Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Sensor Request: Bio-sensors — Parallax Forums

Sensor Request: Bio-sensors

Oldbitcollector (Jeff)Oldbitcollector (Jeff) Posts: 8,091
edited 2009-06-06 18:33 in Accessories
@Ken and company:

I'm betting a bunch of us geeks would love to play with bio-sensors.
Any chance that Parallax might carry stuff like this in the future?

Naturally they would have to be sold "for experimentation only",
not to replace your medical doctor.

Nearing 40, I'm starting to pay attention to health and would like
to be able to do some microcontroller hacking here as well.
Oxygen sensors, BP, biometeric, retinal scanner... [noparse]:)[/noparse]

OBC

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
New to the Propeller?

Visit the: The Propeller Pages @ Warranty Void.

Comments

• xanatosxanatos Posts: 1,120
    edited 2009-06-05 15:18
    I'll second this request. I'm getting quite interested in embedded wearable technology, especially technology that serves more of a purpose than simply providing another conduit for playing an iPod... I'd like to be able to nonintrusively monitor pulse, oxygenation, - anything I could through external sensors. I know technology exists currently to do this with some IR and other wavelength reflective/transmissive devices. I have a jacket I would like to have this technology embedded in so that I could program up a system to transmit this data in regular bursts with an existing communications system in the jacket. A high sensitivity, high noise-rejection, small footprint sensor designed to contact the wearer's skin - perhaps on the back of the neck, or wrist, or someplace convenient - would be a must-buy for me.

DX
  • ElectricAyeElectricAye Posts: 4,561
    edited 2009-06-05 15:18
    Oldbitcollector said...

I'm betting a bunch of us geeks would love to play with bio-sensors...

Maybe you're the man. Get busy and provide me with an EEG. I'm tired of people calling me brain dead. I want something I can point to and prove I'm not*.

*after my morning coffee, that is. smile.gif
  • Oldbitcollector (Jeff)Oldbitcollector (Jeff) Posts: 8,091
    edited 2009-06-05 15:59
    xanatos said...
    A high sensitivity, high noise-rejection, small footprint sensor designed to contact the wearer's skin - perhaps on the back of the neck, or wrist, or someplace convenient - would be a must-buy for me.

Bingo.. Exactly what I had in mind..

OBC

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    New to the Propeller?

Visit the: The Propeller Pages @ Warranty Void.
  • Tracy AllenTracy Allen Posts: 6,656
    edited 2009-06-06 18:33
    At the embedded systems conference in April, I was looking for a super low power radio technology for a project we were contemplating at the time, writing for NIH "stimulus" research funds (along with about 50000 other applicants), fat chance. Anyway, I had a long conversation and followup with the ANT telemetry people, who were housed in the Nordic Semi booth. Nordic makes the low power telemetry radios, and ANT developed the protocols, which are used in a lot of sports and medical equipment that has to run for long periods of time, like years, on a 3 volt coin cell, at very low data rates. Think for example of Nike shoes with a stride detector, or a heart monitor linked to the display on an exercise machine. That is nice link for a biosensor, because it avoids cumbersome wires and also a lot of the safety issues. The protocol is super simple, although I imagine each sports equipment _might_ adds on their own level of protocol that could challenge someone here! Interface of the ANT transceiver to a micro like the Stamp or Prop is super-simple.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Tracy Allen
    www.emesystems.com