Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
SMD Component size/package visual ID charts??? — Parallax Forums

SMD Component size/package visual ID charts???

xanatosxanatos Posts: 1,120
edited 2009-09-09 00:55 in General Discussion
In learning DipTrace (slowly...) I see that I need to know the package outline ID code to select the proper component if I want to make a PC board for my circuit.· This is fine for the components I need to buy new - but I have boxes and boxes of SM resistors, caps, diodes, etc., all in different sizes, and no idea what package they are in.· All I know is that probably 1000+ of my resistors are in a big 1210 package (.126 x .1) - but I have several different sizes that sre significantly smaller than that, and caps ranging from relatively huge electrolytics down to chip caps that I can fit 10 across on a single 1210 chip resistor...· I know all the values of these items - just no package IDs, so no idea what to select in DipTrace (or other PCB making software).

I have spent teh past hour looking through links on google for various permutations of "SMD package outline identification chart", and so here I am, finally, asking:· Does anyone have a simple chart - like a PDF - that I can print out, laminate, and just drop the particular component on it and line it up with the appropriate shape/outline???· I could get my digital micrometer out and spend a few weeks in seclusion in my workshop measuring all these things and figuring it out that way - but I believe someone must have made a chart already.· The closest thing I've found so far was on wikipedia (attached) - but it doesn't show the pads, and it doesn't even list the packages I know I have...·

Thanks for the info if any of you have such...

Dave X

Comments

• T ChapT Chap Posts: 4,198
    edited 2009-09-07 17:29
    Honestly I'd throw the whole box of parts away.
  • xanatosxanatos Posts: 1,120
    edited 2009-09-07 17:34
    Well that's helpful! smile.gif Seriously, I have just about every standard value of every capacitor, resistor, diode and transistor made... all nicely sorted by component type and value. The transistors are all SOT/SOT23, but the resistors and caps - I would probably never need to buy any again if I could quickly ID the package...
  • mctriviamctrivia Posts: 3,772
    edited 2009-09-07 17:38
    surface mount components come in many shapes and sizes and just because a package is labeled soic16 does not mean it is the same size as a second soic16 device(there are 3 different sizes of soic16 devices i have found so far)

as for sorting your parts surface mount resisters are cheap chuckem and buy all 0603 sized resisters. there are kits you can buy with every single size available

http://www.analogtechnologies.com/new R-kits DATASHEET_06_25_09.pdf

if you need to sort if you post pics beside a penny i can probably tell you.

i am guessing dip trace has a standard package library. make a pcb with each package and print it off.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    propmod_us and propmod_1x1 are in stock. Only $30. PCB available for $5

Want to make projects and have Gadget Gangster sell them for you? propmod-us_ps_sd and propmod-1x1 are now available for use in your Gadget Gangster Projects.

Need to upload large images or movies for use in the forum. you can do so at uploader.propmodule.com for free.
  • T ChapT Chap Posts: 4,198
    edited 2009-09-07 17:38
    I actually was trying to be helpful!

What wrong with the micrometer or caliper? Get one size established, tape it to the lid of a box and it should be easy to compare the rest. A desktop lighted magnifying glass is a good thing to have for SMT parts.

Trash all loose resistors and caps unless there required as larger pkgs. Use 0603 as stated, order in cut tape 100 at a time per value. Mark the tape with a marker for easy ID.

I know it is hard to part with a box o' parts, but those parts will cost you more in lost time than they will gain you.

Post Edited (Todd Chapman) : 9/7/2009 5:44:14 PM GMT
    edited 2009-09-07 18:11
    @mctrivia: "i am guessing dip trace has a standard package library. make a pcb with each package and print it off." - That's an Excellent idea!

@Todd: Simply can't part with this many parts - they are all in tape, clean and marked. Too good to trash. One of the tape reels has 1000+ SM green LEDs, another 1000+ yellow ones. Two completely different packages. This is just one example. I probably have enough parts to make the next version of the space shuttle's electronics!

That make & print idea may be the perfect solution... Thanks!

Dave
  • TimmooreTimmoore Posts: 1,031
    edited 2009-09-07 19:10
    Sparkfun has a board with different sizes on it http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/product_info.php?products_id=8754 - look at the picture of the back of the board
  • Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2009-09-07 19:28
    Once you start sorting, you'll quickly be able to ID the part size just by looking at it, the same way we can easily tell a 4-40 screw from a 6-32. I say just get started doing it, instead of overanalyzing the process.

-Phil
    edited 2009-09-07 19:45
    @Phil:· Yes, but before I can sort and learn the part size, I must have the reference that tells me what that size IS.

TO THAT END:· mctrivia's suggestion was the perfect, ultimate solution for this process, and to save anyone else the trouble of searching as have I, I have attached two files - the DipTrace original containing all the various package sizes I find that I have in these boxes, and a PDF version of it that also prints properly at 100% (for those who do not use DipTrace).· Now I can reference (and learn to visually ID at a glance) these many different packages I have.· I hope this proves useful ofr some folks in the future!· It sure worked for me!!

Thanks again mctrivia - one of those "Why didn't I think of that" things!· Glad you did!

Dave X
  • mctriviamctrivia Posts: 3,772
    edited 2009-09-07 19:51
    just so you know 0805 is 0805 whether cap, resister, inductor, or led.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    propmod_us and propmod_1x1 are in stock. Only $30. PCB available for $5

Want to make projects and have Gadget Gangster sell them for you? propmod-us_ps_sd and propmod-1x1 are now available for use in your Gadget Gangster Projects.

Need to upload large images or movies for use in the forum. you can do so at uploader.propmodule.com for free.
    edited 2009-09-07 20:03
    Thanks mctrivia. In creating the chart I was comparing stuff side-by-side and wondered about that. The only time it'll be different is when selecting the component in DipTrace - I have to be sure to select the component with the right package associated with it.

Thanks again,

Dave
  • WBA ConsultingWBA Consulting Posts: 2,933
    edited 2009-09-08 05:47
    Another thing to look at is Topline's Dummy component catalog. Some good artwork for parts and if you create a free account, you can download a full line of technical drawings and component clipart.

www.topline.tv/Products.cfm

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Andrew Williams
    WBA Consulting
    WBA-TH1M Sensirion SHT11 Module
    edited 2009-09-09 00:55
    Thanks for that link - could prove interesting. Just d/l'd the clip art thing...

Dave