Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
What chips/sensor's do "Smart Key's" Use? — Parallax Forums

What chips/sensor's do "Smart Key's" Use?

relengerrelenger Posts: 11
edited 2009-04-22 03:10 in Accessories
i was woundering what sensor was use on the newer car's that have the smart key's? i would like to build something that the car "know's when im near"
·

Comments

• SRLMSRLM Posts: 5,045
    edited 2009-04-20 05:08
    Probably RFID (for the plastic keys), and it's probably impossible to hack. It is a key, after all, and unless they overlooked some critical security flaw (unlikely by now), you most likely won't be able to use the system.
  • Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2009-04-20 05:22
    Some use Microchip's KEELOQ technology.

-Phil
  • relengerrelenger Posts: 11
    edited 2009-04-20 20:10
    well i dont wanna hack one or anything... i want to be able to walk up to my car and have it unlock when i get near it.... i dont wanna push a button. were do i start?
  • Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2009-04-20 20:23
    Radio-controlled door locks use a rolling code that's different every time the door is unlocked. This helps to prevent potential car thieves from eavesdroppin on the transmission to obtain a passcode. So you're probably out of luck, unless you want to dig into your car and disable the current security features that control the unlocking.

-Phil
    edited 2009-04-20 22:01
    na, i own a srt-4... dont think to many people would want to steal it.... im not worried about code hoping or anything... i just wanna start with the basic's >> The car know's if im near or not.... i thought about maybe a bluetooth device and touch sensor??
    how to explain?>> The blue tooth device will be in my pocket(attached to key ring) when i walk up to the car i would touch the door, now that i touched the door the car can check to see if the blue tooth device is near by, if it is it will unlock the door's for let's say 15sec.... im not sure if all that make's sence?
  • SRLMSRLM Posts: 5,045
    edited 2009-04-20 22:24
    Sure, that's not too difficult. Basically, all the system will do is wait for user input (you pushing the button), then send out a call on a particular radio frequency (bluetooth) and wait for an acceptable response. If you're not worried about theft, then you can just use a simple encryption of some sort to prevent some kid trying to take your car (although, if they can build/buy a transceiver that would work on the car, then they can probably break anything you try).
    edited 2009-04-22 02:28
    anyone know were i can get some touch sensor chips? like the old QT113?
  • FranklinFranklin Posts: 4,747
    edited 2009-04-22 03:10
    Google qtouch

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    - Stephen