Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Force new topics to have a subject line — Parallax Forums

Force new topics to have a subject line

PJMontyPJMonty Posts: 983
edited 2009-10-23 15:36 in General Discussion
To help the willfully clueless who seem unable to grasp the concept of a subject line, how about having the forum refuse to accept a new forum topic unless it has a subject line? This will prevent moderators from having to tell people to "use the pencil icon", which only further confuses the already confused.

Thanks,
PeterM

Comments

• Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2009-10-08 22:57
    Peter,

That has been a wish for a long time. The current software does not support this feature, however we are looking into this. Take care.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage

Parallax Engineering
    50 72 6F 6A 65 63 74 20 53 69 74 65
    ·
  • Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2009-10-08 23:01
    Peter,

This has been suggested. I even mentioned once that, if it couldn't be forced, the default subject line should be changed from, "(No subject)" to, "The poster didn't care enough to include a subject, so this thread is probably not worth reading," or somesuch. But the problem, as I understand it, is that the forum software is a bit brittle and that making any small change would be like pulling a loose thread on a sweater.

-Phil
  • SRLMSRLM Posts: 5,045
    edited 2009-10-08 23:06
    Personally, if a subject line couldn't be forced, then I would like a variable subject line where no subject was there for a day or so, then it switched to something like Phil said. Usually when I forget a subject (most often in email) it's because I am concentrating on the body so much that I forget the subject.

2c
  • MoskogMoskog Posts: 554
    edited 2009-10-23 15:26
    If I see a post with the No Subject, I always open that post because I'm getting very curious on what that new thread contains...
  • Jim EwaldJim Ewald Posts: 733
    edited 2009-10-23 15:36
    We found a way to locate the wayward threads. Josh is correcting all of the threads that have missing subjects. That doesn't fix the problem but it masks the symptoms quite well.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jim

Parallax IT Dept.