Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
source for strain gauge — Parallax Forums

source for strain gauge

devincoxdevincox Posts: 9
edited 2009-03-16 19:01 in Accessories
I am trying to find a source for a strain gauge for a project I am working on.
something similar to this:

HMQuickshiferPCPlusModel.jpg

It will be used when a certain amount of force is being applied to the shift lever on my race bike to initiate an ignition kill/nitrous cutoff.

Thanks,
Devin

Comments

• devincoxdevincox Posts: 9
    edited 2009-03-02 16:36
    another example:

powercommander_new_srp_ts_b.jpg
  • FranklinFranklin Posts: 4,747
    edited 2009-03-03 02:54
    If you could post a datasheet for the sensor you are interested in getting code for maybe someone could help.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    - Stephen
    edited 2009-03-03 14:42
    Sorry, I mean a source to purchase the strain gauge not the source code to run it. I can not seem to find these as a sensor for under 500.00, and not for an industrial application. The ones in the pictures sell for way less than that, so I am thinking there is a better solution.
    Maybe I will have to build one from a flexiforce sensor.

Thanks,
    Devin
  • FranklinFranklin Posts: 4,747
    edited 2009-03-05 01:33
    edited 2009-03-09 20:59
    Excellent. I will give this a try.

Thank you,
    Devin
  • dredre Posts: 106
    edited 2009-03-10 01:42

As I understand your query you are not looking for actual strain gages. If indeed you are however, you might consider the following source:

http://www.vishay.com/strain-gages/

Their MicroMeasurements division is the 'Parallax' of strain gages; in that, they offer an excellent product, fortified with a wealth of educational material:

http://www.vishay.com/strain-gages/knowledge-base-list/

If I can be of further help with regard to using strain gages as the basis for your sensor please ask. MicroMeasurements gages can often be found on e-bay and there are application tutorials offered online.

cheers, David

edited 2009-03-16 17:29
    David,thank you for the informative url.
    I am going to try the flexiforce sensor with my design and see if this works.

Devin
  • dredre Posts: 106
    edited 2009-03-16 19:01
    Devin, You're entirely welcome.

Understand that the flexiforce senses compressive force; and not strain. [noparse][[/noparse]I can think of a mechanical arrangement wherein you could use it to sense tensile force.] In either case I believe it needs to be calibrated.

Some time ago, at a Stamp user's request, I received a sample flexiforce sensor and made a simple arrangement to apply a known compressive force in order to calibrate it. As I remember the sensor had a unfathomable trait which made it not as accurate as I would have liked. But experiment yourself - you may find that it is fine for your use.

As I mentioned previously, if you find that you would like to try using the standard strain gages let me know if I can be of help.

cheers, David