Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
REM sleep detector — Parallax Forums

REM sleep detector

cbricbri Posts: 7
edited 2007-09-06 01:27 in BASIC Stamp
Hi, I'm trying to figure out how to make a REM sleep detector with a basic stamp but am running into trouble finding sensors for detecting rem sleep. I know there are a few different methods like eye movement, heart beat, etc.. does anyone have any resources or links to point me in a good direction for sensors?

Thanks,

Craig

Comments

• Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2007-08-22 14:36
    Craig,

I tackled this once back before college when I was studying dream control. I actually built a device based on something I saw in a TV article on it. The device used swimming goggles which had an array or IR LEDs and IR detectors (I think I used photo-transistors). The micro would monitor when there were rapid changes in the light intensity reflected back to the detectors by your eyes. It was pretty easy to tell. My program cheated and waited ½ hour before checking since I used to exhibit REM characteristics while trying to fall asleep. Anyway, bouncing IR off the eyes will give you readings but you may have to experiment with the intensity. You don’t want to over saturate the IR. You’re looking for the minimum required amount.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
  • cbricbri Posts: 7
    edited 2007-08-22 15:41
    That's exactly what I want to do! Do you have any links or anything at all I could use to try/research this?

Thanks!

Craig
  • LoopyBytelooseLoopyByteloose Posts: 12,537
    edited 2007-08-22 16:15
    Very interesting project and innovative.

Just keep in my that the eye is most sensitive of any organ to any kind of radiation. So even with IR, you should keep it at very low levels.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    "Everything in the world is purchased by labour; and our passions are the only causes of labor." -- David·Hume (1711-76)········
    ···················· Tropically,····· G. Herzog [noparse][[/noparse]·黃鶴 ]·in Taiwan
    edited 2007-08-22 16:20
    My project was done back in 1989 and I used my electronics and microcontroller (6502) back then to make this project happen. It actually used a C= VIC-20 and C=64 before I made it stand alone.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    edited 2007-08-22 16:42
    I wonder if I could tape the flexiforce to my eyes to detect changes in the surface (unless it's too stiff for that?)? Just as a test.. or maybe use that sensor to measure my pulse? I guess I need a really sensitive transducer of some sort.. any ideas?

Thanks,

Craig

ps: should I assume you guys read Stephen LaBerge's work?
    edited 2007-08-22 17:49
    I would not recommend that.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    edited 2007-08-22 20:01
    Yea, the eye thing would probably be bad.. couldn't sleep with duct tape on my eyes anyway.. roll.gif

So what can be used to measure pulse or heart rate that can interface to the stamp?

Craig
  • D FaustD Faust Posts: 608
    edited 2007-08-22 20:58
    I would check out·the kind of thing that clips on your finger.· If you search for that you should find some some graphs of the output.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    LOOKDOWN ThisThread, [noparse][[/noparse]Your_?, My_?, Cool_Thing], looknum
    LOOKUP looknum, [noparse][[/noparse]1, 2, 3], subnum
    ON subnum GOTO Hope_this_helps, Thanks!, WOW!!
    END 

• Bryan K.Bryan K. Posts: 47
    edited 2007-09-06 01:27
    I personally did the goggles and LED's too, and they work fairly well. You could try one of those pulse detectors like on treadmills, and other exercise equipment. I know they use an IR LED and Phototransistor, but do not know how well it will work.
  • Hi. I hope someone can help. I have bought a R.E.M. dreamer mask which has 2 led lights and an infrared detector which detects eye movement during REM. I’m a little concerned that the infrared detector could damage the eye in some way as I’m sleeping with this detector thing bouncing off my eye all night.

are these infrared detectors safe or could they cause long term damage. I’m not too clued up about radiation or infrared so please excuse my lack of knowledge

the mask is called remdreamer and an be found at www.remdreamer.com

many thanks everyone
  • Ezzo4444 wrote: »
    Hi. I hope someone can help. I have bought a R.E.M. dreamer mask which has 2 led lights and an infrared detector which detects eye movement during REM. I’m a little concerned that the infrared detector could damage the eye in some way as I’m sleeping with this detector thing bouncing off my eye all night.

are these infrared detectors safe or could they cause long term damage. I’m not too clued up about radiation or infrared so please excuse my lack of knowledge

many thanks everyone

Welcome to the forums!

This thread is quite old, but maybe someone has some updated information.

• You can use a bluetooth heartbeat monitor for $11 and it's ready to go.
    Then add bluetooth and an SD to your stamp and you've got a wireless ECG that the user can comfortably sleep in.
  • kwinnkwinn Posts: 8,697
    Ezzo4444 wrote: »
    Hi. I hope someone can help. I have bought a R.E.M. dreamer mask which has 2 led lights and an infrared detector which detects eye movement during REM. I’m a little concerned that the infrared detector could damage the eye in some way as I’m sleeping with this detector thing bouncing off my eye all night.

many thanks everyone

The infrared detectors are perfectly safe, and since we are surrounded by infrared light all the time it is safe as long as the power level is low. For REM studies it is mainly falling on the eye lids so there is very little exposure for the eyes in any case.