Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
TV_Text -> PPDB — Parallax Forums

TV_Text -> PPDB

RsadeikaRsadeika Posts: 3,822
edited 2010-01-08 18:18 in Propeller 1
I assume that the TV_Text.spin object is ready to go for the DEMO board, since I do not have a DEMO board but a PPDB, I am trying to figure out what wires go to what pins. The first thing that I tried was p12-Vo, p13-V1, p14-V2, and p15-VA, this got me nowhere. Anybody get the TV_Text working with the PPDB, and is willing to share the secret?

<edit> @jazzed, I tried the tv_text.c, and tv_test.c, when I compile I get the following:
tv_text.c, error, _main not defined
tv_test.c, error, _tvText_start symbol not defined
So, I did not even get to the point of trying to change your program to match the pins to what I have hooked up. <edit>

Thanks

Ray

Post Edited (Rsadeika) : 9/20/2008 9:38:51 PM GMT

Comments

• Oldbitcollector (Jeff)Oldbitcollector (Jeff) Posts: 8,091
    edited 2008-09-20 18:43
    Sure! Got one in front of me!

Try this:

Propeller P12 to V0
    Propeller P13 to V1
    Propeller P14 to V2

OBC

Edit: Make sure that you are looking at the correct pin for P12, it can be a little
    tricky to see it right. If you are not sure, count'em out from P0

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    New to the Propeller?

Getting started with a Propeller Protoboard?
    Check out: Introduction to the Proboard & Propeller Cookbook 1.4
    Updates to the Cookbook are now posted to: Propeller.warrantyvoid.us
    Got an SD card connected? - PropDOS
  • RsadeikaRsadeika Posts: 3,822
    edited 2008-09-20 18:54
    Just to make sure I got it right with my TV set, I have three holes on the front, yellow, white, and red. I just plug into the yellow hole, which reads video, correct? I have not worked with kind of set-up, just been plugging into VGA ports.

Thanks
  • potatoheadpotatohead Posts: 10,253
    edited 2008-09-20 18:55
    Yep, the yellow one is video.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Propeller Wiki: Share the coolness!

Chat in real time with other Propellerheads on IRC #propeller @ freenode.net
    edited 2008-09-20 19:21
    I had no success with the TV, maybe the VGA. Does anybody have the pinout for the VGA adaptor for the PPDB, so I can try VGA_Text object. It would be nice if Parallax would have included the pinouts for the PPDB, so you could run the provided objects.

Thanks

Ray
  • Paul BakerPaul Baker Posts: 6,351
    edited 2008-09-20 19:23
    Hi Ray, if you prefer to work with VGA, VGA_Text and TV_Text are nearly symmetric drivers, meaning frequently all that needs to be done is replace one object with another, and make sure you have the right pin pointed to in the start method.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Paul Baker
    Propeller Applications Engineer

Parallax, Inc.
    edited 2008-09-20 19:31
    Here's the VGA hookup.. (Paul, you guys never did answer my question about why on this.)

V = P16
    H = P17
    B1 {240ohm} = P19
    B0 {470ohm} = P18
    G1 {240ohm} = P21
    G0 {470ohm} = P20
    R1 {240ohm} = P23
    R0 {470ohm} = P22

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    New to the Propeller?

edited 2008-09-20 19:36
    Ray,

You said that you hadn't played with this setup before. Is there a chance you didn't find the
    "line in" channel on your TV? That channel is typically located below channel 1 or has it's own
    button on your remote or TV. Sometime referred to as "input"

Don't give up! TV access with the Propeller is pretty cool.

OBC

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    New to the Propeller?

edited 2008-09-20 19:52
    I am working with a KONKA TV, it has two sets of these plug-ins, one on the back, which I have my DVD player pluged into, and the other set on the front of the TV,·which I have connected to the PPDB. On my remote control I have to select AV1, to have the DVD work,·or AV2 for the PPDB. Maybe my TV AV2 is bad, but I have no idea as to how to test that. I sure as heck am not going to buy another TV just to see how my PPDB works.

As for the VGA connector, are you saying that I need to place a resistor between B1 and P19, for example. That is a real pain, you think that they would have added that to the board itself.

B1 {240ohm} = P19
    B0 {470ohm} = P18
    G1 {240ohm} = P21
    G0 {470ohm} = P20
    R1 {240ohm} = P23
    R0 {470ohm} = P22

Thanks again

Ray
    edited 2008-09-20 20:00
    Ray,

Those resistors are there. I grabbed a quick cut/paste from an earlier message as to
    why they are laid out in the order they are. Notice how the lines criss-cross? [noparse]:)[/noparse]

Just make the wire connections and you'll have VGA. Don't forget to load the VGA_Demo.

