Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
ping sensor not working? — Parallax Forums

ping sensor not working?

thebucketmousethebucketmouse Posts: 20
edited 2009-05-19 17:46 in Accessories
So I just bought my PING sensor, and I load the example program from Parallax to display distance in terms of cm and inches. It works fine up to 16cm/6 inches, but for any distance further than that it just reads 16cm/6 inches.... has anyone else had this problem??

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2009-05-12 14:38
    1) Make sure there's nothing 6 inches away that can cause an echo. The PING responds to the first echo it receives

2) Make sure you've entered the sample program correctly

3) You are using a BS2, not some other Stamp model? Some other Stamps have different statement timings and the sample programs have to be changed

If all else fails, call Parallax Tech Support
  • GeorgeLGeorgeL Posts: 131
    edited 2009-05-19 06:03
    Also check your wiring, you may have put in a different PIN.
  • dandreaedandreae Posts: 1,375
    edited 2009-05-19 13:54
    thebucketmouse said...
    So I just bought my PING sensor, and I load the example program from Parallax to display distance in terms of cm and inches. It works fine up to 16cm/6 inches, but for any distance further than that it just reads 16cm/6 inches.... has anyone else had this problem??
    Go ahead and send me an e-mail at dandreae@parallax.com and we will see what we can do to fix this.

Dave

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Dave Andreae

Parallax Tech Support·
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2009-05-19 17:46
    Actually my first question would be, "Is the unit mounted to anything?" Do you have screws attaching the PING))) Module to a bracket or other object? If so, try removing these screws and see if the issue persists. I have seen where someone has mounted the PING))) in such a manner as to short out a trace on the board causing this behavior.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Engineering