Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
RFID reader range(s) — Parallax Forums

RFID reader range(s)

jmcjmc Posts: 1
edited 2009-05-08 15:11 in Accessories
I'm interested in an RFID reader with tags that result in a read range of about a foot or two (12-24"). I notice that the 28140 / 28340 readers' pdf documentation indicate that this reader is intended for the parallax passive tags and for operation at around 4 inches. Is there no other product or no way to achieve a 12-24" read distance? I notice that the main reader pages for the serial and usb readers specify two of the tags read ranges of 2.5" and 2.7" +/- 10%, but there are a few other tags, and the tag pages don't seem to indicate ranges (probably rightly so, since it depends on the reader). Anyway, if this is the case, then where does the "4 inches" value apply? Perhaps to one of the other tags available?

Thanks,
jmc

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2009-05-08 15:11
    4 inches is probably a maximum with some tags. 2 to 3 inches is a typical range for this frequency range (125KHz). You can sometimes find readers with a higher power output and greater range (for more money), but you won't get the 12-24" range you're talking about. There are other frequency ranges with a greater read range, but you'll have to do your own research and they will be more expensive.

I've used another company's 125KHz RFID reader and wound my own (physically larger) sensor coils to get a 3-4" range.