Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
a propeller board pin question and a motor controller question — Parallax Forums

a propeller board pin question and a motor controller question

BadgerBadger Posts: 184
edited 2008-09-30 03:50 in Propeller 1
Hello

how are you all to day.

I have a propeller bard for a company called inex it has 2 or 3 pins labeled +v then 2 pin next to it that says +5
now on the not so exact schematic it says v+O and 5+O now i know that second one means + 5volts out what is the +vO stand for ..

not for the motor controller

does anyone have a small 2 motor controller that can be hooked to an external power supply but be controlled forward and backward with speed setting . real cheep if you are felling really good a ( donation ) LOL

Please private message me on the motor please

Badger

Comments

• SapiehaSapieha Posts: 2,964
    edited 2008-09-30 01:50
    Hi Badger.

You can drive motors with variable speed by one half of L298.

Direction by Inx pins and Speed with variable voltage to +Vs Motor

Ps. You can drive 2 motors on that IC but both must have same sped at time but not nesessary if it not dirves in same time

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Nothing is impossible, there are only different degrees of difficulty.
    For every stupid question there is at least one intelligent answer.
    Don't guess - ask instead.
    If you don't ask you won't know.
    If your gonna construct something, make it·as simple as·possible yet as versatile as posible.

Sapieha
  • BadgerBadger Posts: 184
    edited 2008-09-30 01:57
    Sapieha

Hey thanks for the info but.. could you please explain that a tad or send me someplace for some good documentation or send me some to my email address. if you would that is please..

and is that what v+ mean variable voltage

if so as i asked above how is that done

Badger
    was going to send the schematic but it wont seem to let me. is this missing key error the cause of that
  • TimmooreTimmoore Posts: 1,031
    edited 2008-09-30 02:04
    Take a look at the ppdb schmatic. There is L293D motor controller on it, bottom of page 4. It needs no other external components. I am using it to control some motors.
    edited 2008-09-30 02:08
    Hi Badger.

Yes I can suply You with more details

In this thread have·You My construction on that IC. It can drive one steper motor else 2 =V+ motors on one halv of IC one motor
    http://forums.parallax.com/forums/default.aspx?f=25&m=296407&g=297228#m297228

IC has 4 InX pins to control direction 2 Enable Pins to control Enable one halv of IC with it You can control Motor 1 else 2 ON
    With InX Pins control You Direction.
    With V+ Motor driving Pin wiyh variable voltage driving You control speed

Chj

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    If your gonna construct something, make it·as simple as·possible yet as versatile as posible.

Sapieha
    edited 2008-09-30 02:33
    hey

Sapieha

here is a link to the schematic it wont let me upload it tonight for some reason.

http://forums.parallax.com/forums/default.aspx?f=25&p=1&m=294428#m294456

here is a link to the pic of the board.

http://forums.parallax.com/forums/default.aspx?f=25&p=1&m=293571#m293705

i really cant figure out if you are talking about an ic that is on the board or built into the propeller chip it self. I reall dont know much about the propeller chip i have been working with the BOE and the HWB so i am a very serious noobie at this ok

Badger
    edited 2008-09-30 02:39
    Hi Badger..

I talk on IC on My Board. It is L289N DUAL FULL-BRIDGE DRIVER

http://forums.parallax.com/forums/default.aspx?f=25&m=296407&g=297228#m297228

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Sapieha
    edited 2008-09-30 02:42
    The o of +Vo is the schmatic symbol for the end of the wire. Its saying +V, it connected to the +V at the top of the schematic which is the input voltage after the main switch. So if you power the board from a voltage that can run the motor as well you can use this output.
    You dont mention what motor you are trying to control. What can be used to control it depends on what the motor needs - voltage and current.
    edited 2008-09-30 02:48
    Sapieha

thanks for that information. I will tell you the voltage and current in a moment i have to look it up I dont remember what it was ok

Badger
    edited 2008-09-30 02:51
    Hi Badger..

On L289N You can drive up to 2x2A 46V·up to standart motors else 1 up to 4A 46V·steper motor

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Sapieha
    edited 2008-09-30 02:58
    Sapieha

looked it up and i had to read the customers review to find out that it can draw a max load of 1.5 amp at 1.5 to 3 volts. I have also read that you can push 9 volts though these things but you have to step done the amps. but i am looking to run some ware between the 1.5 to 3 i really dont think i will need no more than 1 amp per motor.

does this sound like to much power. I want to drive a small robot. I am going to have to figure out some gearing. I am going to have to make this cause i cant afford to buy anything like that. because it turns a max of 5800 rpm under load give or take 12 percent. the robot will weight in at any ware from 3 to 10 pounds it depends what i can afford to deck it out with.

