will have.

Have fun.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Post Edited (Bob Anderson) : 4/4/2010 5:35:47 AM GMT
    edited 2010-04-14 05:26
    Cluso99:

Your links to BlackCat in the index page point to Catalina 2.4 instead of BlackCat.· The BlackCat page has links to Catalina (and to ViewPort).

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
  • Cluso99Cluso99 Posts: 18,066
    edited 2010-04-14 08:12
    Fixed Bob - thanks smile.gif

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Links to other interesting threads:

· Home of the MultiBladeProps: TriBlade,·RamBlade,·SixBlade, website
    · Single Board Computer:·3 Propeller ICs·and a·TriBladeProp board (ZiCog Z80 Emulator)
    · Prop Tools under Development or Completed (Index)
    · Emulators: CPUs Z80 etc; Micros Altair etc;· Terminals·VT100 etc; (Index) ZiCog (Z80) , MoCog (6809)·
    · Prop OS: SphinxOS·, PropDos , PropCmd··· Search the Propeller forums·(uses advanced Google search)
    My cruising website is: ·www.bluemagic.biz·· MultiBlade Props: www.cluso.bluemagic.biz