Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Assembly Programming Resources — Parallax Forums

Assembly Programming Resources

Vampyr NoireVampyr Noire Posts: 13
edited 2006-06-02 21:37 in Propeller 1
Does anyone know of any good resources for learning to program assembly? I have been somewhat interested in learning how for some time now, but I haven't had a platform I was particularly interested in learning it on until now. I would try to learn propeller assembly by reading source code but at this point I don't have a strong enough understanding of assembly fundamentals to really decipher source code well. I figure the propeller is a perfect device to learn assembly on because while I am learning it I can still use the high level spin language as a crutch smile.gif

Any advice from you more experienced people on a good learning tactic would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance,
~Ken

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
vampyrnorie.jpg

Comments

• Paul BakerPaul Baker Posts: 6,351
    edited 2006-06-02 21:01
    Try some of the documents on this page: http://www.parallax.com/sx/downloads.asp

The thing about assembly language is it's not universal, each processor has a different command set and a different way of doing things. So it can be difficult finding a general resourse on how to program in assembly. With experience you will gain a "portable" knowledge base that will aid you in picking up another processor's assembly language, but their will always be idiosyncrasies of a processor that you have to learn.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    1+1=10
  • Vampyr NoireVampyr Noire Posts: 13
    edited 2006-06-02 21:21
    The "Beginning Assembly Language for the SX Microcontroller" document on that page looks to be a very good starting point. Thanks for the pointer, it is much appreciated.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    vampyrnorie.jpg
  • SSteveSSteve Posts: 808
    edited 2006-06-02 21:27
    Vampyr Noire said...
    The "Beginning Assembly Language for the SX Microcontroller" document on that page looks to be a very good starting point.
    Not only that, but with the free SX assembler and SX-SIM, you can run an on-screen SX simulator without having to invest in any hardware. It's a great learning tool.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    OS-X: because making Unix user-friendly was easier than debugging Windows
  • Vampyr NoireVampyr Noire Posts: 13
    edited 2006-06-02 21:31
    I had no idea they had a simulator for it...that's awesome! Thanks for the heads up.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    vampyrnorie.jpg
  • Ryan ClarkeRyan Clarke Posts: 738
    edited 2006-06-02 21:37
    Gunther's book is another great resource, if you are looking into SX ASM:
    http://www.parallax.com/detail.asp?product_id=70002

Ryan

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Ryan Clarke
    Parallax Tech Support

RClarke@Parallax.com