As for troubleshooting the TV, if the DVD player works on the rear hookup, try moving
    it to the front jacks while it's on and see if you can make it work there. Or hook your
    PPDB to the rear jacks and see it work. [noparse]:)[/noparse]

OBC

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    New to the Propeller?

edited 2008-09-20 20:08
    Also, what are you running for the TV out?

If it were me, I would use the Parallax graphics demo. It's a good signal, simple to run, and known to display on pretty much everything. Could be your TV is picky.

This is where a quick photo would help too. (book suggestion OldBit! Lots of close up photos.)

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

edited 2008-09-20 20:38
    I just checked both of the video ports on the TV, using OBCs suggestion, and they work. I tried a different cable, just to make sure that it was not the cable, both cables work. I also tried the TV_graphics demo, that did not work. So, there must be something going on with the PPDB itself, I hope nobody suggests using a scope on the TV module connections on the PPDB, don't have one, and if I did I would not know how to use the thing anyway. Any easy way to check the TV module on the PPDB?

Ray
    edited 2008-09-20 21:07
    Oldbitcollector said...
    Here's the VGA hookup.. (Paul, you guys never did answer my question about why on this.)
    I don't have an answer to your question, I'll have to ask Chris on Monday.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Paul Baker

Parallax, Inc.
    edited 2008-09-20 21:09
    @Paul, It's a little nit-picky, but I am really curious if there was a design consideration,
    or if I finally caught someone sleeping. (doubtful) [noparse]:)[/noparse] [noparse]:)[/noparse]

OBC

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    New to the Propeller?

edited 2008-09-20 21:16
    The original design for the PPDB dates back to before the introduction of the Propeller, it is possible it was laid out before there was any concept of a standard and was never updated during the design process.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Paul Baker

Parallax, Inc.

Post Edited (Paul Baker (Parallax)) : 9/20/2008 9:33:46 PM GMT
    edited 2008-09-20 22:36
    Well, I just tried the VGA_Text.spin object, and that did not work. I am having a heck of a time trying to get either one of these objects to work, I am starting to think that I may just have a bum board. I guess my next qustion is, has anybody got the VGA module to work on there PPDB? Their is probably no easy way to check the components on the board, so if tomorow·board does not work, then bye bye PPDB.
    edited 2008-09-21 08:19
    I'll try it on Monday.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Paul Baker

Parallax, Inc.
  • Ron SutcliffeRon Sutcliffe Posts: 420
    edited 2008-09-21 09:55
    I presume that you have the grounds connected OK ?
    edited 2008-09-21 14:04
    I was able to run the VGA demo (the one with the button blocks) using the wiring scheme above.

@Ray, It's almost starting to sound like you might have a bum chip. Can you do a simple LED
    blink? I've attached one below. Use a single wire from P0 to LED 0 and see if it works, then
    work your way from P0 to P29 and see if it works. Just change the code and move the wire each time.

This will confirm your chip is working correctly.

OBC

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    New to the Propeller?

edited 2008-09-21 14:09
    Another thought, (and something that I will include in my book)

Make sure that your wires are in good shape. Frequent bending of solid core wire can
    cause it to break, losing connection. You could have a wire that is broken, yet the
    insulation is holding it together. Pass them with a meter or use the blink code to double
    check any in doubt.

OBC

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    New to the Propeller?

edited 2008-09-21 15:38
    I had checked the chip just awhile back, but decided to double check it again. Using your program, I attached a brand new wire to P0 and the·0-LED on the board, and I got nothing. So, I put an LED circuit on the PPDB breadboard, and the LED flashes, which means that the chip is good, for P0, anyway. To double check the 0-LED, I attached the other end to the 5V supply, and the·board LED lites up. So, now I do not know what is going on, is there a problem with the component headers? In another post, there was mention of the ground, since I checked the 0-LED by using the board 5V supply, I would have to assume that all the components are grounded correctly.

Ray
    edited 2008-09-21 17:56
    Does the LED blink check the PLL?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

edited 2008-09-21 19:06
    I just got through trying to get the TV, and the VGA components to work, again,·no success. I checked out the RS-232 component, that worked; I was unable to check out the PS/2 components. I guess the board will be going back to Parallax, if they will have it. I hope I get a good one this time, sure wasted a lot of time trying to verify the components. To bad Parallax does not provide a PPDB_diagnostic.spin program, that way you plug in your wires, assign the pins, and watch for the results.

