Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Five-cent Tilt Sensor — Parallax Forums

Five-cent Tilt Sensor

Oldbitcollector (Jeff)Oldbitcollector (Jeff) Posts: 8,091
edited 2009-02-18 15:42 in Accessories
Instructables has some neat sensor projects from time to time.

This is one that caught my eye recently and was added to my TODO list.
www.instructables.com/id/Five_cent_Tilt_Sensor/

OBC

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
New to the Propeller?

Check out: Protoboard Introduction , Propeller Cookbook 1.4 & Software Index
Updates to the Cookbook are now posted to: Propeller.warrantyvoid.us
Got an SD card connected? - PropDOS

Comments

• WhitWhit Posts: 4,191
    edited 2009-02-16 17:57
    I saw that when it was posted too! Looks pretty neat.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Whit+

"We keep moving forward, opening new doors, and doing new things, because we're curious and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths." - Walt Disney
  • J. A. StreichJ. A. Streich Posts: 158
    edited 2009-02-18 04:57
    I saw that, too (or is that three)... I also saw something similar today (or yesterday), a melted metal led thingy, and it got me thinking about making my own mercury tilt switch (perhaps an idea for someone doing the recession prop contest... Grandma may have an old mercury thremometer in the medicine cabinet).
  • Oldbitcollector (Jeff)Oldbitcollector (Jeff) Posts: 8,091
    edited 2009-02-18 15:24
    J. A. Streich said...
    I saw that, too (or is that three)... I also saw something similar today (or yesterday), a melted metal led thingy, and it got me thinking about making my own mercury tilt switch (perhaps an idea for someone doing the recession prop contest... Grandma may have an old mercury thremometer in the medicine cabinet).

Be careful.

Mercury is considered a serious bio-hazard now. I was talking to my local fire chief a couple
    months ago, and he said that if he *knew* there was open mercury somewhere he would have
    to roadblock the area, and call in a special hazmat team to bring equipment to clean it up.
    (This was actually done once, someone broke an old thermometer in a desk in city hall.)

Funny, how many of us played with it coating pennies as kids. The rule was to wash your
    hands after you were done playing with it. (At least in my house) Outside of my serious
    addiction to all things electronic, I've suffered no ill effects.

OBC

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    New to the Propeller?

Check out: Protoboard Introduction , Propeller Cookbook 1.4 & Software Index
    Updates to the Cookbook are now posted to: Propeller.warrantyvoid.us
    Got an SD card connected? - PropDOS

Post Edited (Oldbitcollector) : 2/18/2009 8:34:36 PM GMT
  • sylvie369sylvie369 Posts: 1,622
    edited 2009-02-18 15:42
    Oldbitcollector said...
    Funny, how many of us played with it coating pennies as kids. The rule was to wash your
    hands after you were done playing with it. (At least in my house) Outside of my serious
    addiction to all things electronic, I've suffered no ill effects.

OBC

I played with it quite a bit as a child as well.

My theory is that eating lead paint and sliding down slides into playgrounds full of arsenic-laden materials counteracts the mercury.