Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
GPS Receivers? — Parallax Forums

GPS Receivers?

Dan TaylorDan Taylor Posts: 207
edited 2009-05-19 06:00 in Accessories
Hi All,
··· Was just looking at the GPS Receiver Module and the PMB-248 GPS Receiver. What is the main difference? Why the $40 price difference? They look very similar to me.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
Dan Taylor

Comments

• Jessica UelmenJessica Uelmen Posts: 490
    edited 2009-05-14 15:32
    Hi Dan,

The GPS Receiver Module is more expensive because includes all supporting circuitry to allow for quick and easy interfacing with any of our microcontrollers (as well as source code and documentation).

The PMB-248 is just the raw GPS Receiver from the GPS Receiver module, allowing the user more freedom of design (i.e. choose to communicate through RS232 or TTL). But the user will have to do some more design work and coding before interfacing with a microcontroller, thus the $40 price difference.

Hope this helps!

Jessica

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jessica Uelmen
    Education Department
    Parallax, Inc.

Post Edited (Jessica Uelmen (Parallax)) : 5/14/2009 3:41:44 PM GMT
  • Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,386
    edited 2009-05-14 17:11
    Dan,

One more note to add to Jessica' statement. The Parallax GPS 28146 has a really handy "Smart Mode" in which you send a request and receive a reply with only the data you wanted. This is so much easier to use with a BS2 as it won't chew up your RAM and it will save you the parsing issues. If you're using GPS with the BASIC Stamp I'd certainly go with 28146. Others may disagree, or point out that it'll work better with the BS2p's memory, but the whole coding process is simplified with Smart Mode.

Ken Gracey
  • Dan TaylorDan Taylor Posts: 207
    edited 2009-05-15 17:09
    Thank you both for your help! It answered all of my questions. hop.gif

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Dan Taylor
  • GeorgeLGeorgeL Posts: 131
    edited 2009-05-17 21:22
    If you decide to get the cheaper one, which I would recommend for the price difference, I wrote a guide for using it with the BS2.

http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=807139

I also included a program I wrote in VB.Net for saving incomming data and displaying on Google Earth as a path!
  • Dan TaylorDan Taylor Posts: 207
    edited 2009-05-18 04:05
    Just wanted to thank you GeorgeL for that! That is so helpful!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Dan Taylor
  • GeorgeLGeorgeL Posts: 131
    edited 2009-05-19 06:00
    Your welcome, I am improving the code still, mostly decreasing EEPROM usage, ~19% right now. As for the VB app, I am creating a simple map system right now, kind of like turn-by-turn.