9 Volt Power Supply

jwalkerjwalker Posts: 2
edited September 2008 in BASIC Stamp Vote Up0Vote Down
I have a Basic Stamp homework board that I want to run 24x7.· Can anyone recommend a porew adaptor and battery connector cable?· Do I need to make this myself?

Post Edited (jwalker) : 9/25/2008 10:07:22 AM GMT

• 5 Comments sorted by Date Added Votes
  • FranklinFranklin Posts: 4,746
    edited September 2008 Vote Up0Vote Down
    Please add a subject line to your post. Use the pencil in the upper right.

- Stephen
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 22,096
    1) Please edit your thread and add a subject. Use the pencil icon in the upper right hand corner of the message window.

2) RadioShack sells a nice, compact 6V AC adapter (#273-1763). There's also a 9V adapter (#273-1768) if you prefer that.
    Both would require a 9V battery clip (#270-325) that you'd have to solder onto the leads from the AC adapter.
    Be aware that the colors on this battery clip are for connecting to a battery, not substituting for one and they're
    backwards for what you want (black = +9V, red = - 9V). Make sure you check that it's wired correctly and has the right
    voltage polarity (with a multimeter) before you connect it to your homework board.
  • jwalkerjwalker Posts: 2
    Thank you.
  • ercoerco Posts: 14,945
    Excellent call on that classic mistake, Mike. It's a rite of passage to destroy something the first time one uses a 9V battery clip as a PS connector, assuming that red is always positive. If followed, your sound advice keeps the magic smoke inside the chip, where it does the most good.

·"If you build it, they will come."
    “Simplicity is the ultimate form of sophistication.”

-Leonardo da Vinci