Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
DPDT relay with off postion? — Parallax Forums

DPDT relay with off postion?

dbc1218dbc1218 Posts: 33
edited 2007-02-28 16:41 in Robotics
Does anyone know where I can get a DPDT (double pole double throw) relay with an off position? I know you can get switches like this with a center off position but didn't know about a relay. I want to use it for a project, using a remote control car that has differential steering, to control one of the two motors. I don't even know if something like this is made but maybe one of you guys have seen it.

Comments

• Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2007-02-26 02:55
    How about two DPST relays instead? You'd need two actuation signals anyway for a center-off relay. 'Might as well just use two regular relays.

-Phil
  • Bruce BatesBruce Bates Posts: 3,045
    edited 2007-02-26 07:54
    dbc1218 -

Such DPDT C/O relays have two coils. One coil actuates the armature in one position or direction, and the other actuates it in the opposite position or direction. If neither coil is actuated, the relay self-centers for an "OFF" position.

More information can be provided, if you provide some specifications. The primary concerns here are voltage, amperage and mounting.

Regards,

Bruce Bates

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    <!--StartFragment -->
  • crgwbrcrgwbr Posts: 614
    edited 2007-02-26 13:34
    You could also just use 4 spst relay in an H-bridge pattern.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    NerdMaster
    For
    Life
  • dbc1218dbc1218 Posts: 33
    edited 2007-02-26 18:47
    You guys are right with the multiple relays and you would need the same number of control signals. I think thats going to be the easiest way to go. Thanks for the help.
  • slamerslamer Posts: 52
    edited 2007-02-28 16:41
    If you looking for RC switches. these little guys work great. We use them in RC combat robots all of the time.. They accept standard PWM signals from a receiver or you can control them with a Basic stamp2. From what you posted you probably could use the RCE 220 to control the on/off direction of a motor. You can wire it to work as an H-bridge with a couple of jumpers.

http://www.robotcombat.com/marketplace_teamdelta_rc.html

These fine products are made by Team Delta...

http://www.teamdelta.com/

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    undefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedSteven Kirk Nelson (slamer)

Team K.I.S.S
    Build Safe, Build Mean, Build Strong!