Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
PING sensor as tank level sensor — Parallax Forums

PING sensor as tank level sensor

pgbpsupgbpsu Posts: 460
edited 2009-04-15 13:55 in Accessories
The mechanical fluid-level sensor on my home heating oil tank has broken. Would the Parallax PING sensor work as a way of sensing the level of oil remaining in the tank? It seems it should bounce off the surface of the oil in the tank pretty much as well as anything else. The tank is pretty still so I don't expect it to be so disturb as to not work. But what about echos returning from the sides of the tank?

Any reason I should be concerned about ultrasonic waves and 275 gallons of diesel fuel?

Thanks,
Peter

Comments

• dandreaedandreae Posts: 1,375
    edited 2009-04-02 13:54
    Yes, the Ping should work·just fine for this project.· I don't think that the frequency will affect the diesel fuel.· I've attached a file with an example.··You'll want to take precautions regarding any possible electrical spark around expolsive fumes.

Dave

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Dave Andreae

Parallax Tech Support

Post Edited (Dave Andreae (Parallax)) : 4/3/2009 3:24:45 PM GMT
  • pgbpsupgbpsu Posts: 460
    edited 2009-04-02 16:28
    Hi Dave-

Thanks for the link. This is pretty much exactly what I want to do. Now I just have to find the parts which were all given to me last year when I attended the Prop Expo in Ohio.

If I can find that stuff and get this built, I'll let you know how it goes.

p
  • Mike2545Mike2545 Posts: 433
    edited 2009-04-03 02:26
    Prop expo in Ohio? Do they have a scheduled event for this year?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Mike2545

This message sent to you on 100% recycled electrons.
    edited 2009-04-03 09:18
    Mike2545-

This was a great get together of prop users orgaznized by Jeff Ledger (aka OldBitCollector) last August in Norwalk, OH. You can find more info about this year's event at:

http://www.warrantyvoid.us/upene/

http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=785269

pgb
  • Mike2545Mike2545 Posts: 433
    edited 2009-04-03 11:09
    Sorry, neither of those two links work, please try again....

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Mike2545

This message sent to you on 100% recycled electrons.
    edited 2009-04-04 18:12
    Dave-

I'm happy to report that this works just as you suggested it would. Honestly, I wasn't too pre-cautious with my test, but diesel (and fumes) aren't explosive unless under pressure. None the less, now that I know this can work, I'll put together a proper case for the PING to keep any possible sparks away from the tank. Now I need to come up with a way of turning a distance to the surface of the oil into gallons remain. Time to dig out my calc book.

Regards,
    Peter
  • SeariderSearider Posts: 290
    edited 2009-04-09 03:06
    Don't stop with just calculating gallons left. No reason that you can't easly determin the burn rate and predict when you will run out or when you need to order more. things like # of hours at current rate. # of hours using 72 hour average burn rate. the posibilities are endless [noparse]:)[/noparse]

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Searider
  • weglobalweglobal Posts: 2
    edited 2009-04-15 13:44
    Hi
    I am designing a circuit for a tank as well my problem is that the sensor has to be no more than 5 inches alway from the top of the tank and the tank is 5 inches deep, the bisgest problem that I am facing is the acuracy that has to be around 1/4 inches , could anybody help me please
    thanks
    edited 2009-04-15 13:55
    weglobal-

I think the PING sensor should be able to "see" things as close as 3cm. I'm not sure about the accuracy. Maybe you can find something in the documentation on the parallax website:
    www.parallax.com/Store/Sensors/ObjectDetection/tabid/176/ProductID/92/List/0/Default.aspx?SortField=ProductName,ProductName

If I can find all the parts again, I can test it for you. How critical is the 1/4"?

p