Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Flexlab Data aqusition board — Parallax Forums

Flexlab Data aqusition board

jfoxjfox Posts: 21
edited 2009-05-29 02:34 in Accessories
·· I bought this on ebay for 22 bucks because it has a 14 bit adc and it has a usb serial port with the ftdi and it has a high speed I2C bus chip plus·From the manuel:
FlexLab provides 3 basic functions:
1. USB Data Acquisition System with programmable structure
2. USB to I2C Interface Converter
3. USB to Serial TTL Interface Converter
Key Features
• Data acquisition system with 6 preprogrammed configurations.
• On-board 26 pin connector for data acquisition system.
• Mini USB connector and Full speed 12 Mbps USB-to-Serial converter.
• Support the dual interface: standard 100Kbps I2C interface and Serial TTL interface.
• The module is a master for I2C bus.
• 5 pin connector for I2C/Serial bus.
• On-board the pull up resisters for I2C bus.
• 2 LEDs to indicate USB traffic.
• The module is self powered from the USB and can supply up to 50mA at 5V for external
circuitry.
• Small form factor (2.1” x 0.9”, 54 x 23 mm).
USB Data Acquisition System with programmable structure
FlexLab can be directly connected to computer USB port as the intelligent peripherals.
FlexLab module includes configurable blocks of analog circuits and digital logic, as well as
programmable interconnect. This architecture allows the user to create customized peripheral
configurations, to match the requirements of each individual application.
Multiple different hardware function sets can be implemented in one single module under
software control. It enables a designer to dynamically change the configurations repeatedly “onthe-

fly” while the device is running

It is based on what they call the flexell chip which is really a cutom programed Cypress Mixed signal Array with on chip controller devices. Ive attached all the data sheets

·Ive been tinkering with a 12bit ltc1298 hooked up to my stamp2p outputing to stamp plot .i bought this thinking of hooking it up to my stamp but now im thinking i might be able to connect directly to stamp plot or excel·directly

any way the thing looks· interesting , so far stamplot· or the stamp terminal dont recognize it·. it has its own terminal but not much suporting docs . Jim

Comments

• CounterRotatingPropsCounterRotatingProps Posts: 1,132
    edited 2009-05-28 16:01
    Jim,

that thing looks useful. At quick glance, I assume the 28 pin ZIF is for the Cypress PSoC? (Those chips are pretty slick ... we need an SX+DSP or a PROP+DSP here, for anyone listening wink.gif

I gather you ebay'd it for the extras and price, but did it also include a 'flexel' / Cypress chip pre-loaded for one of its operation modes?

Digikey's got the CY8C27443 for ~$6, but the programmers (as usual !) run $500 --- well, OK, at least you can by that in QTY 1. :-P

http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Detail&name=428-1495-ND

I'm interested in learning more of what you can do with this little gadget.

cheers,
    Howard

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    No matter how much you push the envelope, it'll still be stationery.
  • jfoxjfox Posts: 21
    edited 2009-05-29 02:34
    Howard
    yes the thing included the flexel chip which is pre programed with 6 functions( see the flexlab download ):
    Description
    16 channels RC servo control
    Data Acquisition System: 4 analog channels with programmable
    gain amplifier, 14 bit ADC, two 9 bit analog outputs, 8 digital
    inputs/outputs
    Character LCD and 4x4 matrix Keypad control
    LED 7-Segment Display and Keypad control (supports Single-Digit,
    Dual-Digit, Triple-Digit, Quad-Digit Displays and 4x4 Keypad)
    Up to 4 DC motor control ( includes four 8 bit PWM blocks), 16
    digital inputs/outputs
    Stepper motor control,
    16 digital inputs/outputs
    it says these can be changed on the fly. the ebay seller is the web4robot.com operator I emailed the website support with some questions and got no response so not alot of support available ive been to busy to do any thing but look at the data sheets a few times but i hope to. the board i have also has the usb serial port.The minilab version is 11 bucks and has
    I2C slave interface
    • Serial TTL interface
    • Serial TTL inverted interface (connection to BASIC STAMP)
    the chip is available for 8.99 any way if I make any progress on this ill report