Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
somethings not quite right... — Parallax Forums

somethings not quite right...

Kaos KiddKaos Kidd Posts: 614
edited 2006-05-19 14:02 in Propeller 1
I cant find out what I'v got wrong, and I'm sure it's something silly...
why do I have to power off / on the chip for it to run a newly downloaded program?
Pressing F7 reports version 1 propeller on com 4...
pressing 12 finds, programs ram, programs eeprom, verifies eeprom...
but the only way to get the downloaded program to run is power off/on the boad.
what gives?
3.31 volts to the eeprom, propeller on pins (both pins) 12 and 32...
gnd on propeller pins 9 and 29
5 mhz xtal on 30 & 31
pins· 40 & 39 to the usb2ser, 38 & 37 to the eeprom (with 4.7K pull ups on each)...
eeprom pins 1-4 and 7 to gnd
eeprom pins 5&6 go to 38 & 37 on the propeller
I mean to say is every thing is working... downloading to ram or eeprom...
and the program does run, only after power cycling the board...
ideas anyone?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
Just tossing my two bits worth into the bit bucket

KK
·

Comments

• Charlie JohnsonCharlie Johnson Posts: 147
    edited 2006-05-18 20:38
    F12 just loads EEPROM, try F11 to Load EEPROM + Run
  • cgraceycgracey Posts: 14,133
    edited 2006-05-18 21:49
    F12 was provided for the odd case where you want to download your program into the EEPROM, but not run it until the next power-up. Does anyone have any compelling opinion about getting rid of this feature or keeping it? Its existence·might be more of a complication to the average user than a benefit. I'm not sure it earns its keep.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Chip Gracey
    Parallax, Inc.

Post Edited (Chip Gracey (Parallax)) : 5/18/2006 9:53:24 PM GMT
  • Kaos KiddKaos Kidd Posts: 614
    edited 2006-05-18 21:57
    Oh boy do I feel foolish...
    Yah... it works... /duh on me
    thanks.... within seconds after posting it I had my moment of reality...

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Just tossing my two bits worth into the bit bucket

KK
    ·
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2006-05-18 21:58
    If I have a program that is intended to run in a board different from the one I use for programming, I might want to just load it into the EEPROM without running it. It's not the common usage, but it does make sense occasionally.
  • Stan671Stan671 Posts: 103
    edited 2006-05-19 03:04
    I don't use the F12, but I sure use the F10 A LOT!· It is great to be able to just pound the latest version of tweaks into RAM and·test them without erasing the last good program in EEPROM (and wearing out the EEPROM).· Once I have a good working version, I just F11-it and then go on to the next set of program modifications, etc, etc, etc.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Stan Dobrowski
  • SSteveSSteve Posts: 808
    edited 2006-05-19 04:43
    I wouldn't lament too long if F12 was removed, but I have used it a few times when I was programming the Demo Board and then taking it over to the TV before running the program. If there isn't a big reason to remove it (e.g. generating lots of support calls) I'd prefer it stayed.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    OS-X: because making Unix user-friendly was easier than debugging Windows
  • LoopyBytelooseLoopyByteloose Posts: 12,537
    edited 2006-05-19 05:51
    I am sure there are robotic situations where you would like to download to EEPROM and then later start the program via a power up.

You might want to physically get things positioned to make observations, etc. Besides, what are you going to do with the key? If you need it for something else, replace it. Otherwise, it might be useful.

Personally, I nearly never use a Funcition Key for anything. I really don't know why, but they all seem redundant and hard to reach. Maybe, it was my original touch typing training on a typewriter.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    "When all think alike, no one is thinking very much.' - Walter Lippmann (1889-1974)

······································································ Warm regards,····· G. Herzog [noparse][[/noparse]·黃鶴 ]·in Taiwan
  • Paul BakerPaul Baker Posts: 6,351
    edited 2006-05-19 14:02
    Good point Kramer, last thing you want is your Prop-BOT to skitter off the table when you program it (assuming you didn't include a 3 position switch as is on the BOE).

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    1+1=10