Badger
    edited 2008-09-30 03:03
    Sapieha

her is a question. i have looked this board over with a 4x magnifying glass and can not fine the l289d chip. I am tired and on my pain med i am not comprehending very well are you saying this board can do what i think you are saying. that it can use an external power source up to 2 amp to drive motors using pwm or somthing like that. if so is this built into the prop chip or is it the big chip just behind the power input plug

Badger

ps sorry to be so stupid tonight. my brain is rather fuzzy. I take some pretty heavy meds I see a pain clinic so. sometimes i fight to comprehend things a little harder
    edited 2008-09-30 03:03
    Hi Badger..

To that loads You can use relatively smal transistors.
    It is only 1.5Ax3V=4.5W

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Sapieha
    edited 2008-09-30 03:10
    Sapieha

ok here are some questions. My mind works more like step by step or pictorial ..

the blue connect beside the wall power plug is that ware i hook the external power supply for the moters

ad you said something about resisters i know about resisters and how to figure watts and such.

but do i have to build something on a small bread board to make this work..

Sapieha it may be late and all the other stuff i have said about me but i am drawing a complete blank. if you dont feel like dealing with me tonight that is fine.

but if you can can you step it out in a step by step detail a little i will try and grasp the concept you are trying to push in between my ears LOL

Badger
    edited 2008-09-30 03:13
    The only thing to watch for is often the 3v motors can't take high voltage without dieing quickly. Heres someone who ran the fa-130 motor - the motor in a lot of tamiya toys at higher voltages http://www.pololu.com/docs/0J11/all they died badly.
    So you will not be able to use +V but you will need a separate power supply.
    If this is a 1 off project you can do what I did, which is swap the motors for solarbotics RM3 http://www.pololu.com/catalog/product/604 these are the same size but can take higher voltage and lower amps. I run these off a 8V battery, the same battery I am feeding a propeller board.
    A link to the L298 is http://www.st.com/stonline/books/pdf/docs/1773.pdf
    and the L293D is http://focus.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/l293.pdf
    If you can use the L298D or L293D then you dont need external diodes, if you get the controller without the D you need external diodes.
    The board you have doesn't have the motor controller on it, you will need to add it, either the L293D or L298 will do. Or you can build the equivalent with transistors. I find the L293D the easiest - since no other components.
    Also look at http://www.parallax.com/Portals/0/Downloads/docs/prod/robo/PPBD_A%20Schematic.pdf·page 4 os a schematic for a L293D
    ·
    edited 2008-09-30 03:15
    Sapieha

the power regulators has 4 leads first is kia27b-r339l the second is kia278b-r05p1 are these strong enough to pull the power i need for these 2 motors

Badger

if so then all other question are mute
    edited 2008-09-30 03:17
    Hi Badgers...

PM to me..
    Al parameters on Yours motors.
    I can draw for You one schema with posible control alternatives.
    One with Constant speed and one with Variable speed..
    You can have it tomorrow

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Sapieha
    edited 2008-09-30 03:20
    Sapieha

Ok i need to ask why i cant use the v+ on the board is the voltage to high if so can i bring it down with an array of resistors or what .. i guess i am learning a lot tonight lol

Badger
    edited 2008-09-30 03:29
    Hi Bagers...

If You have Prop board You must Have 3.3 V+ and 5 V+ on board.
    Til one motor that have 3 V specification You can use 3.3 V+ with direct Transistor drive with no speed control else PWM to control speed Votage.
    Eles 5 V+ with PWM transistor control with no extra Resistor at alls

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Sapieha
    edited 2008-09-30 03:36
    Sapieha

i sent an im from here and an email to your hotmail account. let me know if you got it. I have satellite internet and it is raining so i dont know if my sends with through let me know

Badger
    edited 2008-09-30 03:50
    Hi Badger..

Yes I got e-posy from You.
    My Hotmail acount is not my ordinary e-post but it is OK.
    It is MSN if You have that You can have me in Yours Contacts

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Sapieha