Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Sensor driven AC @ Staybridge Suites, Rocklin. — Parallax Forums

Sensor driven AC @ Staybridge Suites, Rocklin.

Oldbitcollector (Jeff)Oldbitcollector (Jeff) Posts: 8,091
edited 2009-06-30 13:59 in Accessories
There is a new hotel that many stayed at for the UPEW 2009 conference.

First of all, let me preface this with both the facts that Staybridge
Suites was an excellent choice for hotel, both close to Parallax and
extremely nice in every way. (except below) [noparse]:)[/noparse]
Also, this should be taken as "tongue in cheek" as it is being written
at 12:30AM, after having slept 6 hours, and now am wide awake. [noparse]:)[/noparse]
(So much for my sleep schedule... <SMIRK>)

There appears to be sensor which "regulates" the AC system
when everything is still. Rebekah and I are guessing that the
system is motion activated with a timer delay. The sensor
may be kin to the PIR and appears to be mounted in the
middle of the ceiling.

Additional items planned for the UPEW are as follows:

1 small rotating fan.
1 helium balloon.

My working theory to put tie the balloon somewhere near the sensor,
and point the fan at the balloon. This should prevent the necessity
of having to get up every hour or so to wave at the sensor. [noparse]:)[/noparse]

So with so many posts about how to create and use sensors,
I thought you guys might enjoy a thread about how to defeat one. tongue.gif

Your suggestions? (No, calling the front desk to complain isn't sporting. [noparse]:)[/noparse]

OBC

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
New to the Propeller?

Visit the: The Propeller Pages @ Warranty Void.

Comments

• kwinnkwinn Posts: 8,697
    edited 2009-06-30 05:27
    I sympathize with your situation, but it could be worse. I stay in hotels quite often and am often awakened or kept awake by noisy or malfunctioning HVAC systems. In some places the relay that starts the system sounds like the gong on the gong show, in others the compressors, fans, and heaters make as much noise as having a diesel truck idling in your room. I make it a point to mention problems to the front desk so they are aware of them. They almost always thank me for mentioning it.
  • Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2009-06-30 06:11
    OBC said...
    There appears to be sensor which "regulates" the AC system when everything is still. Rebekah and I are guessing that the system is motion activated with a timer delay. The sensor may be kin to the PIR and appears to be mounted in the middle of the ceiling.
    LOL! I thought I was imagining things. Whenever I entered my room, it was like, "Did that thing just now come on?" The room temp was always, nonetheless, comfortable, despite the stifling heat outdoors.

Seriously, though, the Staybridge Suites was an execellent choice: comfortable, spacious, with a friendly, accommodating staff, and very reasonably priced, considering the amenities. Ken explained that there was a building boom in the area just before the economy went bad, so the competition for hotel occupancy is rather intense just now.

I paid more and got much less at the Medford Super 8 on the drive down from Port Townsend. ('Just boogied on the way back: no overnight stops. 'Wanted to avoid the daytime road crews and Portland weekday traffic, which can be horrific.)

-Phil

Post Edited (Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)) : 6/30/2009 4:16:39 PM GMT
  • Beau SchwabeBeau Schwabe Posts: 6,547
    edited 2009-06-30 13:59
    OBC,

Hmmmm,· While I'm still sitting in my room (here until Thursday) I did not have the same experience.· There doesn't seem to be that kind of switch here in the room I am staying in.· The only oddity that I noticed is a mystery switch right by the door that doesn't seem to turn on anything.· We do however have those kind of lights at Parallax, so the late nighters past our 5:30am departure only to return by 8:30am might have experienced·some arm waiving to negotiate with the lights.

BTW) had a great time and I'm glad you and your wife are home safe

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Beau Schwabe

IC Layout Engineer
    Parallax, Inc.