Ray
  • jazzedjazzed Posts: 11,803
    edited 2008-09-22 15:34
    Rsadeika said...

<edit> @jazzed, I tried the tv_text.c, and tv_test.c, when I compile I get the following:
    tv_text.c, error, _main not defined
    tv_test.c, error, _tvText_start symbol not defined
    So, I did not even get to the point of trying to change your program to match the pins to what I have hooked up. <edit>

Ray,

By now, you want to toss everything out the window ... I can't help you with that, but since you mentioned problems with C code ... I'll try to help you there. It looks like you had a linking problem.·Here are steps you should take to download and compile successfully:
    1. Create folder for Propeller ICC projects. Will use·"C:\PropellerICC"·for this example.
    2. Create an output folder "C:\PropellerICC\output"
    3. Download zip package from OBEX to "C:\PropellerICC"
    4. Extract zip to "C:\PropellerICC"
    5. After extract, you should have a folder with the package name in "C:\PropellerICC" like "C:\PropellerICC\TvText"
    6. Start ICCPROP IDE
    7. Click Project->Close to get rid of the old project (no idea why ICC opens with last project by default)
    8. Click Project->Open ... in file dialog choose package folder, then open the *.prj file "C:\PropellerICC\TvText\tvtext.prj" for example.

Once you have done these steps, you should see the package heirarchy on the right of ICC IDE as shown in the attachement below. Click on the brick wall or hit F9 to compile. You may note that my folder was different, but the results should be the same.

Good Luck.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    807 x 611 - 86K
  • DonEduardoDonEduardo Posts: 54
    edited 2009-06-24 15:56
    Did this issue ever get resolved with the PPDB and TV? I tried for about three hours yesterday and figured I must be missing something silly. But reading through this thread I can say I'm having the same experience. Chip and board seem fine. Have developed several test circuits on it. First time trying to get the TV to work. TV keeps saying no signal. I have pins 12,13,14 connected to Vo,V1,V2 in that order. Tried terminal demo and text demo. I looked at the graphics one, but can't remember if I tried it. I don't think so.

According to the PPDB schematic, the jack is grounded already, so I didn't connect a ground. Was planning to check the wires and components and grounding tonight for any problems, but after reading this thread, I'm afraid I might be wasting my time.
  • Ole Man EarlOle Man Earl Posts: 262
    edited 2009-06-24 16:41
    I use TV out all the time because the interface is so simple. 3 resisters to an rca jack and on to the tv. Never fails me. I primarily use Propeller Proto board. When I write spin program, I often forget to initialize the TV circuit. Being old, I am getting better at remembering to do it tho...
    edited 2009-06-24 17:48
    It sounds correct.

You say that you've built other circuits on it, so we'll assume it works.

Could things to check.....

Do you have a secondary item which you could test your video-in
    to verify proper channel, etc?

Also, I've had a broken wire which cause me some headache a
    while back. It was broken, but not enough to break the plastic
    apart.

OBC

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    New to the Propeller?

Visit the: The Propeller Pages @ Warranty Void.
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2009-06-24 18:26
    Based on the way you described your inputs I am wondering if you have those set to display? Do you have the correct A/V input selected on your display?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Engineering
    edited 2009-06-24 18:36
    I'll check all the wires and components tonight. You could be right about that. As I was putting it together a couple of my wires did break off. They've been used heavily. So you might be right that one or more of them are faulty. The physical circuit seemed so simple (just connected three wires) that I actually spent most of the time playing with the code settings rather than considering hardware as the problem. Gave up around midnight.

Yes, I checked the video-in with another device (my cable TV box) to make sure the TV is setup correctly to receive composite video. So good there I believe.

Will let you know. Now that I know there is no reason it shouldn't work, I won't give up this time.

Thanks.
    edited 2009-06-25 00:38
    Yeah, umm, it's sort of like, you know, embarrassing.

But since you guys were kind enough to reply, I'll fess up. It was me. I had gotten so used to pressing Ctl-F10 to compile my programs over the past couple months, I wasn't paying attention. I downloaded the LED flasher prog that OBC had recommended. I couldn't get that to work either. Then I noticed what I was doing. Pressed F10 instead and everything started working fine. Was constantly loading my previous set top level file.

Sorry guys. I guess I shouldn't have started this last night after such a long day at work. If you look at my original post you'll see that my first instinct was to blame me for doing something silly. I should have stuck with that instinct.
  • Ole Man EarlOle Man Earl Posts: 262
    edited 2009-06-25 01:12
    Hay, now your one of us...welcome to the group!